Bug - Waiting for Info Running Ubuntu 10.10 - mafia freezing on login screen

shn00gin

So, this may be a bug that exists on my computer's side, not mafia's...

I've tried 3 daily builds now. The first two froze at "Retrieving character data"
9134 is currently frozen (and has been for about 10 minutes) at "Loading character status"
I'm assuming both points of the login process are the same, only the names have changed to protect the innocent.

Can anyone help me with this? It's been months since I first had this problem, so I don't remember if one of my update packages included a java update that's causing this to happen or what...

Please note that I'm not incredibly tech savvy anymore (haven't done anything with command lines or code for about 10 years) - I use Ubuntu because it's the most user-friendly of the linux line... and I hate winblows.

shn00gin

Running the latest version of OpenJDK - also tried running the latest build from Sun yesterday... Um, as far as how I'm running the daily builds, I'm just enabling the "allow executing file as a program" option on the JAR file and just opening it. Do I need to do something on the command line?

holatuwol

Developer
You don't need to, but if you use the terminal application for your preferred window/desktop manager and start KoLmafia using "java -jar KoLmafia-xyz.jar", then the output on the terminal application will tell you what went wrong. It's entirely possible that KoLmafia just doesn't have access to your home folder to write to the ".kolmafia" folder that it uses by default, or something equally cryptic and hard to debug without any terminal output.

That being said, when I was testing KoLmafia on Xubuntu (I prefer XKDE if I need to use some distro of Linux over OSX / Windows, but it should work the same in regular Ubuntu), I remember that KoLmafia ran just fine after using Synaptic to remove OpenJDK and install the Sun JDK from the commercial partners repository.

shn00gin

I used Synaptic, trying to take the easier way out... to no avail. This is what the terminal outputs:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2786)
at java.lang.StringCoding.safeTrim(StringCoding.java:64)
at java.lang.StringCoding.access$300(StringCoding.java:34)
at java.lang.StringCoding$StringEncoder.encode(StringCoding.java:251)
at java.lang.StringCoding.encode(StringCoding.java:272)
at java.lang.StringCoding.encode(StringCoding.java:284)
at java.lang.String.getBytes(String.java:986)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.saveToFile(Preferences.java:526)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setObject(Preferences.java:494)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setString(Preferences.java:446)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setString(Preferences.java:283)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistence.ItemDatabase.getDustyBottles(ItemDatabase.java:2065)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.resetPerAscensionData(KoLCharacter.java:646)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSessionData(KoLmafia.java:957)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSession(KoLmafia.java:903)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.initialize(KoLmafia.java:808)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.initialize(KoLmafiaGUI.java:141)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.login(KoLmafia.java:703)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:425)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1563)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1493)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1205)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1095)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:278)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:73)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.initialize(KoLmafiaGUI.java:115)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.main(KoLmafia.java:480)

at this point, would you start to modify allocation parameters with -Xms and -Xmx ???

shn00gin

More terminal output fun!
I tried opening the adventure window while Mafia was frozen at the "character status" page.
When that populated with some of the correct information, I went ahead and tried to play around with the relay browser.
I could navigate around the map a little, but that's about it. Here are my results:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream.write(ByteArrayOutputStream.java:94)
at java.io_OutputStream.write(OutputStream.java:58)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.saveToFile(Preferences.java:526)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setObject(Preferences.java:494)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setString(Preferences.java:446)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.preferences.Preferences.setString(Preferences.java:283)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistence.ItemDatabase.getDustyBottles(ItemDatabase.java:2065)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.resetPerAscensionData(KoLCharacter.java:646)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSessionData(KoLmafia.java:957)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSession(KoLmafia.java:903)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.initialize(KoLmafia.java:808)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.initialize(KoLmafiaGUI.java:141)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.login(KoLmafia.java:703)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:425)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1563)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1493)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1205)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:1095)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:278)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:313)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:73)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.initialize(KoLmafiaGUI.java:115)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.main(KoLmafia.java:480)
Exception in thread "LocalRelayAgent0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLAdventure.recordToSession(KoLAdventure.java:1659)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.AdventureRequest.registerEncounter(AdventureRequest.java:427)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1824)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1787)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1471)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.RelayRequest.run(RelayRequest.java:1782)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.readServerResponse(RelayAgent.java:453)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.performRelay(RelayAgent.java:143)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.run(RelayAgent.java:120)
Exception in thread "LocalRelayAgent1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.AdventureRequest.registerEncounter(AdventureRequest.java:467)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1824)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1787)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1471)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.webui.RelayAgent.readServerResponse(RelayAgent.java:453)
Exception in thread "LocalRelayAgent2" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLAdventure.recordToSession(KoLAdventure.java:1659)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.AdventureRequest.registerEncounter(AdventureRequest.java:427)
Exception in thread "LocalRelayAgent4" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
[ConditionalEventPump] Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "ShutdownThread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

shn00gin

Maybe. If you open up the adventure frame before you login, how much memory does the little meter next to the garbage can say it has?

Growl... I just tried to post a reply and my session timed out while I was trying to explain what was going on with mafia...
So, on a re-try:
28282 KB / 456960 KB

Upon login, it immediately jumps up to
284115 KB / 456960 KB

Last time, it jumped to over 380000 KB

Either way, it continues to climb and Mafia still says "Loading character status..."

The Terminal still has the same output... The strings may vary, but the same problem exists.

Even when I quit, it says:

Exception in thread "ShutdownThread" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

holatuwol

Developer
Well, I tried OpenJDK on Xubuntu 10.10 and I didn't see any odd memory behavior other than the massive initial memory allocation of 500mb that you also saw (memory usage stayed below 30mb during the whole login process). So that says to me that you're still using OpenJDK, but that OpenJDK is probably not the problem (or that even if it is, it's only part of the problem).

The only other reason I can think of is KoLmafia is getting confused by something it sees during your login. Go to Help > Debug Log and try to login and upload the debug somewhere (either here as a forum attachment, or send me an email at my hotmail account (just this username @ hotmail.com) and I can check it out.