Bug - Fixed Zone bonuses should not be doubled by Squint

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
By asawyer commenting on my experience, zone bonuses probably aren't doubled by Squint.

I hit this while trying to find the drop rate at the Neverending Party with the perfectly fair coin: Mafia reports the handbag bonus as 100% under Squint (or the champagne bottle), while it's probably 50%.

Darzil

Developer
Before I start looking at fixing this, can you test somewhere that doesn't have a constantly reducing drop rate ?

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Sure. I've used my perfectly fair coin for today and I'm ascending, but I can check on Monday.

One place to check is SMOOCH private with fannypacks. heat-resistant sheet metal is 20%, perfectly fair coin will require +150% to drop. Fannypacks are +40% each, or +80% if doubled. However, I've got all the +item passives, which is +60% base, so I'll need some negative item drop, and I'm not sure if that's also doubled with squint.

One other place would be garbage tourists. The drop is 15% on the wiki, but not confirmed.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Oh yeah, that reminds me that I have a ton of data for all the drops in Barf.

Code:
Index: src/data/monsters.txt
===================================================================
--- src/data/monsters.txt	(revision 18867)
+++ src/data/monsters.txt	(working copy)
@@ -1587,9 +1587,9 @@
 Yomama	1737	yomama.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 300 Init: -10000 P: dude

# Barf Mountain (Dinseylandfill April 2015)
-angry tourist	1758	stenchtourist.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: dude Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	cheap sunglasses (0)	expensive camera (0)	How to Avoid Scams (0)	garbage juice slurpee (c0)
-garbage tourist	1760	garbagetourist.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: elemental Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	bag of park garbage (0)	bag of park garbage (0)	bag of park garbage (0)
-horrible tourist family	1759	stenchfamily.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: dude Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	expensive camera (0)	filthy child leash (0)	bag of gross foreign snacks (0)
+angry tourist	1758	stenchtourist.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: dude Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	cheap sunglasses (5)	expensive camera (15)	How to Avoid Scams (20)	garbage juice slurpee (c10)
+garbage tourist	1760	garbagetourist.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: elemental Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	bag of park garbage (15)	bag of park garbage (15)	bag of park garbage (15)
+horrible tourist family	1759	stenchfamily.gif	Atk: 100 Def: 100 HP: 100 E: stench P: dude Init: -10000 Meat: 250 NOBANISH	expensive camera (15)	filthy child leash (5)	bag of gross foreign snacks (20)

# Pirates of the Garbage Barges (Dinseylandfill April 2015)
 filthy pirate	1761	stinkpirate1.gif	Atk: 150 Def: 150 HP: 100 E: stench P: pirate Init: -10000 NOBANISH	dirty rigging rope (0)	grogpagne (0)	plunge-leg (c0)

source: many thousands of drops

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Not doubling zone bonuses is probably as difficult as supporting doubling in the first place. By the time the code checks whether to include a modifier for doubling, it no longer knows whether it's location-specific.

I just had the idea of checking whether the modifier expression contains env( or zone(, but some things have modifiers that aren't location-specific that should be doubled in addition to things that should not be doubled, so that doesn't work.

At least I knew I wasn't handling that case when I added squint support 2 years ago.

Darzil

Developer
Yeah, would be more difficult.

However, at present the proof is in a zone where we now find drop rates drop off quickly, so needs checking.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, florist doesn't get doubled either. IIRC it's just passives, gear, and effects with "Item Drop" that applies regardless of monster or zone. Talking spade reports this accurately, I believe.

Would it be easier to just maintain a blacklist of effects?

Do we know that drop rates actually wear off (i.e. is it possible that we just have a zone-based rejection of drops)? (Is the pickpocket thing that Darzil mentioned in the IotM thread just another instance of autoattack bug?)

Darzil

Developer
Well, first 9 turns in zone I've had everything drop each time, but then even pretty common drops get less and less common, after 100 of so turns being one every few monsters.

I could be a zone based drop rejection, and rates are unaffected. The difficulty is knowing from the outside the difference between that and a missed drop. I've also had two rares, and got both in those early turns. It could be that we just trust any drop rate spading in those first 9 turns.

My suggestion would be that we have a new Item Drop type if the doubling doesn't affect it. Location Item Drop, so we can evaluate it, but also tell that it cannot be doubled.

Darzil

Developer
Yeah, florist doesn't get doubled either. IIRC it's just passives, gear, and effects with "Item Drop" that applies regardless of monster or zone. Talking spade reports this accurately, I believe.

r18871 - Florist not affected by item doublers. Assume some others also aren't (Horsery, Boombox, in fight bonuses), and that stat gain doublers aren't also.

I guess we need some spading to work out what is and isn't affected ! (There may also be Smithslike craziness where when you put the item on matters)

Edit - And speaking of spading, wonder if Bow Legged Swagger doubles Weapon Damage and Weapon Damage Percent, or just one of them. I guess easiest to check in Community Service, but maybe there is another way.

Last edited:

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Adventuring in Barf Mountain with all the passives (Mad Looting Skillz, Powers of Observatiogn, Natural Born Scrabbler, Object Quasi-Permanence, 20/20 Vision, Thief Among the Honorable), Steely-Eyed Squint, a ring of the skeleton lord and a stinky fannypack. This gives 250% if the drop is doubled, 210% if it isn't. With the perfectly fair coin, I need +233% to force a 15% drop.

I get the drop. Just to check, I swap the fannypack for Cheeng's and equip a Light that Never Goes Out for a natural 210%, which fails to get the drop as expected.

So it looks like the fannypack, at least, is doubled by Squint.

The scenario that triggered this thread, that I've replicated, is:
*adventure in the Party with Squint, the champagne bottle, the perfectly fair coin, and X% drop that includes the surprisingly capacious handbag. Fail to get a rare. Adventure with X% drop not including the handbag, and get the rare. There are a few other things it could be here -- I'll check whether the fannypack is doubled by the champagne bottle tomorrow.

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
Champagne bottle seems to also double. Contra earlier this thread, it looks like Florist is doubled as well: if I, with the champagne bottle, remove a camp scout backpack (+15%, doubled) and add a Stealing Magnolia (+25%), I start getting the expensive camera drops again.

Best guess at the moment is just that handbag is special. Next, I'll look into whether it works at all, with the perfectly fair coin.

Darzil

Developer
Well, that's good news. Maybe handbag is just broken, then.

r18882 reshuffles the code back.

Last edited:

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I think the handbag is broken (and I've bug reported that assuming it to be the case), but I'm no longer certain: I was assuming that all monsters had the same drop rate for the uncommon items in the first X turns, but I'm no longer sure that's true. There are some cases where I've failed to get the drops from e.g. a jock, but got them from a burnout the next turn, or vice versa. I'm now thinking perhaps that was a queue artifact and the actual drop rate decreases for each instance of each monster you encounter. Looking at my logs for the 12th, the encounters went burnout-biker-jock-plain-party, so if all the monsters have the same drop rate for the uncommons, I think that's well-set at 15% for the first fight.

My logs for the 13th indicate that I fought a first-turn burnout with the handbag and failed to get the drops, then swapped in a Light that Never Goes Out and a gold detective badge (replacing a plexiglass pendant) to fight a plain girl and did get the drops, so that would be consistent with the handbag just not working.

edit: today's spading indicates drops probably decrease with each instance of a particular fought. I ran, from the second turn onwards, 235.96% item (decreasing to 234.44% as my snowsuit lost a charge), and fought, in order,

burnout-party-burnout-biker-jock-burnout-jock-nc-burnout-burnout-party-biker-plain

with a perfectly fair coin. I got all four drops from the first instance of each monster, including the plain girl at the end, despite being outside the 10 turn free fight limit (I used free kills to keep the coin up).

Last edited:

Ryo_Sangnoir

Developer
Staff member
I also checked, with 232% drop and the handbag, to see whether it offers any item drop at all (15% would make sense comparing with the wallet chain). Alas, it does not.

I also fought a plain girl with 232% and didn't get the uncommons, then with 234% and did, so it looks like the drop chance decreases with each drop you get.