Feature - Rejected maximizer feature file of items to ignore

taltamir

There are a variety of scripts that use turns out there... gingerbread city, fantasyrealm, nemesis quest, steel organ queest, etc.
Something they all have in common is using the maximizer to switch out your outfit as needed.

However, you might own "trap items" that trip them up. Such as:
red shirt (+20 ML, -50% all stats)
lava-proof pants (+5 hot res, -50% all stats)
costume sword (1 handed sword, base damage of 1-2, -10 weapon damage, +30 initiative)

I have seen the above 3 get equipped by by those scripts and result in them crashing and burning. Closetting doesn't help because I need mafia to consider my closet for other reasons.

It would be great if there was a text file in which I could list items to be excluded from maximizer.
Being a text file, it would be easy to share too.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Could you give an example, for the slow kid in the back, of a maximizer string that will actually equip one of the trap items and (if it is not obvious) why that is not acceptable? My knee jerk reaction to this is that the script writer needs to "correct" their maximizer string. Since the string is embedded in a script there is no real problem, IMO, in a string that already has 10 clauses getting one more. I can, however, see circumstances where there are items with a bizarre combination of attributes and each one requires a specific clause to exclude. At some point there could be enough of them to make it worth throwing in the towel and implementing an exclude list.

Darzil

Developer
And that exclude list for the script (because you wouldn't want those exclusions every time - eg lava-proof pants is great for the hot resist test in Community Service, red shirt is not an issue as Sorceror, costume sword great for init tests), can just be appended as -equip XXX to the maximizer script for each item.

Personally I use a lot of weighting in my maximizer strings. So an area where I want maximizer to have high -combat, pretty good item without sacrificing it, and decent exp, I'll be running "-10 combat, item, exp". I'll usually add, depending on class, +melee, -melee, and usually -breakable if I don't want to use something of limited use.

taltamir

My thoughts on this were more for older scripts that are not getting updated. With a possible override like +risky to ignore the entire list.

Although in retrospect, this is perhaps not the greatest of ideas. Probably better for me to just step up and make the necessary adjustments to those scripts myself

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
My thoughts on this were more for older scripts that are not getting updated.

I don't claim to read everything but some of the scripts you called out are AFAIK being maintained, yet I recall no posts in the appropriate thread asking for a change to avoid equipping X under circumstances Y because doing so crashes the script or causes it to burn all turns or whatever bad thing is happening. That might be an appropriate step.

Saklad5

I think this would best be implemented as a wrapper function, rather than by changing KoLmafia itself. Think the vprint() function in ZLib.