Character Info Toolbox

Bale

Minion
That screenshot was helpful. It clued me exactly what stage of the proceedings at which the problem exists.

Update and try now.

Last edited:
I like the gear section, and the way it automatically recommends stuff like ML or non-combat.

I don't like how it includes craftables, which can cost me precious free crafts with a misclick (also with minimal layout there's no visual indicator to differentiate them from stuff I already have).

I've amended chit_available() in my own copy, so that creatable_amount() is not considered. I just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to further bloat chit's options for people like me :)

Bale

Minion
I really like being able to cook unstable fulminate & equip it in one mouse click. Until this month I enjoyed being able to create my Smithsness gear there also. You actually removed that convenience?

Is the problem actually that you want a visual warning when using the minimal layout? I primarily use the default layout which has such a warning and never realized that would be an issue for minimalists.

Visual warnings in minimal would be a good idea, but I still probably wouldn't want craftables showing up there at all - or at least ones that cost me free crafts.

I don't find the increased convenience to be worth having buttons that cause irreversible resource usage in an interface I regularly use. It's the same reason I like the approach of Ezandora's Guide - which never takes any irreversible actions for you, and instead points you to the places you can perform those actions manually. This makes clicking anything in the interface "safe".

(Although I'm not suggesting chit completely follow that approach, since I do like one-click upbuffing and hp/mp restores)

Bale

Minion
I read your changelogs too, and those are both features I've wished for :)

I'm glad not the only one who thinks it is somewhat cool that I've found a simplistic heuristic to decide which equipment in inventory might be worth recommending to the user. It's nice to know someone else cares about these cute little features I enjoy.

Now I just need to adapt the gear brick as a potential stat section...

Last edited:
In the spirit of passing local changes back to the main branch, here's a version of charpane.ash which puts 0 turn effects into their own section.
This includes kol's native "expired effects", and mafia's 0 turn effects from moods. It also adds mafia style "up arrows" to kol's native expired effects.
If the effect belongs to a subgroup then it's placed at the top of the subgroup instead of in the expired div (e.g. expired songs appear in the songs div).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dau6k08005vz6gr/charpane.ash?dl=1

Last edited:

Hellno

Minor thing but if you have Walford's Bucket equipped, it'll say 0% progress even if you haven't accepted a quest. Would be nice if there was some sort of cue to remind you to accept the quest first.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
You think it should be red if you have equipped the bucket, but not accepted a quest?

Can we make this another color?
So many colors in the spectrum, why use the same one for two different things? I hear orange is a nice hue.

Bale

Minion
Because red means, "Warning -- Something is bad." Orange means, "This is a tasty fruit."

Not that I hate the idea, but having two different types of warnings implies that I expect the user has read the user manual and remembers the difference between code red and code orange. That seems unnecessarily complicated, but please try to change my mind by telling what I do not understand about your criticism.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I guess for me, red means "Warning - You do not have Walford's bucket equipped!"
But this new state (bucket equipped, no quest) is different. This Orange color still means "Warning", its just a different warning.
Those who don't read every page of this forum or RTFM just see some bright color change and know something is wrong. Isn't that sufficient for most, whether it is red or orange?

As an alternative, we could style the text with a css class for "nobucket" and a different one for "noquest". Make the default color red for both, but I could change my chit_custom.css to be different if I so desire.

Bale

Minion
How does chit_custom.css work? You've got a line to add a second css file with a higher priority so that you can easily make various css changes? I feel like you explained this once before, but I only dimly remember.

Bale

Minion
I made the change that Hellno requeted since that makes sense to me. I also did it the way that ckb desired, because it wasn't taxing and he deserves it.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
How does chit_custom.css work? You've got a line to add a second css file with a higher priority so that you can easily make various css changes? I feel like you explained this once before, but I only dimly remember.

The beauty of cascading style sheets is that they cascade. So you can have multiple css files that define the same thing, and the last one wins. In this case, if you have a chit_custom.css, you can tweak the css you want, ignore the rest, and the custom css will be used wherever it matches the default chit.css names.

so in chit.css, you define:
.walford_done
.walford_nobucket
.walford_noquest

In my chit_custom.css, I create a definition only for
.walford_noquest

I get the others from the defuult chit.css entries.

Last edited: