Java Problem?

Now I'm really confused about why mafia's not working. I got out my old desk top, the one with less ram, less hard drive space, and an older version of windows (XP). Mafia runs fine on there. I'm afraid to download java version 6 update 18 though (the desk top is running version 6 update 17) because that's what started the trouble on my net book. But I reverted to an earlier version on the net book and it still didn't work . . .

As far as I know everyone with this problem is running either Vista or Windows 7. Could the problem be a memory leak in the OS?

wagr

I'm just adding my experience as possible clues. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. I manually installed Java 1.6.018 as the only Java on the machine. I also copied my entire KOL folder from my old machine (Windows XP Pro) to this one - to preserve all my settings. It had kolmafia r8094 (Feb 5) in it. That all ran fine.

Today, I pulled down the latest Sunday build r8267 and ran it. It started fine, logged on and opened the main interface screen as well. However, it never completed anything for breakfast with several "Unexpected error, debug log printed" messages. I have all breakfast options turned on in preferences. The debug log has 10 of these debug dumps. More info posted at http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?3722-a-lot-of-debug-messages

Following the advice of fronobulax, I:
1) changed the security permissions on my KOL folder to include Full Control for Authenticated Users (other users already had full control).
2) ran then newer r8267 as administrator. It started up and ran fine, including processing breakfast.
... After a few more testing scenarios, think I'm running without errors without specifying run as administrator.

I'll check things over again tomorrow.

-- edit --

No errors today.

Last edited:

wagr

More, ongoing troubles. Seems that new items cause debug log prints and KOLMafia gets stubborn about continuing, especially via the relay-browser.

What seems to make it work is to run .rar (I'm currently using build 8336.rar), go into Windows Task Manager -> processes tab -> right-click javaw.exe -> select properties -> Caompatability tab -> check the privilege level "Run this program as an administrator"

An annoying process, but it got me working today.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What seems to make it work is to run .rar (I'm currently using build 8336.rar)
Any chance you typo'd rar for jar? If not then I am confused. If running as an Administrator helps I would again look at file or directory ownership problems. Back in the days when real coders used Unix from a command line I had several weird problems like this. The account with the problems was set up incorrectly and as a consequence the default parameters for file creations were incompatible with the account privileges. Thus everything went fine in the account until a new file had to be created.

For the record I have never encountered anything that mafia tired to do that required Administrator access. If it did, running it from a thumb drive on a locked down machine at school/work/the library would not work.

All this meaning I would first look at file and directory permissions and ownership.

datavortex

After upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit from 32-Bit Win XP (SP3), I couldn't even get KoLmafia-14.0.exe to launch (no error, nothing, running the program from the command line or the GUI produced no output whatsoever). This is under Java version 6, update 18, 32-bit.

I fixed the problem by telling windows to run the binary in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3. No problems since then.

jijineiro

I'm on a 32-bit Win XP SP2 with java 1.6.0_20 and I cannot run neither jar nor exes.

ETA
Tried about every advice in this thread and no dice

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm on a 32-bit Win XP SP2 with java 1.6.0_20 and I cannot run neither jar nor exes.

ETA
Tried about every advice in this thread and no dice

At the risk of sounding "not helpful" what does "cannot run" mean in terms that might help identify what the problem is?

Bale

Minion
I think that "cannot run" means that he dresses up his computer in a track suit, puts it on the sidewalk and then it just sits there instead of ambulating quickly, as expected. What else could it mean? You really need to have more imagination.

jijineiro

At the risk of sounding "not helpful" what does "cannot run" mean in terms that might help identify what the problem is?

Cannot run = double click on the .exe or .jar file and the error shows up
also cannot run = open a windows prompt console and write java -jar full_path_and_name.jar and the console displays errors

I think that "cannot run" means that he dresses up his computer in a track suit, puts it on the sidewalk and then it just sits there instead of ambulating quickly, as expected. What else could it mean? You really need to have more imagination.

LOL, literally.
Fortunately I found a Java version that works after reinstall: 1.5.0_22 from sun's official site.
Just to be clear for others, I simply uninstalled the newer version and installed a few other and this is the 1st one that worked. I did no registry cleanup no nothing, just simple uninstall/install until I got a working one. Good luck!

Last edited:

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I suppose if I had noticed this which has more information, I might not have asked the question. For the record, 1.6.0_14 is working for me on Windows 7/64. I have no idea why the automatic Java updates are not happening for me but I guess that is a good thing.

could not find the main class net.sourceforge.kolmafia.KoLmafia
is usually a packaging or a command line problem.

fatal exception occurred. Program will exit
is not something anyone wants to see and the first finger would get pointed to Sun, although what usually happens in those cases is that the offending code had been using an undocumented feature or bug that was "fixed" in the update.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Necrothread and double post!

Bale the Brilliant probably found the answer in this thread at the main KoL forums.

Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables

User variable: JAVA_HOME, set this to the correct path to your java installation. For me that is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_20

System Variable: CLASSPATH
Posted here for future reference.