Bug - Fixed please make the "summon" cli command fail if it doesn't know the right name

StDoodle

Minion
As someone else who's ran into this issue:

Veracity, I think part of the issue (at least from my point of view) is that the help text for "summon" says that you can use the demon name, effect, location, or number for a summon. I think it's quite natural that a good many players have a much easier time remembering "greed" than the name of their specific demon(s). IMO, as long as that's what is listed under the help text, any summon X where X (fuzzy) matches a known "effect, location or number" should abort if the appropriate name isn't known. If the help text for "summon" said you could only use demon names, then I would chalk this up to my own stupidity.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If you type "demons", you can see the numbers, locations, effects, and known names.
You will not see "greed" there. You will see "Preternatural Greed".
It's not written anywhere that it will fuzzy match.

I already said that it is not unreasonable for it to do substring matching, and I gave the technical reason why it doesn't do so already. It's "a simple matter of coding" which will have to wait until it either strikes somebody as interesting or important enough to spend their time coding it.

Theraze

Question... would it be possible to do the searching for an unknown name using an additional argument? For example, summon unknown <random-name-here>? This would help the people who are accidentally triggering summon without realizing what they're doing (trying to cast summon something, for example) and also allow for the same functionality... The only potential caveat I see is if eventually a demon is released using the searching argument name, whether that be search, unknown, or something else, but the code could easily be updated at that point to use a different argument then, or even to treat summon unknown as summoning the unknown demon, and summon unknown <argument> as searching for a new unknown demon...

StDoodle

Minion
Sorry this took so long for my response, things have been extra hectic with work lately.

I already said that it is not unreasonable for it to do substring matching, and I gave the technical reason why it doesn't do so already.

My apologies, I somehow missed that post, and it's much clearer after re-reading. I never intended to imply that I didn't feel things were being done in a reasonable technical matter. It's more an issue of what feels natural as a user, and for the life of me I can never remember how to spell "preternatural," and as such I just go with "greed." (Actually, since I first had the issue, I've just used an alias.) I can see how balancing an ability to handle unknown demons conflicts with safety / caution on summoning could be a difficult problem. I, for one, think Theraze's solution of requiring an implicit call via an "unknown" parameter to have mafia attempt summoning of an un-saved demon name seems the best (and brilliantly simple) idea, if I'm parsing it correctly.