Oddities with dolphins and automation

Winterbay

I've been running around in the Sea with a multi for a while now and noticed something strange (or possibly jsut annoying). Whenever BBB decides that it should whistle for a dolphin the adventures used goes up, the turns of fishy and other effects go down but the counter for how many automated turns I've set it to do does not change.
This leads to that when my turns of fishy run out I still have turns left to burn and so Mafia does so with 2adv/ turn instead of the 1 I was intending.

Is there a good way to handle this (apart from assuming that there will be X dolphins and deduct that many turns from the automation) so that this doesn't happen?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You could have a line in your mood that checks for Fishy running out and aborts when that happens. It will stop when you have 1 turn left so you'll have to run it separately (and the mood will get in the way of automating it there), but that's probably the simplest solution.

Winterbay

Yes, that could work as well.

Looking at the logs I seem to run into about 1 dolphin every 10-12 turns (as dictated by the dolphin counter) so I think I'll just set my script to perform X-X/10 turns, where X is how many turns of fishy I have at the start. Shouldn't be too implausible and thus not waste too many turns of fishy.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Whenever BBB decides that it should whistle for a dolphin the adventures used goes up, the turns of fishy and other effects go down but the counter for how many automated turns I've set it to do does not change.
The counter on the KoLmafia GUI specifies how many turns you want to spend in the zone you selected. You have a between battle script set up to use additional adventures via item usage. That doesn't affect the loop in KoLmafia itself which simply counts the number of times you visit a location. Your between battle script could choose to spend turns crafting and you'd have the same result.

Winterbay

Aha. Thank you for that insight into Mafia and auxiliary script behavior. You learn something new every day :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
The counter on the KoLmafia GUI specifies how many turns you want to spend in the zone you selected.
That doesn't affect the loop in KoLmafia itself which simply counts the number of times you visit a location.

This often confuses me. Suppose I have 100 adventures left, no scripts or healing settings that could possibly burn an adventure, and no Fishy effects. Suppose I enter 5 in the GUI and select a sea zone. At the end of automation I will have visited the selected sea zone 5 times and have 90 adventures left, correct?

Would it be accurate to say that the input value in the GUI is the number of times the selected zone is to be visited and that the number of adventures consumed may be different depending upon restore settings and scripts? My recollection is that Feast of Boris and Nemesis thug encounters are considered to be in the selected zone. Correct?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Winterbay

This often confuses me. Suppose I have 100 adventures left, no scripts or healing settings that could possibly burn an adventure, and no Fishy effects. Suppose I enter 5 in the GUI and select a sea zone. At the end of automation I will have visited the selected sea zone 5 times and have 90 adventures left, correct?

I can at least answer this one. If you want to spend X turns in the sea and do not have fishy on then you should enter X/2 in the field or it will spend 2X turns there.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I can at least answer this one. If you want to spend X turns in the sea and do not have fishy on then you should enter X/2 in the field or it will spend 2X turns there.

Thank you. Part of my reason for paraphrasing is that the word "turns" is overloaded and at some point in previous (but not necessarily recent) discussions it was not the case that "turn" and "adventure" were synonyms.