Question to Users

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I'm considering adding a few unobtrusive Google Ads (the text ones) to the site, I'm curious if you would be bothered by this? This will mainly be for recouping the cost of the server and bandwidth (which we actually use quite a lot of now).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think that's reasonable. I just turned off adblock for this domain... and then I went to view the rest of the forum and remembered that I use adblock on all forums for reasons completely unrelated to blocking ads.

Theraze

Shockingly, I'm actually viewing the site in IE for some reason, so my FF doesn't stop them here. Go for it... need to pay the bills somehow. Anyone who can't stand them can always use FF or some other option to get rid of them...

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Well ads are in, if you see anything that shouldn't be there just report me what the ad says and the domain for it and I'll block it.

Bale

Minion
The ad is sufficiently un-annoying. I'm happy with the site not draining your wallet too badly.

palpitations

I have absolutely no problem with this... I just disabled adblock for the domain to help out. If the ads aren't enough, I could also see about mirroring some things for you guys to help out (sharing part of the traffic for the builds page or whatever else). Give the ads a little while, and if you still need some extra free bandwidth, get in touch.

ajandaj

I'm considering adding a few unobtrusive Google Ads (the text ones) to the site, I'm curious if you would be bothered by this? This will mainly be for recouping the cost of the server and bandwidth (which we actually use quite a lot of now).

Go for it; more power to you.

morgad

I can't see the Ad, but if you were to put a 'donate' button on the site, I would probably click it.

Dave

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I actually clicked on an ad here once. It was for a tech product and not an insurance quote or a game with "mafia" in the name. I wonder if we can tweak the ads that are being shown. Maybe start a thread about geek gadgets?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I don't know what changed but I am seeing cat food ads and as a cat owner, at least it makes sense. But yea, the ads are fine. Hope they are generating revenue.

Theraze

Depending on the ads and the specific way that Adblock is setup, but yes, in general, if the image files aren't loaded, the site doesn't get credit. However, this does mean that if someone DOES have a major objection to ads, they don't get affected by the forum adding them, and everyone else gets to help.

Regarding the second, again, depends on the ad company. I think some offer more credit if they're actually clicked?

Theraze

Potentially, you could write an alternate version of adblock that turns the ads into a 1 pixel block, making them invisible but still officially 'loading'. No clue how it'd be done though.