Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Automatically download the newest daily build

Anyone have access to the C# code that was posted in the OP?
    Originally Posted by heeheehee View Post
    Is this what you're looking for?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...MafiaUpdate.cs

Developer

Looks like it, thanks!

Developer

See attached for the updated exe. Also uploaded the modified source code (as a .txt because of file extension restrictions in the upload process) in case we run into this sort of issue in the future.
    Attached Files

Thanks! I used the DailyDownloader for the past week, but this is just so much faster... downloads and launches in under 5 seconds rather than giving up at 64 percent after 40 seconds.

Thanks! I used the DailyDownloader for the past week, but this is just so much faster... downloads and launches in under 5 seconds rather than giving up at 64 percent after 40 seconds.
    Originally Posted by Theraze View Post
    Hi Theraze, not sure why that would be. You know Java, right? Could you do me a favor and look at the source for DailyDownloader's downloader? Here's the link if you need it: https://github.com/wrldwzrd89/kolmaf...gressTask.java

Looks like it, thanks!
    Originally Posted by heeheehee View Post
    Oh, good. Now I'm glad I decided to keep the source code. I use Mafia quite often, so of course, I had to register just to make the code available for updating. Thanks for updating it!

Hi Theraze, not sure why that would be. You know Java, right? Could you do me a favor and look at the source for DailyDownloader's downloader? Here's the link if you need it: https://github.com/wrldwzrd89/kolmaf...gressTask.java
    Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
    Two major possibilities come to mind.
    One, the C# implementation of WebClient.DownloadFile is faster than the Java implementation of InputStream.read into FileOutputString.write. It makes sense that something designed to download files works faster than something meant to show individual characters.
    Two, displaying the download progress might potentially slow down the download itself - though on repeated attempts, the DLPT did skip numbers when it actually got more than a percent in a second. Most runs though, I did get every percentage point marked. This is more likely related to the first point though.

I briefly considered whether flash mode was actually causing slowness, but on examining the source saw that it could also be called 'portable mode' or something similar, as it merely controls whether the settings files (xml and version timestamp) are used from the folder or from inside your profile. No chance of that causing the problems, and it did have the same results (sometimes fast, sometimes slow) regardless on multiple runs - my first few runs didn't make that clear as the flash were always slow and profile was not due to random luck. That did help me to remove the scattered 'cache' files which weren't useful though, so at least that's something.

I think it's just a feature of how the file is being collected off the server. Based on a bit of quick reading, it looks like changing from IS.r/FOS.w to something else might speed things up.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...94778#30394778

There's a bunch of different options, but most either are noted as similar, slower, or security issues.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...net-using-java

Anyways, looks like the core issue is simply that Java's legacy implementation isn't the fastest at downloading.

re DailyDownloader, without any of the dialogs displayed this has been saturating my 5mbps connection every time. anecdata.

Hm. The link to the exe in the main post is failing for me.

It's true. You need to use hee*3's update from post 103. That one works great.