Charpane relay override

Chez

I've been playing around with a charpane.ash relay override script, and noticed that the script doesn't always trigger when the character pane is refreshed.

As examples, it seems to work just fine:
  • At the beginning of combat
  • During combat
  • After manually refreshing the charpane (clicking on the [Refresh] link)
  • After casting buffs/summons
  • After changing equipment from the equipment page

It does not work, however:
  • At the end of combat
  • After a non-combat
  • After consuming something from the inventory page

By "not triggering" I mean that the charpane is displayed unmodified by the script, without any errors, as if the relay override was never called.

I've noticed the exact same behavior when using this script.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That's basically why I stopped working on that script and stopped using it. At the times where it didn't work, I noticed that the page source from viewing the frame source was different than if I highlighted a section and viewed selection source.

icon315

Yeah, i couldn't figure it out at all. i'm just guessing that something in the source code changes so it doesn't effect it. but that would also display an error. so it has to do with the scripts not activating on it

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I believe the deal is that there are a couple places where KoLmafia caches the charpane and passes the cached version back to the browser. It does apply the standard Relay Browser decorations (up arrows for effects, familiar counters, and so on), but if you have a relay override script, it does not call that.

Try revision 8568. In that, we cache the charpane after the Relay Browser decorates it and/or after a charpane relay override script executes. I tested with lost's script and saw the "TP: xxx" annotation in all circumstances.

Theraze

Is there a good way to check if there's an actual charpane.ash in the relay folder, and only override the handling if it's there? Not sure how Kolmafia handles the various overrides...

AlbinoRhino

It appears that having the gCLI, or the integrated chat/gCLI, open also causes the charpane to be replaced with it's unscripted version. Having just the chat or the KoL updates page loaded in the frame doesn't.

chef noodleman

I noticed the same thing as AlbinoRhino, though I've found that using the refresh link once in the charpane after opening the gCLI seems to take care of the problem. More annoying is how the charpane reverts at the end of every noncombat.

AlbinoRhino

I am getting a totally blank character pane whether the override file is present in the relay directory or not. View frame source opens an empty file.