Feature - Implemented Bonehead Steel Organ Protection

NardoLoopa

In a rush to beat rollover I've done this twice: I get my steel margarita then quickly cast ode and drink all my booze before rolloever. Problem is, I forgot to actually us my Steel Margarita. Totally a bonehead move.

It would be nice if there were a check that if you have a steel item in your inventory and you are about to consume to where you will not be able to consume the steel item that day mafia warns you. So for liver it makes sure you don't over drink with the steel margarita in your inventory. For the lasagna it makes sure you don't eat that fortune cookie that brings you to 11 fullness. Etc for spleen.

Or, instead of this feature I'd be perfectly happy if Mafia just ridiculed me after making this mistake.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I was JUST about to post that exact same question.

We automatically make an intragalactic rowboat when you get the quantum egg and a badass belt when you get the second ingredient from the council. We should just use the steel organ immediately.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia would also have to check at login to see if you have them, and to use them if you do, because people will get them without enough stomach/spleen to use (and with mafia always auto-using, some people will forget that they need to manually use it by then).

Also, a preference changeable only through CLI to turn it off might be good, because someone will find an issue with it somehow. Maybe.

StDoodle

Minion
Yeah, this all seems familiar... I thought the steel organ was at least going to get moved to the top of the appropriate list in the item manager, but I dunno.

I do admit, however (again) that I dislike, on principle, anything automatic that has absolutely no "off switch." As long as there's such available -- even just as a preference that isn't listed in the GUI -- I'm perfectly happy. In fact, one preference to control all "there's no reason for any of these not to be automatic but here you go just in case" would make me happy.

jasonharper

Developer
Isn't there something interesting that can be done by feeding your steel margarita to a Spirit Hobo? Infinite charges, or something like that?

StDoodle

Minion
That was one of the things I pointed out the last time this came up; sure, I wouldn't want to do that stuff, but if there was no way around it other than to not use mafia...

jasonharper

Developer
r8408 will at least sort the steel items to the top of the Item Manager lists, so you're more likely to notice them.

bumcheekcity

I don't know if we still want this, but the supplied patch will nag the user if they're drinking and have the steel margarita or if they're eating and have the steel lasagne and are <= 10 full.

Unlike the milk check and the "without ode" check, it's going to be almost certain that nobody ever wants to NOT use their steel item, so I submit that being nagged about it every time won't be annoying.

Compiles but otherwise untested, I'm afraid.

Attachments

• bumcheekcity-steelcheck.patch
    1.4 KB · Views: 21

xKiv

Well, *hypothetically*, there might be someone who wants to keep drunkness down for the pool table or something, but not me.

StDoodle

Minion
Morover, there is potential for such situations in the future. If overdrink() and eat_silent() will ignore the warning for non-steel consumption, that seems fine. If not, such should certainly be accounted for, IMO.

bumcheekcity

Anyone being optimal enough to care about that adventure will be using the lasagne before they open the goatlet to get the milk, I'm sure.

Nagging you to use it is okay. Automatically using it is not okay. Maybe just a Preferences setting to automatically use it, defaulted to off, and then let people know about it? I'm not a fan of mafia doing things for me without me telling it to do them. Making the "why would anyone not want to do this?" assumption is very iffy. Also, the steel organs give 250 charges to the hobo / ggg, IIRC. I've accepted the badass belt and rowboat auto-creation, since there's quite literally no other thing you can do with the constituent items. But having assumptions made for me about what I want to do with things is fairly uncool (even if they're right!) The desert/oasis thing that mafia does (automatically getting you more ultrahydrated when you continue to adventure in the desert) is already pushing it. I'd actually just prefer a counter-like warning saying "ultrahydrated has run out, are you sure you want to keep going in the desert?" as a preference option to be able to turn on/off.