Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PriceAdvisor: Maximize your profits

I tried using the script, but I keep getting this error:

Updating use_for_items.txt from '' to '2009-12-24T15:51:09-06:00'...
    Unexpected error, debug log printed.
    Failed to load file use_for_items.txt

Are you using a daily build 7878 or greater?

Are there any plans for special-casing items that grant +meat/+item effects on use?
    Basing it off standard gains in the castle (roughly 1.22 meat/+1%meat and 1.21 meat/+1%items, afaik, according to my old spreadsheet - UniversalFarming says 1.25 meat/+1%meat and 1.3 meat/+1%item with olfaction, 0.95 meat/+1%item without olfaction).

So, say, red snowcone is worth about 20*50*1.25=1250 meat ...

I'm going to tentatively say "No" to that. Here are my concerns:

- Evaluation would have to be limited strictly to Castle-farming, at default ML, combat rate, etc., and would have to ignore the fact that there is a level of item-drop beyond which more does nothing.

- I don't think it's currently trivial to go from item -> effect in Mafia. Once you have the effect it's simple to get to the item / meat drop via numeric_modifier, but that ignores how many turns you get. (This might be fun to work on, though.)

- I'm also not sure what PA would report, since in its current paradigm it would do the math rather like this:
    Code:
    profit = ( (benefit of +meat or +item) - valueOfAdventure ) * # of effect turns
    On the one hand this is reasonable, since it clearly costs an adventure to get the benefit of the effect. On the other hand, for any reasonable valueOfAdventure (default is 500) this would likely result in negative profit -- which is ridiculous, as the used adventures would also you be gaining whatever else you got farming the castle.

- There's no good way to take into account the fact that you might be running several beneficial effects for the "cost" of the same adventures. PA's basic unit is one item, one piece of advice -- it's not set up to give one piece of advice incorporating several items.

- I worry that this is a strange way to "value" an item in a larger script, in that it requires more than manipulation of your inventory. So do woking and some smithing, but these use up adventures in a very simple way.

On the other hand, using an item for the benefit of its effect is certainly a legitimate way to turn it into meat. I'd be pleased to hear any further thoughts on this!

Code:
    profit = ( (benefit of +meat or +item) - valueOfAdventure ) * # of effect turns
    Originally Posted by aqualectrix View Post
    Assuming you would only use an item to benefit your castle farming when you were going to farm the castle already, it will not take additional adventures.

This is a great script, but what is the reasoning when it suggests this?

Code:
    asshat:
    untinker asshat; acquire 1 bum cheek; combine 2 bum cheeks; mallsell asshat: 980.0 meat
    mallsell asshat: 650.0 meat
    smash asshat; mallsell cold powder; acquire 4 piles of sleaze powder; malus 5 piles of sleaze powder; mallsell sleaze nuggets; autosell twinkly powder: 131.33334 meat
    autosell asshat: 45.0 meat

My initial guess is that it wants you to untinker the asshat, buy two more bum cheeks, make 2 asshats, and sell them, which is where it gets the bigger price. But it's not actually saying that, and besides that's a crazy sort of recommendation. I'll look into it.

Edit: Okay, 1.41 now gives clearer advice in this situation:
    Code:
    asshat:
    untinker asshat; then do 2 times: acquire 1 bum cheek; combine 2 bum cheeks; mallsell asshat: 740.0 meat
    mallsell asshat: 650.0 meat
    smash asshat; mallsell cold powder; mallsell sleaze powder; autosell twinkly powder: 83.333336 meat
    autosell asshat: 45.0 meat
    This fixes the "utterly confusing advice" issue but not the "that's a crazy thing to suggest" issue. It was such a quick fix for the one that I just went ahead and released it without worrying about a fix for the other, which is sillier but not as wrong/confusing.

Here's the logic:
    asshat is untinkerable, so try untinkering it -- you get 2 bum cheeks. What's the best thing to do with a bum cheek? Acquire another and make an asshat (at least at the moment).

Because of PA's strict one-item evaluation, it's not smart enough to realize that hey, you just took apart a freakin' asshat. And at the moment, buying the pieces for another and selling two is going to net you more profit than just selling the first. It's just that this feels like very silly advice. It is very silly advice. I'll try to work in some special-casing for "if the final result is the same as the initial result (or a multiple), this is silly advice and you shouldn't give it".

Edit 2: Okay, that was a lot easier than I thought it would be. 1.42 catches this type of silly advice in "use" and "untinker" cases and refuses to give it as advice; if it shows up anywhere else, let me know! (And for anyone who downloaded 1.41, sorry for the necessity to redownload so quickly...)

As a bonus, 1.42 eliminates some artifacts of the occasional overlap between my item_use map and "SUSE" type concoctions. Together, the 1.42 fixes eliminate some of the bizarre/repetitive advice you might have been getting for clovers.

And let me just say: Thank you Quincunx! There are so many weird edge cases in this script that I just can't test all the interactions, and rely very much on reports and questions like yours to point me at things that need fixing.
    Last edited by aqualectrix; 12-27-2009 at 06:23 AM.

Using 1.42:

Code:
    box:
    acquire 1 nothing-in-the-box; combine 1 box, 1 nothing-in-the-box; acquire 1 spring; combine 1 box-in-the-box, 1 spring; mallsell nothing-in-the-box-in-the-box: 1700.0 meat
    mallsell box: 775.0 meat
    acquire 1 nothing-in-the-box-in-the-box; combine 1 box, 1 nothing-in-the-box-in-the-box; untinker box-in-the-box-in-the-box; mallsell box; mallsell nothing-in-the-box-in-the-box: 775.0 meat
    acquire 1 wrapping paper; combine 1 box, 1 wrapping paper; mallsell present: 768.0 meat
    smash box; autosell twinkly powder: 30.0 meat
    autosell box: 19.0 meat
    acquire 1 spring; combine 1 box, 1 spring; : 0.0 meat
    I always thought the recipes involving boxes were confusing... and the wrapping paper to make a present was just precious... I would make a 768 meat profit buying wrapping paper that costs 26 mil? And a present costs minimum 28 mil in the mall atm... *thinks this one slipped thru the cracks*

Aqua, this is mega awesome. Can't wait to play with it, and eventually integrate in to farm.ash (which, if you don't have the password for, PM me and I will hook you up - of course).

Perhaps a future feature would be "make_it_so" - where it actually liquidates the item in the most profitable way?
    My scripts: Ascend for automatic ascensions, Farm to make more money than castlefarming, EatDrink for the maximum number of turns each day, LevelUp to gain a level safely, and PullCrap to manage your pulls in ronin.

Using 1.42:
    I always thought the recipes involving boxes were confusing... and the wrapping paper to make a present was just precious... I would make a 768 meat profit buying wrapping paper that costs 26 mil? And a present costs minimum 28 mil in the mall atm... *thinks this one slipped thru the cracks*
    Originally Posted by Spiny View Post
    First let's talk about wrapping paper. This is a consequence of, essentially, three things:
    1) PA can only see the 5th price of an item, as per Mafia standard. Wrapping paper probably isn't selling at that price (or heck, maybe even at the lowest mall price), but that's more context than PA is capable of understanding.
    2) PA has no common sense; if the math of selling prices and opportunity costs says you should buy wrapping paper in order to profit from a box, it thinks that's a dandy idea. Even though that's crazy. (This is one of the reasons the alias I suggest uses price_advice() rather than best_price() -- you have to use your own brain on top of PA's, so it's worth it to see all the options in case the first is crazy.) I think that it would be weird to hard-code special-case all "too expensive" items, so these recommendations stay.
    3) As to why you're not making millions on the wrapping paper suggestion, I assume this is because the opportunity cost of the wrapping paper is higher than the mallsell price, thus making the eventual profit lower than you might expect.

That third piece of advice definitely looks like it needs to be taken care of, though. Bother. The simple fix wasn't good enough, alas.

Aqua, this is mega awesome. Can't wait to play with it, and eventually integrate in to farm.ash (which, if you don't have the password for, PM me and I will hook you up - of course).

Perhaps a future feature would be "make_it_so" - where it actually liquidates the item in the most profitable way?
    Originally Posted by dj_d View Post
    Thank you! Farm.ash was one of the possible "embed in another script" applications I was thinking of when I wrote it, so I'm pleased you are thinking along the same lines.

A make_it_so option is intriguing, but runs into the "sometimes PA has no common sense or sense of market movement" issue. (There's also the matter of letting PA mature a bit, as it clearly still needs some tweaking!)
    One solution might be to specify a maximum price at which other ingredients could be bought, either as a strict maximum or as a percentage of the mallsell price of the initial item. Thoughts?