Losing 30669 scrolls in the Valley

weka

Sorry I am only a very basic Mafia user and don't really know what I'm doing...

Today when I was farming 31337 scrolls in the Valley, my 30669 scrolls were being used up without producing nearly as many 31337 scrolls (I had more than enough 334 scrolls as well). It seems that I must have some settings wrong, because although the log seemed to show that the adding machine didn't always return 31337 scrolls, it also seemed to show that for some fights (and it seemed a bit random), before fighting with weapon (which is what Mafia normally seems to default to for me), it would use a 30669 scroll as a combat item first.

This is from my log:
[7927] Orc Chasm
Encounter: rampaging adding machine
Round 0: lady madonna wins initiative!
Round 1: lady madonna uses the 30669 scroll!
Round 2: lady madonna uses the 668 scroll!
Round 3: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 4: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 5: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
You acquire an item: 668 scroll
Round 6: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 7: lady madonna uses the 30669 scroll!
You gain 12 Strongness
You gain 3 Mysteriousness
You gain 7 Cheek
Adjusted combat item count: 30669 scroll (-1)

[7931] Orc Chasm
Encounter: me4t begZ0r
Adjusted combat item count: 30669 scroll
Round 1: lady madonna executes a macro!
Round 1: lady madonna attacks!
You acquire an item: meat vortex
You gain 7 Muscleboundness
You gain 1 Enchantedness
You gain 15 Roguishness
Adjusted combat item count: meat vortex (-1)

I'm not even sure what settings are relevant, but these are the ones I can think of:
Action: custom combat script
Special: pick-pocket and anti-anti-antidote

In custom combat, the only Valley monster that I have listed is:
[ anime smiley ]
try to steal an item
skill transcendent olfaction
attack with weapon

and they do get sniffed correctly.

I have my auto attack set to Pickpocket. I use the relay browser, though for these turns, I just set Mafia to burn a set number of turns in the Valley.

I'm not sure what else to set to ensure that 30669 scrolls don't get used as a combat item, nor am I even 100% sure if that is what has been happening? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :)

Theraze

Only way to guarantee they don't get used is to not set any goals... If you have goals, they auto-use. Any chance this is in conjunction with a Black Cat familiar or something like that? BC will bat away items randomly, which breaks automatic scroll creation, giving results similar to what you've described...

weka

This is just a lazy aftercore day. Spam Witch bounty, so decided to farm some trinkets as well while I was at it. No goal set, but I do have the Choice Advs set for the Valley to: create goal, 31337, 668 scrolls.

For the Adding Machine, Mafia does feed the scrolls, though I don't always seem to get one back. I'm not sure if that's due to Mafia just not reporting getting the 31337 or not.

Even if I did the Adding Machines manually, it wouldn't be ideal, but it would be ok. The main thing that I really don't get is why Mafia seemingly randomly uses 30669 scrolls in combat against monsters other than the Adding Machine.

I guess I'll prob have to put in a custom combat for each of the Valley creatures and just specify Attack with Weapon, though that seems a bit messy and cluttered, when all I want is them to be hit with my weapon.

Bale

Minion
You didn't answer if you are using a Black Cat. Or an OAF. Or maybe a costume wardrobe.

Even if I did the Adding Machines manually, it wouldn't be ideal, but it would be ok. The main thing that I really don't get is why Mafia seemingly randomly uses 30669 scrolls in combat against monsters other than the Adding Machine.

You are mistaken. Mafia did not use a 30669 scroll against the me4t begZ0r. It merely noted that the number of 30669 scrolls listed in the combat items drop down was different from it's internal list of your inventory and adjusted its count accordingly.

weka

Sorry, no Black Cat or O.A.F., just a Baby Gravy Fairy with an eye-pod equipped. No buffs that attack or anything either.

That's what I meant by I wasn't even sure if that was what was happening. I didn't really know what the "Adjusted combat item count: 30669 scroll" line meant, it just seemed like it might be a source of loosing the 30669 scrolls.

Before I played any turns I counted my 30669 scrolls and had 27. 14 Spam Witches later, while running at least +306.75% item drop (that was what Mafia was showing down the left side) the whole time, I had 24 31337 scrolls and no 30669 scrolls left.

I thought with that much item drop, at a 30% base drop rate, I should get a 30669 scroll from each Spam Witch? Though again, that's not something I'm at all sure about.

Theraze

Actually, that was it saying you had one more than it expected... it thought it had lost one on the RAM, but realized it was really fine on the begzor. Basically, your count just slid off by one, but automatically fixed itself. No loss, at least not from the log you posted there.

Bale

Minion
Well, something is wrong. You post...

Code:
[7927] Orc Chasm
Encounter: rampaging adding machine
Round 1: lady madonna uses the 30669 scroll!
Round 2: lady madonna uses the 668 scroll!
Round 3: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 4: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 5: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
You acquire an item: 668 scroll
Round 6: lady madonna uses the 334 scroll!
Round 7: lady madonna uses the 30669 scroll!
You gain 12 Strongness
You gain 3 Mysteriousness
You gain 7 Cheek

In that combat you use three 334 scrolls to get a single 668 scroll. Then you use a 334 followed by a 30669. Huh?

weka

OK, thanks Theraze and Bale :) No idea where the other scrolls slid off into the ether then :(

Edit: Whoops sorry, only saw your post after I'd posted Bale. The Adding Machine parts were all done automatically by Mafia. I had the "Orc Chasm:" under the "Choice Advs" tab set to "create goal, 31337, 668 scrolls". Which, since I already completed the Valley quest long ago, I thought (hoped!) would just make 31337 scrolls.

Last edited:

Theraze

It was attempting to... Were you experiencing some major lag or something?

It should have used the 334s to create a 668, and then combined that with your 30669 to create a 31337... For some reason, it lagged or glitched in ordering. If lag, then that's on your side, and there isn't really anything we can do to help fix it (besides suggesting not doing auto-goals during laggy times). If it's glitched, more info might help us to figure out where the client is problematic and fix it up for you. :)

weka

There didn't seem to be any lag at all, it all seemed to be going very smoothly and speedily.

What info would help? I really don't know what might be of use. I was running KoLmafia-8576.jar and the relay browser (though I wasn't using that at the time, it was open) was in Firefox 3.5.11.

Edit: I'm just looking back at old logs and it seems that this has been happening for a long while. I don't Mafia-farm 31337 scrolls very often, but it seems when I do, using 3x 334 scrolls to get 1 668 does seem to happen going back quite a while. It doesn't always happen, and it didn't always happen today, it was only that I was quite low on 30669 scrolls that I even noticed that some scrolls were missing from the results that I would have expected.

Last edited: