Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: KoLmafia using up lots of CPU

Still learning my tools. A snapshot that didn't burn many adventures seemed to have Equipment Manager and some Java/Swing as hotspots. The script meat farming run definitely showed a slight increase in memory usage over time. It wasn't huge but it definitely looked like Ye Olden Times when memory was allocated and deallocated manually and there was no garbage collection and there was a "leak" in the code.

P.S. I am running 64 bit Java and the OP's taskManager showed 32 bit so that might be a contributor.
    Last edited by fronobulax; 04-26-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add P.S.

P.S. I am running 64 bit Java and the OP's taskManager showed 32 bit so that might be a contributor.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Bingo! I installed the 64 bit Java and now everything appears to be good and stable. It appears that I have a lot more memory now: https://i.imgur.com/CnZWuVg.png

I will post here if the problem rears its head again. Otherwise, consider it solved

Thanks to everyone for looking at my issue and taking the time to help me with it.

Well. That is good to know.

Developer

So, is this not a bug, or do we need to say we only support Java 64 bit ?

So, is this not a bug, or do we need to say we only support Java 64 bit ?
    Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    I'm saying it is not a bug. I'm also thinking that we support Java and it is not our problem if someone's hardware and OS do much better with x64 than with x32.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post

32-bit software can only use numbers as large as 2^32. That includes memory addressing, so 32-bit programs can only directly access up to 4GiB of RAM.

64-bit software, on the other hand, can work with numbers up to 2^64. That means the theoretical maximum amount of RAM it can use is 17180000000GiB. This is generally considered Enough.

Moral of the story: stop using 32-bit software. Blame Microsoft for the continued prevalence of it in the Windows ecosystem.

KoLmafia definitely uses more CPU than I would expect it to, but that is just a result of using Java. Java is inefficient, so that’s par for the course unfortunately. I love programming in it, but I hate running it.

I’m sure there are a bunch of idling optimizations that could be made, but I’m certainly not familiar enough with KoLmafia’s code to contribute much there.