Initiative/pickpocket detection problem

xephyne

Until the last day or two, I've had no major problems with Mafia.

Suddenly, autoadventuring always says that I lose initiative (and thus, won't let me pickpocket as a DB). At +115%, I get initiative every time via relay, but never via autoadventuring. I set "show all requests" in the preferences section, and I can see that do actually win initiative, but Mafia insists that I didn't.

Now for the weird part...

I upgraded to r7622 the other day, and thought perhaps that caused it. So I rolled back to r7603, same behavior. Then I went to a totally clean v13.5 directory, and still have the same problem.

That makes me suspect the problem involves my account settings rather than Mafia directly, but I haven't (deliberately) changed anything there in months.

So... Has anyone seen a similar problem, and have any suggestions for how to fix it?

Thanks.

jasonharper

Developer
Let's see a debug log of an automated combat that was incorrectly indicated as having lost initiative. This can be controlled via debug on and debug off from the CLI, or by one of the menus.

xephyne

jasonharper : Let's see a debug log of an automated combat that was incorrectly indicated as having lost initiative.

Okay, I've attached the debug log (just logged in, single combat, logged out) to this message... Running +115% init, against a senile lihc with no ML modifiers.

Incidentally, from the log I think I can see at least part of the problem (if not the cause) - The first combat page logged for the encounter starts at "You twiddle your thumbs", despite not having done anything yet (and I didn't have the relay browser open to have interfered with it somehow).

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DEBUG_20090917.txt
    18 KB · Views: 85

jasonharper

Developer
Well, that's bizarre... Check your account settings, see if your auto-attack has been set to some impossible action. (This isn't quite the result I would expect in that case, but it's the only possible explanation I can think of at the moment.)

I'm having trouble with a related issue - not sure if it's the same problem as described above.

I'm using a CCS that is just the following:
[ default ]
1: steal
2: skill vicious talon slash
3: attack

I'm in birdform. When I adventure in mafia using this CCS, the script goes right to the talon slash instead of looking for shiny objects, even when I get the jump:

[378] Defiled Nook
Encounter: toothy sklelton
Strategy: birdform.ccs [default]
Round 0: greenrider wins initiative!
Round 1: greenrider casts VICIOUS TALON SLASH!

xephyne

First, thanks for taking a look at this, Jason.

I checked my autoattack settings and had it set to none... Just as a sanity-check, I set it to cleesh, ran one encounter manually to make sure it worked, then set it back to none. Still the same behavior.

However, I ran debug sessions for a number of possible manual-vs-autoadventuring combat scenarios, and found one major difference (which may explain the "twiddle your thumbs" thing...

Any variety of manual adventuring (with one exception, which I'll get to in a minute), makes the following two requests (note that I inserted the space after "http" to keep the forum from converting these to links):
Requesting: http ://www.kingdomofloathing.com/adventure.php?snarfblat=33&pwd
Requesting: http ://www.kingdomofloathing.com/fight.php?ireallymeanit=1253284670​

Autoadventuring, however, changes that to:
Requesting: http ://www.kingdomofloathing.com/adventure.php?snarfblat=33&pwd
Requesting: http ://www.kingdomofloathing.com/fight.php​

Now, for the exception - If I manually issue the second version (with no ireallymeanit value), I get the "twiddle your thumbs" message.

I would tend to think that KoL changed how it responds to those two calls to fight.php in the past few days, except that no one else (greenrider aside, and his issue might not have the same cause) seems to have this problem. I mentioned it in /hc, and at least one person on r7625 said pickpocketting worked just fine.

So, I dunno. If anyone has more ideas of what else I might have done to cause this, feel free to suggest them.

xephyne

Oh, one more point, which may or may not have any relevance to my issue...

I realized that I first saw this problem shortly after I freed Ralph for this run (HCNP DB), and I haven't ascended yet since doing so. I plan to ascend today or tomorrow, so I'll post again with whether or not the problem vanishes when I do.

jasonharper

Developer
Give r7631 a try - it passes on the ireallymeanit value when automating combat.

I still have no idea why the lack of that value would cause a problem for you, but not for most everyone else...

xephyne

Wow, thank you so much for actually making a build (basically) just for me!

Unfortunately... No luck. It does make the requested page sequences effectively identical, but still has the initiative problem.

Next, I ascended... Still happening. On the bright side, I chose a non-mox class (TT), so not recognizing initiative doesn't matter all that much for now.

So... I tried installing Mafia on a different computer with a different version of the JRE, making a new KoL account, and somehow still have the same problem. That rules out account preferences as well, I would think.

For my next experiment (which I won't have a chance to do until omorrow), I'll try from a different ISP. That remains as pretty much the only thing I can think of as a possible factor - I have satellite internet, and their modems run a somewhat flaky passive caching web proxy.

Thanks again for your help!

ZombieWomble

So, I recently ascended into my first moxie ascension in a while, and have encountered the same issue as greenrider - Mafia seems to know when I've got initiative, but won't attempt to steal anything.

Stripped down combat script to just a single case:

[ default ]
1: pickpocket
2: skill noodles
3: skill shieldbutt

But:

Encounter: slick lihc
Strategy: F:\.kolmafia\ccs\moxiebutt.ccs [default]
Round 0: ZombieWomble wins initiative!
Round 1: ZombieWomble casts ENTANGLING NOODLES!
Round 2: ZombieWomble casts SHIELDBUTT!

etc.

Originally encountered using v7642, I updated to 7658, and the problem persisted. Checked on different machines, created a fresh download and mafia folder, etc, no dice.

Am I missing some obvious setting to encourage this to work?

ETA:

Well, moments after posting I encountered what seems like an explanation. I did a quick spot of backfarming to fill in the rest of a level, and mafia started stealing again. Looks like it requires a certain moxie level before it will steal as part of a combat script? I assume this makes it a feature rather than a bug - is this an option which can be set anywhere? I had a quick nose through the various options and didn't see any likely candidates.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing. My KoLMafia will only steal against monsters it thinks are "easy". HOw can I ove5rride this? Id like to pickpocket ALWAYS, even against scaling monsters.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Tell mafia to use a custom combat script, and then either add pickpocketing to that script or set your auto-attack to pickpocket.

Cheese Loaf

Doesn't seem to work, alas- I'm using a CCS, in birdform in the battlefield, and mafia skips the pickpocket step. My CCS:

1: try to steal an item
2: skill spring raindrop attack
3: skill vicious talon slash

Sample log:
Strategy: C:\Users\MSUM\Desktop\Kol7\ccs\birdhaiku.ccs [default]
Round 0: cheese loaf wins initiative!
Round 1: cheese loaf casts SPRING RAINDROP ATTACK!
You gain 18 hit points
You gain 19 Mana Points
You lose 20 hit points
Round 2: cheese loaf casts VICIOUS TALON SLASH!

Etc. Autoattack has been tried at both disabled and pickpocket, with no success. Any further ideas?

Winterbay

If the KoL-command for birdform pickpocket is the same as the normal one you can try changing
Code:
try to steal an item
to
Code:
"pickpocket"
in your CCS.

That might work...