git-svn "Svndiff data contains invalid instruction" error since late February

git-svn "Svndiff data contains invalid instruction" error since late February

Since late February this year, every time I try to update my Git mirror of Mafia Subversion repository I get the following error:

Code:
Svndiff data contains invalid instruction: Invalid diff stream: [tgt] insn 0 starts beyond the target view position

This happens on several different machines, and regardless of whether I update an existing git-svn repo or try to create a new one. The last commit I have been able to retrieve this way is r18472, dated 2018-02-22.

Has anyone else here seen this error? On the one hand the presence of an author-map file in the repository suggests there are people who use Git to handle Mafia sources, on the other I have found no mention of such problems here.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
On the one hand the presence of an author-map file in the repository suggests there are people who use Git to handle Mafia sources, on the other I have found no mention of such problems here.

I'm not seeing an author-map file when I browse KoLmafia on SourceForge with SVN. Is it possible that the file was generated by SourceForge in order to make the archive git compatible? I know there are people who were using git to pull KoLmafia however I am not aware of anyone who has commit access to the code base on SourceForge who is using git to commit.

If there is a bug here, it's certainly with Sourceforge, so I'm moving this topic out of Bug Reports.

Yes, it is almost certainly a Sourceforge issue; searching on the Internet for similar error messages suggest inconsistencies in the underlying file structure of the repository, which have to be corrected on the server side.

I'm not seeing an author-map file when I browse KoLmafia on SourceForge with SVN.

It's there: util/authors.txt.

I know there are people who were using git to pull KoLmafia however I am not aware of anyone who has commit access to the code base on SourceForge who is using git to commit.

The way git-svn works is that in the end pushes are made over SVN anyway.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It's there: util/authors.txt

Oh. The file has been there since r9697 (2011) and the only changes were made by shwei, a.k.a. holatuwol. I always thought it was some kind of credits, but the first commit comment says "Add authors.txt in case anyone needs author information when doing git-svn rebase". Learned something.

That said, another comment says an author was added "to resolve git-svn fetch errors". Might be worth the effort to verify that the file is complete.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I've been using git-svn with Mafia for years. I don't have any issues on my end with using git svn-diff on my copy of the repository.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I know there are people who were using git to pull KoLmafia however I am not aware of anyone who has commit access to the code base on SourceForge who is using git to commit.

Note to self: You are now aware that heeheehee does use git.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Admittedly I haven't committed in over a year, but I have used git-svn to commit. I believe hola does, too -- I think he's the one who cares about maintaining the authors.txt file in the first place.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Admittedly I haven't committed in over a year, but I have used git-svn to commit. I believe hola does, too -- I think he's the one who cares about maintaining the authors.txt file in the first place.

I think it has been over a year since hola contributed. I do recall that when using git to access a svn repository became a thing, he cared about making it happen. veracity seems to be maintaining the Mac specific build code but I've lost track of her "personal" tools set.

I've been using git-svn with Mafia for years. I don't have any issues on my end with using git svn-diff on my copy of the repository.

Interesting, I have tried this from both several different machines and using many, many different versions of Git... Have you perhaps got a copy of your repository available somewhere I could clone it from?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Interesting, I have tried this from both several different machines and using many, many different versions of Git... Have you perhaps got a copy of your repository available somewhere I could clone it from?

Sorry, nope. Trying to clone from scratch in an empty directory, will report back if anything unusual happens.

I do recall checking out a partial history at some point so git wouldn't have to download the entire thing, not sure if that's the case still with my main repo.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Apparently my fresh checkout "finished" with the same error.

Try fetching past the problematic revision and the corresponding fix, e.g. via `git svn fetch -r 18485`; that seemed to fix the clean fetch for me.