Nemesis quest script

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Sorry, that was probably my french background at work :)

I was saying that there is absolutely no benefit in uploading a new version with the same version number, so I will stop doing it.

No problem. There is benefit to the developer because it is slightly less work to re-release something with the same version number but it is of no benefit to those users who happen to fetch the release before the problem is corrected ;-)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That would be me. I think we should make zarqon buy the drinks.

If I am correct in saying that Bale, Winterbay, Zaron and I are on three different continents, I think I'd buy the first round if circumstances conspired to get all of us in the same real life bar (or other beverage serving establishment).

Winterbay

Interesting happening today when trying to do the quest as a TT, it started out by claiming to have freed -1/5 turtles:
Code:
Freeing the turtles...
Casting Patience of the Tortoise 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Patience of the Tortoise (duration: 5 Adventures)
Patience of the Tortoise was successfully cast.
Mood swing complete.
Wielding fouet de tortue-dressage...
Equipment changed.
Finding best familiar of type "delevel"...
First match for type "delevel": Barrrnacle
Penguin Goodfella is better than Barrrnacle...
Putting Got the Pair of Stomping Boots back into terrarium...
Taking U-with-a-´-rog the Penguin Goodfella out of terrarium...
Conditions list cleared.
Mood swing complete.

-1/5 turtles tamed
Mood swing complete.

And after freeing two turtles (at which point it ran out of turns) was at 1/5.

slyz

Developer
The script was imprisoning turtles?

v2 fixes that (the message was wrong, but it would have freed all the turtles).

Last edited:

Edir

If one tried to use this script in a boris run aftercore, could that be a problem?
Apparently, after I switched to being a TT, the script could not recognize what my proper LEW would have been . So perhaps there should be a special case for running the script after being an avatar of Boris?

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Was mafia properly reporting your class? If not, that sounds like something that needs to be fixed in mafia rather than in the script. "ash my_class()" will let you check.

Theraze

Two problems with the current release. One, it doesn't ever try to heal up during turtle taming, so you'll almost certainly get beaten up. I've put a cli_execute("restore hp") into the while loop. Second, there's a "missing return value" on line 1093 (maintain_buffs).

Theraze

Could call restore_hp directly, I was just putting that in there because the next line is a mood execute in the while loop, so if we're doing CLI calls anyways, might as well keep things consistent. But hey, not my script, and slyz can do whatever he wants with the real thing. :)

Theraze

Thanks for the fast update! One thing that probably only affects weird people like me that actually run this after a Boriscore run for the extra karma... it actually takes two visits to scg to unlock the Fun House. The first visit registers that you've got your EW, the second unlocks the fun house. Didn't report it before because I only got to test it about a minute ago, but it was another one of my trial-run changes. Easiest way to do it is just to double-up the scg visit_urls in get_LEW before get_FUN.

And yes, it increases server hits by one, but it reduces server hits by 30+ since you don't keep trying to adventure in a locked fun house over and over and over, as get_FUN doesn't actually check if the fun house is unlocked, expecting it to already be ready if it ever gets called. :)

slyz

Developer
I should probably take a look at all the quests Mafia tracks now and make good use of those properties. I still have very little spare time though.

slyz

Developer
Could someone who has unlocked the Fun House, but hasn't acquired his Legendary Epic Weapon yet, paste here the text from his guild NPC?

Alhifar

Code:
"Hey, Alhifar. How's it going with that Legendary Epic Weapon? 'Cause, y'know, no pressure or anything, but it's pretty important that we get that artifact back on the double."

Theraze

The script doesn't seem to talk to the guild member to unlock the fun house. Wasn't a problem until boris came out.

I actually talked about this two posts above yours. ;)

Thanks for the fast update! One thing that probably only affects weird people like me that actually run this after a Boriscore run for the extra karma... it actually takes two visits to scg to unlock the Fun House. The first visit registers that you've got your EW, the second unlocks the fun house. Didn't report it before because I only got to test it about a minute ago, but it was another one of my trial-run changes. Easiest way to do it is just to double-up the scg visit_urls in get_LEW before get_FUN.

And yes, it increases server hits by one, but it reduces server hits by 30+ since you don't keep trying to adventure in a locked fun house over and over and over, as get_FUN doesn't actually check if the fun house is unlocked, expecting it to already be ready if it ever gets called. :)

To fix it, just double-up the scg visit_urls. The first scg visit tells him you have your EW, the second visit makes him give you the LEW quest. It's that you complete the first quest with the first visit, but haven't actually started the second quest-series yet.

slyz

Developer
Theraze is right: doubling up the visit_url() may be wasteful, but it is way simpler than going through all the possible NPC messages to make sure the Fun House is available.

v2.2 does that.

Theraze

The other thing is, if you're going to do a server hit to parse to see if you're going to need to do a server hit... you've just lost any potential benefit you might have had before. :) If you can pull it from mafia properties or something similar, great... but unless the build-in nemesis quest tracking specifies all of that stuff, it's less wasteful to just do the hit and move on, rather than do a hit to see if we need to do another.

Questionable efficiency FTW!