Bug - Cannot Reproduce a lot of debug messages

wagr

First, I apologize for any faux pas as I'm just learning my way around these forums and KOLMafia support. I'm a bit dazzled by all the information.

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I manually installed Java 1.6.018. I also copied my entire KOL folder from my old machine to this one - to preserve all my settings. It had kolmafia r8094 (Feb 5) in it. That all ran fine.

Today, I pulled down the latest Sunday build and ran it. It started fine, logged on and opened the main interface screen as well. However, it never completed anything for breakfast with several "Unexpected error, debug log printed" messages. I have all breakfast options turned on in preferences. The debug log has 10 of these debug dumps.

I'm going out on a limb (since the debug log says not to do this, but the recent changes seems to indicate I should) and am posting the first of these errors. Should I post more?

Unexpected error, debug log printed.
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.TreeMap.put(Unknown Source)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.Modifiers.writeModifiers(Modifiers.java:2928)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.saveDataOverride(KoLmafia.java:1057)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ResultProcessor.processResults(ResultProcessor.java:192)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.session.ResultProcessor.processResults(ResultProcessor.java:164)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.parseResults(GenericRequest.java:1921)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1682)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1634)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1331)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1084)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.run(GenericRequest.java:975)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.RequestThread.postRequest(RequestThread.java:73)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLCharacter.getStillsAvailable(KoLCharacter.java:2719)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistence.ConcoctionDatabase.cachePermitted(ConcoctionDatabase.java:1239)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistence.ConcoctionDatabase.refreshConcoctions(ConcoctionDatabase.java:1050)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.persistence.ConcoctionDatabase.deferRefresh(ConcoctionDatabase.java:952)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.EquipmentRequest.processResults(EquipmentRequest.java:926)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1705)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1634)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1331)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.execute(GenericRequest.java:1084)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.EquipmentRequest.run(EquipmentRequest.java:836)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSessionData(KoLmafia.java:952)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.refreshSession(KoLmafia.java:878)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.initialize(KoLmafia.java:790)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafiaGUI.initialize(KoLmafiaGUI.java:155)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.login(KoLmafia.java:690)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.processLoginRequest(LoginRequest.java:428)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1423)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1353)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.LoginRequest.run(LoginRequest.java:282)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.doLogin(LoginFrame.java:353)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.swingui.LoginFrame$LoginPanel.actionConfirmed(LoginFrame.java:300)
at net.java.dev.spellcast.utilities.ActionPanel$ConfirmedListener.run(ActionPanel.java:164)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Running r8094 again runs fine (just missing all the cool new stuff).

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Welcome.

I always understood the "please don't post" message to apply to the Kolmafia thread at the official Kingdom of Loathing forum. I think posting here is all right and I believe this recent change actually directs you to post them here at kolmafia.us.

Since you are running on Windows 7 64 bit you might want to review this thread. It is unlikely to be related to your problem but you may help shed some light on someone else's.

As for the problem at hand, I don't have a lot of tools available but it looks like it is trying to write the file modifiers.txt. One obvious thing to check would be to make sure that there is disk space and that the user running mafia can actually write or overwrite the file. It's a long shot but I have sometimes moved files from Windows boxes in a way that preserved file protections and so I had files on the new system that were owned by a user on the old system who obviously does not exist on the new system. r8094 working might preclude my hypothesis but then I don't know the history of the overrides so it is possible that the old version is not trying to write or overwrite a file.

wagr

More testing

Thank you. I've tried these steps to help narrow the problem. I can't run exactly what I did earlier as first time startup breakfast only happens once a day, so this is with an alt character.

1) changed the security permissions on my KOL folder to include Full Control for Authenticated Users (other users already had full control).
2) ran then newer r8267 as administrator. It started up and ran fine, including processing breakfast.
3) I closed KOLMafia and restarted without specifying administrator. Since breakfast isn't included again, I cast summon BRICKOs both on the Skill Casting tab and in my Loaded Web Browser (Firefox 3.6). No errors.
4) I closed KOLMafia again, turned off the Full Control security for Authenticated Users, and restarted. Again, cast summon BRICKOs, changed outfits, visited my clan, bought a Stuffed Dodo. No problems. However, when I adventure, either in browser or through the Adventure tab in KOLMafia, I get at least one debug dump at the end of combat.
5) Close KOLMafia again, added Full Control security for Authenticated Users again, now I can adventure without errors.

For the debug errors I did receive, here is an example:
Unexpected error, debug log printed.
class java.lang.NullPointerException: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.TreeMap.put(Unknown Source)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.Modifiers.writeModifiers(Modifiers.java:2928)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia.saveDataOverride(KoLmafia.java:1057)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.CharPaneRequest.refreshEffects(CharPaneRequest.java:603)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.CharPaneRequest.processCharacterPane(CharPaneRequest.java:226)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.CharPaneRequest.processResults(CharPaneRequest.java:134)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1705)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.CharPaneRequest.run(CharPaneRequest.java:128)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.processResponse(GenericRequest.java:1748)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.FightRequest.runOnce(FightRequest.java:1088)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.FightRequest.run(FightRequest.java:1109)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.handleServerRedirect(GenericRequest.java:1505)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.GenericRequest.retrieveServerReply(GenericRequest.java:1353)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.request.AdventureRequest.run(AdventureRequest.java:208)
at net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLAdventure.run(KoLAdventure.java:918)
at net.sourceforge.foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread$AbstractWorkerAction.run(AbstractWorkerThread.java:84)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at net.sourceforge.foxtrot.AbstractWorkerThread.runTask(AbstractWorkerThread.java:41)
at net.sourceforge.foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:235)
at net.sourceforge.foxtrot.workers.SingleWorkerThread.run(SingleWorkerThread.java:216)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)​

I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Bale

Minion
If you're going to post debugs here, please attach them to the file, rather than copy-paste. Or if you're going to copy-paste, at least don't post the part with the email address since spam bots will be all over her!! Please delete that part from your first message! (I'd think everyone would know that it is troublesome when email addresses are posted in forums, though I don't think they investigate attachments.)

wagr

I'm sorry for including the e-mail; removed. I'll attach logs in the future.

Thank you, fronobulax, for your help. I've gotten no errors today!

wagr

More, ongoing troubles. Seems that new items cause debug log prints and KOLMafia gets stubborn about continuing, especially via the relay-browser.

What seems to make it work is to run .rar (I'm currently using build 8336.rar), go into Windows Task Manager -> processes tab -> right-click javaw.exe -> select properties -> Caompatability tab -> check the privilege level "Run this program as an administrator".

My latest bug log attached.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20100327.txt
    112.3 KB · Views: 55