Purchase Buffs, and the endless "Configuring dynamic buff prices..."

So, as long as I've used mafia (nearly a year), it has always been the case that--for no reason that I am able to discern--sometimes the Purchase Buffs window refuses to open. No clue why. So, I've typically just used csend to buy my buffs, but I wasn't aware until a recent update that using csend to purchase a philanthropic buff automatically gets converted to a NON-philanthropic buff. Now, I'm not going to argue about this function (which I think is stupid, although I can see the reason it exists), but it's a real pain when the Purchase Buffs window is so unreliable.

So, the real question is, why won't the Purchase Buffs window open consistently?

Spiny

I personally haven't experienced the hanging you are mentioning and others have mentioned in the past. According to this, the issue was presumedly dealt with.

xKiv

I have encountered it on my recent vacation, when I only had a 11 kpbs problematic connection (I was regularly getting "returned a blank page, complain to Jick" messages, main map loaded in all frames and other "funny" connection problems).
It got to some "requests complete" sort of message, but never opened the buffbot panel.

Can there be an issue if one of the XMLs is downloaded improperly?

To provide some further information, I'm not having any of the problems that xKiv describes, in relation to the problem (no bandwidth or connection issues). Also, logging off, quitting mafia and restarting doesn't solve the problem, when it's occurring.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Well it just DIDN'T happen to me with r8548. How good is your internet connection? Could things be timing out? Can you access the buff URLs directly in a browser?

If you can access them in a browser then, perhaps, there is some other problem besides network connectivity.

My internet connection is extremely reliable. I don't know if I could access the buff URLs directly, but next time it happens, I'll check the links you provided. Incidentally, I'm just getting blank pages for Noblesse Oblige, Koladdict, and Zonkttc, at the moment, but the Purchase Buffs window is opening promptly, regardless…

Winterbay

My internet connection is extremely reliable. I don't know if I could access the buff URLs directly, but next time it happens, I'll check the links you provided. Incidentally, I'm just getting blank pages for Noblesse Oblige, Koladdict, and Zonkttc, at the moment, but the Purchase Buffs window is opening promptly, regardless…

The same ones fail to open for me, but they don't give blank pages they give two different types of error messages ("unkown error 805303f4" [how the heck can you have a number on the error if it is unkown?, if it can be counted you suerely know what type of error it is] and "network error while loading an XSLT-style page").

I can't get the buffbot forms to open today. As usual, I can open every page listed by fronobulax, but NO, KA, and Zonkttc load blank pages (this is also what happens at the times that the buffbot forms DO load without any problem).

As of yet, I have discerned no difference in the conditions or circumstances for those instances during which I AM able to open the buffbot forms, and those instances during which I am NOT able to do so.

This is what makes the loss of Kingdom of Buffing so onerous…

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I feel you pain but everything just worked for me so I have to wonder whether it is an environmental problem and not a mafia problem. If you are on a slow or crappy connection things could be timing out. If you are on a slow computer I can imagine a set of conditions where one part of mafia takes so long to process the response that another part thinks a timeout occurred. Whether it is actually possible for those conditions to occur is beyond my ability to assess at the moment. It might also be a patience issue. While I have not had any serious problems with the buffbot page for quite some time it is true that I get more of them when I try to open the buffbot window when mafia is doing something else like Breakfast or auto-adventure. If the problem is related to resources on your computer than chat windows open in mafia might also be a factor.

Camber

In the past few days, i have been intermittenently getting a strange error when scripting is_online ("smashbot") or just hitting the button to see if a buffbot is online. Does anyone know why? The error stops automation and the frame turns red. Even though the error mentions chat, i have no chat open.

PHP:
Server www2.kingdomofloathing.com returned a blank page from submitnewchat.php. Complain to Jick, not us

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
How do you think is_online() works? Answer: it submits a /who request in chat and looks at the result, which will say if the user is online.

I feel you pain but everything just worked for me so I have to wonder whether it is an environmental problem and not a mafia problem. If you are on a slow or crappy connection things could be timing out. If you are on a slow computer I can imagine a set of conditions where one part of mafia takes so long to process the response that another part thinks a timeout occurred. Whether it is actually possible for those conditions to occur is beyond my ability to assess at the moment. It might also be a patience issue. While I have not had any serious problems with the buffbot page for quite some time it is true that I get more of them when I try to open the buffbot window when mafia is doing something else like Breakfast or auto-adventure. If the problem is related to resources on your computer than chat windows open in mafia might also be a factor.

Well, I'm using a fairly powerful Mac, and when the problem occurs, I still have plenty of unused memory available (and not even coming close to taxing my processing power). As for my internet connection, it is extremely reliable (it's a provider that chiefly serves commercial clients in downtown Denver), and my machine is connected directly to the modem (so, no issues due to bad WiFi, router configuration, etc.).

It's not a patience issue (when mafia is unable to fetch buff prices after 5 minutes of idling), and it's not due to mafia being tied up with other activity (such as Breakfast or auto-adventure).

Here's another example of oddity: I have two instances of mafia open at the moment (8571 and 8572). I attempt to fetch buff prices on 8571, and leave it idling. I attempt to fetch buff prices on 8572, and it does so immediately. 8571 continues to idle indefinitely (the length of time it took me to write this far). I logout 8571, and sign back in. Still can't fetch prices. I logout, quit, relaunch, sign in, and NOW I can fetch buff prices. So whatever resource-related problem may be occurring here, my inexpert opinion is that it is not a problem with my system, or my connection, but that it is an issue within mafia itself.

From past experience, relaunching mafia is not a reliable solution, but as far as I know, it is the only solution available (if mafia hangs on fetching buff prices, it will not be successful in doing so unless relaunched). Since mafia no longer forgets my fullness and spleen(nes?) anymore (when did that change occur, I only noticed it today), I guess I no longer have a reason for my previous aversion to relaunching mafia when this problem occurs, but still, there it is.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
@Morgan Blair - Good information and it seems not to support any of my knee jerk hypotheses.

In addition to the buffbot info, there have been a couple more cases where mafia fetches a page and either gets a blank page or times out. I have been wondering if they are all related to a multi-threading timing issue. I don't have much of a handle on that yet but your data does suggest that the solution lies with mafia, not the environment.