Re: Discussion of Standards

I do not have a lot to add, but I will touch upon what I can.

1) Of course we put scripts in code tags. We are, at least, hobbyist programmers here. :p

2) I have started to attach my scripts. I see a small problem with this: It is hard to see the attached file at the end of the post. Can we alter the color of the link, maybe make it a bigger font, or something to make it stand out a bit more? Until people get used to looking for it, we need to draw attention to it better.

3) Agreed, and trying.

4) I am on the fence here. The only thing I strive for is that multiple scripts that do the same thing be allowed, and encouraged. KoLmafia's scripting engine (especially with ASH) allows for multiple ways to perform the same task. At least until we have shared our scripting routines for a while, it is hard to decide which way is most efficient.

5) I certainly do not ask for a separate board for each quest... But if you get an influx of different ways to handle them, then that might be how we have to go.

But as long as I am in a discusion thread, this repository is a damn good idea! I heartily approve!

It also nudges me to keep working on my scripts that I was complacent with...

[quote author=Presto Ragu link=topic=18.msg40#msg40 date=1143530479]
5)  I certainly do not ask for a separate board for each quest...  But if you get an influx of different ways to handle them, then that might be how we have to go.
[/quote]

One way to deal with this is to have a sticky post at the top of the "Quests" category that gets updated with links to each new thread; that way we have a table of contents or directory that makes it easy to locate scripts, and could be sorted by quest regardless of the order the original posts are in.

Tirian

Yes, scrollbars and scroll wheel make paging fun!

I agree with the decision. The scripts are likely to be very similar, and I suspect that one author might like seeing the features that another author wrote and update her script to make something even better.