Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread: Destroy All Monsters

WHAM seems a lot more willing to throw an error and let the user deal with the problem than DAM, which more often than not will forge ahead (occasionally getting you beaten up in the process). Both of these scenarios are useful depending on playstyle at the time. Often I'd prefer a small chance of failure in return for a more automated approach. Other times I want to be a bit more optimal (often when in-run), then WHAM seems to be preferable. Or BatMan RE, which is ridiculously awesome, too.

Also I'm lazy enough that if WHAM stopped to let me deal with the combat I'd just switch to DAM mid-fight to let mafia deal with it, although I'm aware this is a terrible, terrible idea

Personally I think it would be better for the community if you both fostered a strong resentment for one another, driving you to constantly one-up each other with your combat scripts, but that's probably just me...

I think what I'm trying to say is that I'll miss being quite so spoiled for choice!

EDIT: This is all based on my extremely anecdotal evidence, I should add.
    Originally Posted by zanmatoer View Post

There is a WHAM-zlib variable called WHAM_AlwaysContinue that is currently not used. Would re-purposing this variable to always enqueue the current best option, executing that and reassessing be a potential way to make the script slightly riskier and thus fit your style better?
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit
    Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Scripts maintained by me:
    Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:
    Wife: Honey, please go to the market and buy 1 bottle of milk. If they have eggs, bring 6.
    The man came back with 6 bottles of milk.
    Wife: Why did you buy 6 bottles of milk.
    Man: Because they had eggs...

The 6 Stages of Debugging: 1 )That can't happen. 2) That shouldn't happen. 3) Hmmm, weird. 4) Why does that happen? 5) Oh, I see. 6 )How did that ever work?

All programs can be optimized, and all programs have bugs; therefore all programs can be optimized to one line that doesn’t work. /Bob Fitch, Blizzard

There is a WHAM-zlib variable called WHAM_AlwaysContinue that is currently not used.
    Originally Posted by Winterbay View Post
    Wrong thread but my biggest frustration with WHAM is when it aborts and then my next attack kills the monster. Now that I know the variable does nothing I'd vote for making it do something useful.

Wrong place to discuss, but my ideal combat option (script or CSS) would do the following:

Phase I of the Implementation:
    Almost never return to manual control.
    Almost never get me beaten up.
    Stasis for the gremlins.
    Identify spheres.
    Identify potions.
    Select between and execute physical and elemental attacks when monster is resistant.
    Restore MP or HP when the alternative is losing the combat.

(Yes, except for gremlins, I have pretty much described a well developed CCS and native mafia functionality).

Phase II would include Phase I plus:
    Stasis when it is both safe and profitable.
    Destroy the monster "efficiently" where efficiency takes into account the cost of consumables used in the fight and the cost or restoring MP and HP lost but never places efficiency above defeating the monster.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

Sorry for my absence, exams happened.

Thanks for your replies guys, love this community! To answer your question Winterbay, that WHAM_AlwaysContinue idea sounds perfect.
    http://bumcheekcity.com/kol/profile.php?u=zanmatoer

Thank you coders for a fantastic tool and scriptwriters for all the scripts that enhance it!

Yay! If you like Winterbay's suggestion then a long held dream can come true...
    One combat script to rule them all, One combat script to find them,
    One combat script to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    If people like my scripts, please send me stuffed Hodgmen.
    Universal Recovery, OCD Inventory Control, CounterChecker, newLife, ChIT.

Sorry for my absence, exams happened.

Thanks for your replies guys, love this community! To answer your question Winterbay, that WHAM_AlwaysContinue idea sounds perfect.
    Originally Posted by zanmatoer View Post
    Then you'll be happy to learn that it's been implemented
    I even turned it on myself and have not been beaten up yet (it's great with the bugbears that are unspaded and so setting a unknown_ml at a point of that it fails to find a killer action it can still execute things and win).
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit
    Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Scripts maintained by me:
    Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:
    Wife: Honey, please go to the market and buy 1 bottle of milk. If they have eggs, bring 6.
    The man came back with 6 bottles of milk.
    Wife: Why did you buy 6 bottles of milk.
    Man: Because they had eggs...

The 6 Stages of Debugging: 1 )That can't happen. 2) That shouldn't happen. 3) Hmmm, weird. 4) Why does that happen? 5) Oh, I see. 6 )How did that ever work?

All programs can be optimized, and all programs have bugs; therefore all programs can be optimized to one line that doesn’t work. /Bob Fitch, Blizzard

I'll test it out as soon as this firefighting event is done.

Thanks!
    http://bumcheekcity.com/kol/profile.php?u=zanmatoer

Thank you coders for a fantastic tool and scriptwriters for all the scripts that enhance it!