Feature - Implemented Cooking and Mixing changes effective immeadiately

Fluxxdog

Jick has just implemented radical changes to cooking and mixing.
Jick said:
Adventure costs:

The biggest change here is that most cooking and cocktailcrafting recipes no longer cost an Adventure.

Certain cooking ingredients are now marked as "Fancy," and only Fancy ingredients take a turn to cook. They also require the new oven that is available in the Market. (Same price as the old one.)

I'm going to redo the Toot Oriole soon, and he will give players an E-Z Cook oven and teach them about cooking. For the time being, this new oven is available very cheaply at the Market.

Instead of working from your inventory, ovens are now installed in the new Kitchen in your campsite.

All of this stuff applies to booze, as well.

After they're incorporated into the tutorial, the basic oven and cocktailcrafting kits will stay in your campsite across ascension.

Chefs-in-the-box

If you have a Chef-in-the-box, it'll only kick in at points where crafting would take an Adventure. The chef no longer counts as an oven for the purposes of cooking. I will soon edit the oven out of the meat-pasting recipe for the chef.

Food quality display

Food and booze now give you an indication of their quality in their pop-up descriptions.

There are some weird outliers here because the display is based entirely on adventures-per-fullness (or per-drunkenness) so stuff like, say, the Steel Lasagna will show up as crappy (or EPIC apparently). We'll fix these edge cases as we find 'em.

You can search by food/booze quality tier in the Mall using the advanced search thing.

Other stuff (some of which will make some people grumble.)

Ode to Booze and Milk of Magnesium have been changed. Eating and drinking with the effects now consumes turns of the effect in order to add Adventures from the food. You can get one extra Adventure for every point of fullness or drunkenness the item you're consuming gives you.

To prevent this change from stacking things even further in favor of Saucerors, Milk now gives a baseline of 10 turns of the effect instead of 5.

Sushi

The sushi-rolling mat now also gets installed in your kitchen and used from there. Since this means you'll have to get another one every ascension, I'm gonna go in there at some point soon and make it cheaper.

Even more other stuff

There are a bunch of number tweaks left to make, which I'll be doing over the next few hours. I'll post details in here as I do them.
Naturally, the extent is being spading right now as well. This looks like it'll be a big one.

Rinn

Developer
Cooking changes

I'm gonna make a bug report to head this off before people start coming in here saying everything is broken.

Jick is overhauling cooking/mixing, he's outlining the changes here as he finishes them http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3760907&postcount=1

It would probably be best to wait until the majority of his changes are done, but for the time being cooking through mafia is going to be busted in a lot of cases. One I already encounter was that since the in-a-boxes moved to a different page mafia will unsuccessfully try to repair in-a-boxes even if you already have one, and the creation will fail.

I don't know the last time there was a major revision release but this will most likely require one because a lot of people are going to have issues.

Rinn

Developer
Argh someone merge my other thread into this one or delete it.

Last edited:

Theraze

Another mini-issue is that all those crafting bits changed their names, so anyone logging in will be generating themself some shiny new overrides... Besides changing all the recipe parts, we'll need to update those as well.

Raven434

Yep - this is seriously goofing up my basement run due to not being able to find my *in-the-boxes

Update - installing the new kitchen goodies seems to let Mafia resume along its merry way.

Last edited:

Theraze

Biggest gotcha I've found is that apparently KoLmafia checks to see if the (crafting) items are in inventory, while KoL itself checks if they're in your campground. Currently, to craft items through KoLmafia, you have to have one installed in your campground and one in inventory, else it throws missing crafting item errors.

Winterbay

So...
1) If you require in-a-boxes Mafia can no longer craft anythign for you because it cannot recognize that you have them. Disabling that preference makes that problem go away.
2) The recipies for the in-a-boxes do no longer require ovens nor kits.
3) The [roll sushi] link does not work unless you first install the sushi mat at yoru campground
4) You need to install a fancy oven/kit in order to make anything that contains a fancy ingredient, just having the respective in-a-box does not help.

Possibly all for now... :)

Fluxxdog

So...
1) If you require in-a-boxes Mafia can no longer craft anythign for you because it cannot recognize that you have them. Disabling that preference makes that problem go away.
Yeah. Big drag. And you should have seen the number of HCs griping because they invested that 1000 meat for the -in-a-box and now they have to spend ANOTHER 1000.
... Honestly never had that problem in HC. <hugs stocking mimic>
2) The recipies for the in-a-boxes do no longer require ovens nor kits.
It seems the plan is for -skull-in-a-box is to be the new recipe for the -in-a-box. So making -in-a-boxes will be cheaper
3) The [roll sushi] link does not work unless you first install the sushi mat at yoru campground
Go check the thread for a whole lot of w/p/m about that as it gets destroyed on ascension.
4) You need to install a fancy oven/kit in order to make anything that contains a fancy ingredient, just having the respective in-a-box does not help.

Possibly all for now... :)
Oh no, no where near all. Adventure yields for some food and booze items have changed, as well as the effects of Ode to Booze and Milk of Magnesium. The additional adventures are a 1-1-1 ratio. One turn of the effect is spent for each fullness/drunkeness and grants 1 adventure. In other words, a 4 drunkeness items will take 4 turns of Ode and grant 4 extra adventures.

Adventure ranges have changed for 1 fullness/drunkness items. It's either 1 or 2 adventures, not both.

Some items have a bit odder requirements for cooking. Simple cooking requires the 50 meat oven and doesn't cost adventures anymore, "fancy" dishes require the 1000 meat oven and cost turns when using fancy ingredients. -in-a-boxes will nullify the turn cost.

In essence, this is going to require a big overhaul of the data files for food and booze. Each ingredient is either fancy or not. If one is, it requires the expensive maker and will take turns. It's just an issue of spading everything, but that's gonna take time.

Winterbay

Yeah. Big drag. And you should have seen the number of HCs griping because they invested that 1000 meat for the -in-a-box and now they have to spend ANOTHER 1000.
... Honestly never had that problem in HC. <hugs stocking mimic>

Yeah, people came in complaining when I was in as well. Even though they were mostly confused about how to get mafia to work with the change then. I generally have meat trouble but not that much trouble (and in the cases I do have I think non-fancy things are probably just as fine)

It seems the plan is for -skull-in-a-box is to be the new recipe for the -in-a-box. So making -in-a-boxes will be cheaper

Chef's hat + Brainy skull = chef-in-the-box (and a new discovery) so I'd say that is already implemented.

Go check the thread for a whole lot of w/p/m about that as it gets destroyed on ascension.
Ahh yes, the woes of people having to spend in-game currency to redo something. I have had my mat for quite a while, so even though i do admit that it is a bit lame that it goes away it won't bother me that much.

Oh no, no where near all.

Well, "all" as in "all I care about since the absolute numbers have never been my main interest" :)

Fluxxdog

Well, "all" as in "all I care about since the absolute numbers have never been my main interest" :)
I get that, but I'm one of those who likes looking at the insides of his toys. Not gonna change my diet, namely the 800 sleazy hi mien my g/f made for me.

And yes, that's innuendo. :p

xKiv

Fancyness is listed in the item description, so you could probably even automate that.
Foods/beverages and booze now list quality category in description, which could probably be automatically used to narrow exact quality ranges (crappy seems to me to be 1 or less adv/full, decent in the 1-2 range (except 1), good in the 2-3 range (except 2), awesome in the 3-4 range (except 3) and epic better than 4; with all ranges now converted to integers, so a size 1 consummable's quality is now almost certainly completely defined by its category: crappy=1 (or 0) adv, decent=2 adv, good=3 adv, awesome=4 adv, epic=5 or more)
Also, if any ode/milk turns are left after eating/drinking, the turns lost are a 100% certain indicator of consummable size, which can be used to double-check the item database and possibly generate overrides.

Winterbay

I get that, but I'm one of those who likes looking at the insides of his toys. Not gonna change my diet, namely the 800 sleazy hi mien my g/f made for me.

And yes, that's innuendo. :p

I'm guessing that's pronounced "hymen" then... :)

Also, not saying that numbers are uninteresting, but I generally just eat whatever I can make from what I have (which after 4+ years is way too much btw).

Winterbay

Fancyness is listed in the item description, so you could probably even automate that.
Foods/beverages and booze now list quality category in description, which could probably be automatically used to narrow exact quality ranges (crappy seems to me to be 1 or less adv/full, decent in the 1-2 range (except 1), good in the 2-3 range (except 2), awesome in the 3-4 range (except 3) and epic better than 4; with all ranges now converted to integers, so a size 1 consummable's quality is now almost certainly completely defined by its category: crappy=1 (or 0) adv, decent=2 adv, good=3 adv, awesome=4 adv, epic=5 or more)
Also, if any ode/milk turns are left after eating/drinking, the turns lost are a 100% certain indicator of consummable size, which can be used to double-check the item database and possibly generate overrides.

There are some exceptions, such as "Schrödingers Thermos" which is listed as EPIC even though it might just as well be crappy...

xKiv

I think the thermos actually comes up in the 4+ range on average (per drunkness). You get all those gargle blasters, mafia wines, ralph cognacs, corpse drinks, ... to counteract imp ales, willers, accidental ciders, ...
The really high quality stuff tends to also be large size stuff, so it's quality is reflected "disproportionately" in the average thermos quality.
But I didn't actually compute anything.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The "use milk" button in the item manager currently does nothing if you already have the effect. Ditto for "cast ode".
Both should now work regardless. Or, perhaps, if turns left of the effect is less than available fullness/inebriety.

slyz

Developer
Do the "Are you sure you want to eat (drink) without Milk (Ode)" messages now go off when the number of turns of Milk (Ode) is smaller than the amount of fullness (drunkenness) enqueued?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
No. As I said in the commit notes to 8603

There is no current support for Ode and Milk effects running down as you consume

In other words, we know about this issue...