Exe builds?

ereinion

Where do you get the latest exe-build of mafia. I'm on a windows tablet which doesn't seem to be able to run jar files, but which has an old version of mafia (17.2) which runs fine. Rather to try to figure out how to fix the Java install, I'd much rather just get a newish exe and don't have to worry any more about it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You can get .exe builds on sourceforge for point releases.

17.12 is the latest version. Probably approaching time to make a new point release, once Pokefam is as supported as it will be.

That will be version 18.4, presumably.

Saklad5

You can compile your own executable, but I’m fairly sure you cannot do that on Windows, ironically. You could always install Linux or something. That’s what I would do.

If you want to take the security risk, you could also ask someone else to send you the raw binary. I could oblige. It’s quite risky to trust some random stranger on the Internet, especially given the way Windows works, but it is up to you.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
You can compile your own executable, but I’m fairly sure you cannot do that on Windows, ironically. You could always install Linux or something. That’s what I would do.

If you want to take the security risk, you could also ask someone else to send you the raw binary. I could oblige. It’s quite risky to trust some random stranger on the Internet, especially given the way Windows works, but it is up to you.

I can't really map your answer to the question.

As part of the build process KoLmafia uses JSmooth which creates a native Windows launcher wrapped around a jar file. Its primary benefit to a Windows user is that it will try and find an installed Java Runtime Environment and use it. If "installing Java" always set up paths and file associations properly there would be no need for such a product.

Since it is a wrapper, nothing needs to be compiled. Any jar file can be wrapped and source code or a JDK are not needed. Furthermore the wrapping process AFAIK must be done on a Windows box.

The OP specified they were running a Windows tablet and that they wanted the exe build because they did not want to fix their Java install. I don't think the suggestion about Linux really addresses their concern.

Perhaps you didn't understand the process by which a KoLmafia exe was created? Perhaps you were thinking some kind of Java to native code compilation was going on? That has been tried in the distant past but was never an official artifact.