bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Theraze

Done. Interestingly, mafia doesn't seem to be aware that drinking it fails - it successfully removes it from inventory and everything. Not like it's a huge issue, and if I remember to verify if that's how other drinks work or if it's a part of special steel margarita code, I should write up a bug post on it.

Anyways, BCA should skip getting SM on future GN runs. Yay. Meh.

snooty

1) Okay, will check. You do have enough meat for the purchase? You said you have autoSatisfyWithNPCs on. How about autoSatisfyWithCoinmasters? If you have the problem happen again, check npc_price forged identification documents.
2) Mafia will prefer to have familiars equipped as opposed to not, so if it's the only equipment available to it, it'll use it. If you do have generic gear though, it'll fight you.

UR is the best when it comes to spending meat restoring HP/MP. Familiars that restore it automatically means much lower need for UR in-run, which is why I liked NZPR before we had standard, and the Cocoabo now. They both restore HP/MP and give you some bonus meat randomly.

Sorry for the delay.

1) Yes, and also yes. Could there be a price other than 5k? That's just weird. Or whatever the amount is. It will likely be about a month before I ascend again, will try to remember to do the check npc_price thing, fingers crossed.
2) I had both, even when I closeted generic gear BCA would remove the spigot. Which just makes no sense. Mafia recognizes the spigot and auto-equips it after BCA unequips it, but only if I'm adving "manually" with mafia.

I've never used Bale's UR. Never saw a need for it when mafia has that aspect squared away.

Theraze

1) Maybe. Anything is possible, including mafia not being aware that you'd unlocked the market due to having a text mangler disrupt the parsing that marks it as available. That's the reason for using npc_price to verify that mafia knows it's unlocked. :)
2) I think when mafia removes the gear, it's usually that it believes that it's not actually the gear for that familiar. But r17907 does show that as the proper familiar_equipment for the mimic, so... no clue. Maybe verify using the maximizer manually that mafia is actually telling it to strip it, and then give us which maximizer string is stripping it? Just tested and for me, it stays equipped, so unfortunately this isn't a case where I can just fix it without further information from you, because that problem doesn't happen for me. Sorry.

3) Yes, mafia takes care of restoration, in the same way your feet can take care of getting you across the country. A car is usually more efficient though. Doesn't mean that the feet don't work, but...

snooty

After all these exchanges there's a good chance something will nag at me when I ascend again, you know, that feeling you've forgotten something? And then I'll remember to check back here =D

1) I've never heard of/used npc_price before, if that's all it needs that's even easier than buying the ID in-browser!
2) That first part doesn't make any sense, if it didn't think the bung spigot went with the mimic, why would it ever equip it in the first place without being forced to? Regardless, will check that next time. No need to apologize, I appreciate that you take your time to try to help us at all.
3) I was trying to not be offensive to anyone, especially Bale. When I did consider UR back in the day, there was something about it I didn't like. It's been way too long since then for me to even remember what that was. Which is extremely unhelpful to anyone but me. So, make fun of my feets all you like, they've always gotten me where I need to go.

Theraze

1) The npc_price function was added to let you know if an item can be purchased from an npc currently, and if so, at which price. If npc_price is greater than 0, then mafia knows that the market is unlocked. If npc_price is 0, then it believes that it's not available yet, and that's why BCA is failing. If npc_price is greater than 0, and you have enough meat for whatever it is, and buy forged identification documents gets them for you, then something is definitely wrong with BCA.
2) Basically the start was just that current latest mafia doesn't strip it for me because mafia knows that it belongs. When familiars are new, mafia's maximizer will strip them of their gear. After mafia knows they go together, it shouldn't. Basically, when it's stripping your barrel, equip the spigot manually, switch to the maximizer tab or window, and re-run the most recent maximizer string and look at what it suggest. It should say that it is unequipping the spigot. When it does so, please post the maximizer string and we can sort out why +regen is a bad thing. :)
3) It's a personal choice and that's fine. :) Use whatever you prefer; some people prefer to walk, some prefer faster transport. Both are legitimate options, but both also have their reasons for existing. If you start to reminisce about the length of a walking journey though, expect some people to suggest driving. If you mention you're using a restoration familiar rather than an item or meat drop familiar, expect some people to suggest using improved restoration scripts. :)

snooty

1) Awesome! Thanks for the detailed explanation..
2) Got it, will do when I get there.
3) Free restoration is a bonus to me, I *was* using the mimic for stats/free booze. Because lazy.

This whole experience has demonstrated to me I might as well suck it up and learn how to handle high monster level because it seems every other script out there is geared toward blinding speed only. No one cares about more casual players and laid back play styles. If only I wasn't so lazy...I don't even know where to begin to find out about how to deal with ridiculously high ML. Good times ahead, I'm sure!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
No one cares about more casual players and laid back play styles.

Perhaps if you described yourself as a sub-optimal player...

FWIW I have used Universal Recovery for a very long time as well as WHAM. With those in place BCC Ascend is pretty effortless. I find having Guide available lets me do things on my own when I want. zarqon solicited test subjects for a script of his that I still run. I especially like it because it will always pull, if available, rather than adventure for an item. I also run pandamonuim and nemesis scripts on occasion. Point being that if you want to be lazy and suboptiomal there is still support for that and at least one kindred spirit.

Theraze

Regarding the fake id docs, I've run through six ascensions this week without any of them failing to buy them, so... definitely something with how your ascension ran, and it'll take some info from you to help avoid whatever was sad. Just noting that it's not an issue with current mafia and BCA. :)

Tipmon

For my last 4-5 ascensions on 2 different accounts it has failed to buy the fake id docs. As soon as I see it, I open up the relay and just go right to it and buy it. Fully unlocked, have enough meat, everything. Although both of the accounts are doing Noobcore but I really don't see how that would affect anything.

Theraze

I've had 12 successful Noobcore fake id purchases in the past few weeks, so... something definitely up with either your accounts, their settings, or some part of how you have mafia or BCA configured...

snooty

1) The npc_price function was added to let you know if an item can be purchased from an npc currently, and if so, at which price. If npc_price is greater than 0, then mafia knows that the market is unlocked. If npc_price is 0, then it believes that it's not available yet, and that's why BCA is failing. If npc_price is greater than 0, and you have enough meat for whatever it is, and buy forged identification documents gets them for you, then something is definitely wrong with BCA.
2) Basically the start was just that current latest mafia doesn't strip it for me because mafia knows that it belongs. When familiars are new, mafia's maximizer will strip them of their gear. After mafia knows they go together, it shouldn't. Basically, when it's stripping your barrel, equip the spigot manually, switch to the maximizer tab or window, and re-run the most recent maximizer string and look at what it suggest. It should say that it is unequipping the spigot. When it does so, please post the maximizer string and we can sort out why +regen is a bad thing. :)

1) > npc_price forged identification documents Returned: 5000, so, it's BCA then, right? Both my npc and coin masters are, and always have been, allowed. This particular toon has 56k meat on hand.
2) I elected to avoid the hassle this time and not pull a filthy child leash, so BCA doesn't have anything to switch to.

Just had an infinite loop with this gem: 0 beeosity, mainstat 999999999 max, .25 item power, weapon damage, +effective -10 ml +muscle experience +0.5 mp regen min +0.5 mp regen max, .5 hp, +outfit swashbuckling getup -equip hilarious comedy prop 0.0 random monster modifiers. Had the outfit, plus whatever I had saved as "bumcheekascend" outfit, but the maximizer (or BCA?) kept insisting I didn't have whatever, or it wasn't an item. Naturally without specifying which item that was, because, why make anyone's life easy? Seems to me specifying which item is in question should make things easier on everyone. Or something.

Last edited:

Theraze

1) We use retrieve item to get it. Next time it errors, try running "acquire forged identification documents" (the CLI equivalent) and "buy forged identification documents" if that fails. Should succeed on the first though...
3) Could have looked at the maximizer tab/window to see what change it suggested that failed.

snooty

1) It's weird that it works for you though, but not some of us.
2) Didn't have time for fiddly this go around, sorry! Unless you meant the loop, and then, I did. There was no "you don't have item X" message. Just the stuff it tried to/did equip. I had everything it was trying to use which is why it made no sense. Only happened on one toon though, so, there's that!

ETA:
BCC: Obtaining and Reading the Diary
You need 1 more forged identification documents to continue.
BCC: You failed to acquire the forged identification documents. Do you lack the funds?

> acquire forged identification documents

You need 1 more forged identification documents to continue.

> buy forged identification documents

Purchasing forged identification documents (1 @ 5,000)...
You spent 5,000 Meat
You acquire an item: forged identification documents
Desired purchase quantity not reached (wanted 1, got 0)

Despite that last line there, they were indeed obtained.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
get autoSatisfyWithNPCs

There's something in the GUI for enabling that, in preferences -> item acquisition I think?

Alternately, if that's false, just set autoSatisfyWithNPCs = true

Theraze

The weird part is that mafia told you that you both got it and didn't really get it. That'd appear to be a mafia bug, and one which you should probably get a debug log when it next happens. The process keeps evolving, but based on the directions last time I did it your steps would be something like debug on, acquire forged identification documents, buy forged identification documents, debug off. Do make sure you've verified with hee^3's check first that mafia really does know you're okay with it buying cheap stuff from stores.

snooty

Sorry for the delay, been busy the past few days. So, even though my item preference check for NPCs has always been set to true, I still need to make double extra sure in the gCLI? And Theraze, BCA told me it couldn't buy it first, before I tried the acquire/buy lines. But yeah, it's still funny. I suppose there could have been a hiccup of sorts? It'll be two weeksish before I ascend again. I'm sure I'll be back to pester you then ;)

Thanks for all your help!

slogfilet

I've completed the Pirates quest, but get this result looping:

BCC: Adventuring one turn at a time to get 7 insults. Currently, we have 0 insults.

What might be causing this? If it's already been covered, I apologize for my search-fu.

Theraze

snooty: Oooh. Wonder if you may have set your autoBuyPriceLimit down below 5k. Check that.

slogfilet: Does mafia itself know you finished it?