New Content - Rejected Elemental resistance changes

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
August 10 - Items and effects that give you elemental resistance have been made to work better at the low end.
Has this been spaded? I suspect that there are scripts that depend on this, but KoLmafia's built-in basement helpers (reporting the expected damage for elemental tests, in particular), probably need to deal with this, too.

Bale

Minion
Jick actually gave us the lowdown on the forum so the spading was just confirmation that he was accurate. He was.

Simply, if base damage is below 30, it is treated as if it were 30 damage for determining how much elemental resistance reduces. eg, if a player has 1 level of Hot resistance, which provides 10% resistance, and would take 5 Hot damage, it is reduced by 10% of 30, which is 3, so the player would take 2 Hot damage. Minimum damage is still 1.

Since this only affects the low end of damage, this won't affect the Basement, but it is probably good to fix anyway. At least the coding to add this minimum shouldn't be too tricky.

I would think it would be relevant for stasis scripts and any other script that changes behavior depending on how heavily you're getting hit.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Does this need any mafia implementation? Mafia still correctly states how much resistance you have, and it's up to scripts to figure out how much damage a monster will do anyway, so I think any changes needed are in scripts rather than in mafia.

Theraze

As Veracity said, things like the automated basement helper probably need to be updated for this... otherwise, it's mainly on scripts to calculate.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I suppose the basement helper is technically inaccurate for the first 3 floors in the basement... floor 4 is 31.3 base damage from each element. I don't think it's worth changing anything in mafia for that.

Theraze

Does mafia have automatic daily dungeon handling or anything else?

I think the bottom line on this is that unless it's implemented, it shouldn't get marked as such, but depending on the developers, it might just be getting marked as Won't Implement...

Bale

Minion
Does mafia have automatic daily dungeon handling

Yes, but it is such a basic implementation that this is irrelevant to it.

I think that this change is really only relevant to mafia in calculating damage for the first three floors of the basement.

zarqon

Glad this got bumped -- I've tweaked the monster damage formula in BatBrain to account for this. I agree with lostcalpoly, I don't think any mafia change is needed here.