Bug - Fixed Pirate insult condition inconsistent

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
If I am searching for 6 pirate insults, I provide "6 pirate insult". If I were to then gain 3 insults, and cancel early for whatever reason, the condition will have updated to "3 pirate insult". When I hit start again it will see that it has 3 and stop.

The expected behavior for me would be: input "6 pirate insult", condition gets replaced with "+(6 - current insults) pirate insults" and that number then gets updated as more insults are found.

Also, while anyone is in there - if it could be just "x insult" that would be great! And possibly a default condition?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
If I am searching for 6 pirate insults, I provide "6 pirate insult". If I were to then gain 3 insults, and cancel early for whatever reason, the condition will have updated to "3 pirate insult". When I hit start again it will see that it has 3 and stop.

The expected behavior for me would be: input "6 pirate insult", condition gets replaced with "+(6 - current insults) pirate insults" and that number then gets updated as more insults are found.

Also, while anyone is in there - if it could be just "x insult" that would be great! And possibly a default condition?

I think changing the name of the goal to allow a string that ended with "insult" instead of ending with "pirate insult" would be trivial. I'll wait to do it because I fear making what I think is a trivial change and then finding out it is neither as trivial as I thought nor without side effects.

Similar comments apply to adding a default goal. The last time I looked at the expected value calculation I preferred 7 as a goal. I think I could be talked into adding 6 because for people who want 6, it is less typing and for people who want something else it is about the same as if there were no goal at all.

I appreciate the description of current vs. expected. I have this nagging feeling that the current behavior is something that, if changed, applies to ALL numeric conditions and as such requires more thought than I can give it now.

In contrast, my expected behavior is that if automation stops for any reason besides success at achieving the goal, all bets are off. I expect to resolve the stop condition manually and then act as I had before. Specifically in my mental model, my goal was and remains "6 pirate insults". That is what I would (re) enter as the goal after an unexpected stop. I know mafia will do the math for me so I would re-enter 6 even if it already said 3 or +3.

I do agree there is something 'wrong' but if you try and adventure with the (lower) goal already satisfied, nothing happens which is an acceptable outcome even if it is in some sense inefficient.

Darzil

Developer
It is a little weird.

r18793 adds default options for 6 and 7 insults (I think the math is use 6 unless on a moxie class where you are concerned about +statgain, then use 7).

Darzil

Developer
Hopefully r18974 fixes it, by setting condition like item does for pirate insults.

So, you set 6 pirate insults, if you have 4, say, adventuring will change goal to +2 pirate insults, which will remain if adventuring interrupted.