To all scripters and non scripters, a flash or java file that will generate ash

coolbartek

Well I had this thought, that many people lack the knowledge to make scripts, but have an idea as how their script would work. For example I want to eat pasta to gain mp when my fullness is below 5 and my mp is equal to zero. Instead of writing all the booleans and complicated script, I think it would be better to make a java or even a flash file, which would by clicking some buttons, generate a fully working script in a matter of minutes, not hours. Of course I know it will take someone a lot of time to do it by himself, so (i know a bit of flash) and with help from the whole community we could make a application, that would make our scripting life much easier and less time consuming. It will take few weeks or even months, but I think this is a task that is worth the time that will be put in it. So, who is in?

slyz

Developer
I can see some sort a platform that would generate a daily farming script, but not something as specific as "eat pasta to gain mp when my fullness is below 5 and my mp is equal to zero".

There are a couple of meat farming script on these forums that, combined with EatDrink.ash, are already almost ready to use out of the box.

If you want to do complicated things with Mafia, you have to write complicated scripts. And those are worth writing either if you're having fun writing them, or if they will save you more time than the time spent writing them.

I was curious though: what would a generic ASH script writing application do? Are you talking about some sort of ASH compiler that declares your variables for you?

coolbartek

Well, my eating pasta example is a bad one actually. I wanted an app that would generate these scripts much faster than you would normally, by filling the gaps and then, by letting the scripter fill in the variables. Its still up to the community to decide how the whole thing would work. I just had a suggestion, which in my opinion is very good. I'm still open to any posts by other members of the forum.

slyz

Developer
I just had a suggestion, which in my opinion is very good.
It would be a great tool, but I was asking about more technical details: what gaps would the user fill in? What would go around those gaps? Are you talking about a collection of functions you could import in a script to avoid having to re-code some routines every time?

As I understand it, your ASH generating application would either be a framework too rigid to produce different scripts (ie, a daily farming script generating application where you can choose your diet, your buffs, the location, your equipment etc... but that would only generate farming scripts), either a very small help to speed up some parts of the scripting process (a sort of compiler?).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Go for it, but I'm not in.

What I understand you to be describing is something like a "smart builder" for ASH. The user, for example, drags and drops things on a screen, connects them, adds parameters, pushes a button and Voila! an ASH script.

The tools used to generate code in various programming languages have evolved from text editors to any number of tools and frameworks that hide details in return for adhering to certain conventions. So what I think you are suggesting is just the next logical development for ASH. It is a good idea but based upon my experience it won't make my life sufficiently easier. Good luck, though.

coolbartek

I imagined something like fronobulax said, drag and drop like in making music from samples. Except things like intros, main themes, there would be eat, adventure, buff etc. Then the user would type in the variables like food name, adventure location or skill name. I think that for people not familiar with ash, this tool would be great. I am going to look for some flash apps which have a similar structure to the one i plan to have.

oly0015

I'm actually making something to that extent atm, a adv/farming script i made that i'm updating to take a user generated data/settings file from a javascript/php base webpage. Still has a big chunk left to develop though for the updates i want to include into the system.

oly0015

Sorry not yet, theres a few features i kinda need to invent first for it all to work out, after that i should have a workable beta of the update going so you guys can poke at my code.