Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Skill/CS planner

(why doesn't this site allow .rar?)
    Originally Posted by bordemstirs View Post
    Because people like me who run mafia on a Windows box don't want to clutter it up any more than necessary by installing 7Zip or something similar. The native support for zip files has certainly made me less interested in content that uses a different archive and compression format. Of course that was a rhetorical question...

Somewhat related, I actually would prefer two plain text files with instructions about where to put them rather than a smart package that knows what directories they belong in. I have no idea why I feel that way. Must be the Luddite coming out.

I see that you have some ideas so I won't try and elaborate on my report, but I will add that there are no SKILL entries in the relavent planner_user.txt files.

Tangentially, mafia seems to have an implicit naming convention along the lines of user_tag.txt as in the prefs, mood and session files. Any particular reason why you chose to reverse it? Since I am running three characters out of the same directory I am pretty used to sorting by filename if I want to clean things up.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Because people like me who run mafia on a Windows box don't want to clutter it up any more than necessary by installing 7Zip or something similar.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    <looks at quote, look at his copy of 7-zip, Firefox, OpenOffice, Skype, Trillian, Notepad++, iTunes> ... So what you're saying is I shouldn't get Diablo 3 since I already have Solitaire? Heh, this is coming from a guy who had crashes BECAUSE Explorer tried to open a zip file ^^
    --
    The worst crime you can commit against another human being is to make them think.

Because people like me who run mafia on a Windows box don't want to clutter it up any more than necessary
    <looks at quote, look at his copy of 7-zip, Firefox, OpenOffice, Skype, Trillian, Notepad++, iTunes> ... So what you're saying is I shouldn't get Diablo 3 since I already have Solitaire? Heh, this is coming from a guy who had crashes BECAUSE Explorer tried to open a zip file ^^
    Originally Posted by Fluxxdog View Post
    *snickers at examples of what must clearly be necessary clutter except maybe iTunes*
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Because people like me who run mafia on a Windows box don't want to clutter it up any more than necessary by installing 7Zip or something similar.
    This has got to be the worst line of reasoning I've ever heard. I think you might be the first person EVER that prefers Windows' native handling of zip over ANY OTHER archiving utility available. WinRar is better, period. (See also: Windows' native handling of ... EVERYTHING ELSE)

I see that you have some ideas so I won't try and elaborate on my report, but I will add that there are no SKILL entries in the relavent planner_user.txt files.
    This should be fixed with the most recent version, try again and let me know.

Tangentially, mafia seems to have an implicit naming convention along the lines of user_tag.txt as in the prefs, mood and session files. Any particular reason why you chose to reverse it? Since I am running three characters out of the same directory I am pretty used to sorting by filename if I want to clean things up.
    Convention? That would require me to be aware of said convention (which I guess I might have been and simply ignored), and it makes far more sense to me for the data files to be ordered by the script that generated them rather than the user.

edit to add:
    Code:
    readme.txt

The files in folder X go in folder X.
    Last edited by bordemstirs; 01-12-2011 at 08:27 PM.

*snickers at examples of what must clearly be necessary clutter except maybe iTunes*
    iTunes should be avoided like the plague, unless you have an iProduct I guess. Horrible, horrible program.

First, can we please leave the OS-wars to elsewhere everyone? I already have to ignore enough of that on other sites as it is.

Also, while I would prefer the mafia convention for naming data files IF we could specify sub-directories to the map loading & saving functions, since we can't, I agree that it makes more sense for them to end up with the same prefix for each script.
    Before you ask, please check the FAQ.
    Veracity: My "humble opinion" trumps your "humble opinion". IMHO.

That does appear to be the 'standard' for user scripts... AdventureAdvisor_Theraze.txt, custd_Theraze_commands, custd_Theraze_custom, custd_Theraze_settings, custd_Theraze_values, OCD_Theraze_Data, and vars_Theraze. Of the 4 scripts in data folder that store based on user name, all 4 are scriptprefix_UserName.

Well to be fair, Theraze, using half data files by me as your examples isn't exactly independent verification.
    Last edited by StDoodle; 01-12-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: files not scripts
    Before you ask, please check the FAQ.
    Veracity: My "humble opinion" trumps your "humble opinion". IMHO.

OCD_Theraze_Data
    Originally Posted by Theraze View Post
    Fitting example considering the discussion, no?

Just saying that there's 4 scripts currently storing stuff in my data folder currently and all of them are doing script_name. While the other folders generally do name_specifics instead, the data folder doesn't have anything official with a character name.

If we want to make Veracity give an aggrieved huff, we could point to zlib using it as authoritative.