Skill/CS planner

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This has got to be the worst line of reasoning I've ever heard....
plus more that I have snipped out.

You and I are just not going to get along, are we? *sigh*

The skill images now appear. Thank you. The skills are color coded for two of three characters but if I am reading it right the script thinks my never ascended character has no skills.

I understand "red", "green", "blue", "black" and "cyan", but I need external information to know what colors #A0A0A0, #00C0E0, and #00FF00 represent. Since the Options section serves as a Legend as well, you might consider a limited, but more friendly way of specifying colors. Personally that is a level of customization that I would be comfortable editing a script to obtain.

I note that mafia observes the file naming convention I described but of all the data files I have, only my scripts also observe the convention. So, if majority usage creates convention I will adopt a script_player.txt naming convention for my futer revisions and efforts.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Look for OCDdata.
If you find it, cool.
If not, look for OCD_....
If you find it, write OCDdata.

Henceforth, you will use the new data file and the user can delete the old one.

Bale

Minion
Y'know... That's pretty awesome idea.

This annoyance is the one thing that was keeping me from getting around to implementing some people's desire to specify their data file. I'll do the two things at the same time and let people optionally specify the <name> part of OCDdata_<name>.

I guess I'm gonna go upgrade OCD in the next day or two to fix that. Thanks Veracity.

StDoodle

Minion
But the big question is, why aren't you running a case conversion on names? Doesn't that matter on some OS's, or does mafia override that behavior? (/me ducks)

You and I are just not going to get along, are we? *sigh*
I see no reason why we can't get along. My attack wasn't at you, necessarily, just at Windows .Zip management.
The skills are color coded for two of three characters but if I am reading it right the script thinks my never ascended character has no skills.
Aside from the small handful of skills that are automatically marked HP, isn't that true?
I understand "red", "green", "blue", "black" and "cyan", but I need external information to know what colors #A0A0A0, #00C0E0, and #00FF00 represent.
This was just to let you know that #rrggbb colors are also supported; should you choose to use named colors, you're welcome to do so. As for needing to know what those hex values are in the meantime, well... you should have some vague idea of which skills you've permed and can deduce them by looking at the small border around the image.

AlbinoRhino

I think there might be some errors in the way the script is counting skills. My softcore character has 111 ascensions and the script reports 5 hardcore permanent skills and 106 softcore permanent. However, there are actually 111 softcore permanent skills and 5 hardcore permanent. The 5 hardcore are stickers, rainbow gravitation, candy hearts, olfaction & vent rage gland which were all obtained during various softcore runs when another skill was also made softcore permanent.

zarqon

Chiming in: I prefer commonelement_specificelement as a file naming convention since it groups related data and makes it easier to find information. Digital photographers have long been doing this with filenames.

Last edited:

Winterbay

Aside from the small handful of skills that are automatically marked HP, isn't that true?

Well, permed certainly but they still have the skills bought which is a important thing in planning what to take (you can't take it if you haven't bought it).

you can't take it if you haven't bought it
Which mafia will surely point out before you ascend. You can plan many runs in advance with this script, from a pool of -all the skills- not just what you have. So showing which skills you currently have available to -use- seems, to me at least, an extra bit of data my eyes don't want see when planning future runs.

I suppose I could add support and default the color to match the Don't Have It color. Curse you.

I think there might be some errors in the way the script is counting skills
Darn. One more bug for me to stare at until its reasoning becomes obvious.

EDIT: Is there some subset of permable skills that my script merely doesn't contain? (That I know of, only obsoleted skills are in this category) Because the counting method is pretty straightforward, the only way to miscount really, would be if the script A) failed to register that you had the skill in the first place, or B) fails to recognize the skill at all.
EDIT2: Also highly likely is that I misspelled a skill. Which would cause A). I'd hate to ask you to look through 111 skills to see which didn't get marked though. Ew.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Code:
ash skill[string, string, string]map; string[string, string, string]map2; file_to_map("Planner.txt",map); file_to_map("Planner.txt", map2); foreach i,j in map["SKILL"] if(map["SKILL",i,j] == $skill[none]) print(map2["SKILL",i,j]);
spits out the following:
Code:
Kung Fu Hustler
Crossbow_Fever
Summon "Tasteful" Gifts
Cannolloni Coccoon
Flavor of Magic
Jaba�ero Saucesphere
Jalape�o Saucesphere

Flavour has a u, "Cannelloni cocoon", jabanero/jalapeno are fine without any fancy lettering. Crossbow Fever should have a space, not an underscore, and Tasteful should be "Summon Tasteful Items". Kung Fu Hustler just isn't implemented yet.

"Summon Tasteful Items". Kung Fu Hustler just isn't implemented yet.

You are my hero.
EDIT: Kung Fu would still work as to_skill isn't ever used in my script. Facepalm.

As for Tasteful Items, I use skills.php to gather that info... does Tasteful have quotes in the drop down, does anyone know?

Last edited:

peacy

Nice one. I am interested to see where it is going.

I found out that your background changing is not working in chrome.
If you change:
PHP:
write(".skhcperm {color:");
writeln(getOpt("skillhc")+";}");
writeln(".skhcperm img {width:30px; height:30px; border-width:5px}");
to:
PHP:
write(".skhcperm img {width:30px; height:30px; border:5px solid ");
writeln(getOpt("skillhc")+";}");
the problem seems to be fixed. Same for the other skills as well.

Also a cosmetic thing that does not currently probably do anything but you can drag already permed skills into the perm box.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member

There may be an operator expectation error. My perfect tool would display three different categories of skills - skills that are HC perm'd, skills that are SC perm'd and skills that are currently possessed. The order is deliberate because of the subset relationship between them. Report the skill in the most restrictive subset. There are also skills that exist but are not possessed.

In other words I was expecting a skill to have one of four status values: Skill exists; Skill exists and is possessed; Skill exists and is SC perm'd; and Skill exists and is HC perm'd.

My bug report might be rephrased as saying that the skills I possess but are not perm'd either way are showing up with the same color as the skills I don't possess.

Given your response, it may very well be that the script deliberately does not make that distinction, in which case This Isn't The Script I Am Looking For. My problem, not yours and I will use it for some of my characters, just not all.

This was just to let you know that #rrggbb colors are also supported; should you choose to use named colors, you're welcome to do so. As for needing to know what those hex values are in the meantime, well... you should have some vague idea of which skills you've permed and can deduce them by looking at the small border around the image.

Since the default values were #rrggbb it was not clear that any other format was acceptable input. I infer from your response that named colors can be used and it is my sincere hope that when I go to try that out the display will continue to have the name I understand and not revert to #rrggbb.

Note my response above. The reason #rrggbb was a PITA for me was because the character I was using did not have enough skills color coded for me to infer what the colors mean.

Speaking of colors, when the script meets your satisfaction you might consider explaining why you have grouped things together with background colors. Some of the groupings make no sense to me and I presume that is because I lack some key KoL knowledge since my play is casual and sub-optimal.

AlbinoRhino

It seems to be failing to detect that Cannelloni Cocoon is hardcore permed on another character. "Cocoon" is spelled "Coccoon" in the script.

It keeps getting better and better !

Last edited:
In other words I was expecting a skill to have one of four status values: Skill exists; Skill exists and is possessed; Skill exists and is SC perm'd; and Skill exists and is HC perm'd.

My bug report might be rephrased as saying that the skills I possess but are not perm'd either way are showing up with the same color as the skills I don't possess.

Given your response, it may very well be that the script deliberately does not make that distinction, in which case This Isn't The Script I Am Looking For.
I suppose I could add support and default the color to match the Don't Have It color. Curse you.
Changelog:
2010.01.12: v1.5 added skills currently available to planner. Defaults to match skills not permed. Adjust accordingly
fronobulax said:
it is my sincere hope that when I go to try that out the display will continue to have the name I understand and not revert to #rrggbb.
The script doesn't really do anything with what you put in the boxes but save it and insert it into the final HTML, so however you type it it will stay that way.
fronobulax said:
Speaking of colors, when the script meets your satisfaction you might consider explaining why you have grouped things together with background colors. Some of the groupings make no sense to me and I presume that is because I lack some key KoL knowledge since my play is casual and sub-optimal.
Some of the colors are designed to fit the skill sets they represent, however for a few of the more broad sets of skills, I couldn't think of a color that "fit" so I was really just sort of attempting to find a color that didn't clash horribly with the colors already present.
If anyone has a better idea for Traveling Trader, Hodg, AT Hobop, and Crimbo skill colors, let me know and I'll see how it looks. I'm not all that satisfied with the copious amount of pink either.
EDIT: So, upon re-reading I noticed you were questioning the groups themselves and not the colors chosen. In which case I could perhaps better answer if I knew which particular groups you were having trouble grasping. Most are pretty straightforward, and there's even the first column that contains the identifier of the primary information in a given row (some of which are links themselves, if you'd like to follow them for possible clarification.)
"Cocoon" is spelled "Coccoon" in the script.
I should just quit now... I had two typos in one skill, and only fixed half. Wow.

Last edited:

AlbinoRhino

So close ! It's now reporting 5 hardcore and 110 softcore. Error is occurring at Disco Bandit, level 11.

From the Wiki:
On March 18, 2008, the skill was renamed from "Crossbow Fever" to "Disco Fever" and was applied to all ranged weapons. Previously, the bonus had applied only to crossbows.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
EDIT: So, upon re-reading I noticed you were questioning the groups themselves and not the colors chosen.

Rainbow gravitation. The sub-column beginning with the Ballad of Richie Thingfinder.

I recognize that the layout is a somewhat arbitrary preference so my question is whether you had some gameplay related reason for creating the groups that include the above skills. Thanks.