Why does my mood fail, saying that I doesn't have enough mana to cast the skill?

ereinion

"Not enough mana to cast Leash of Linguini.
Mood failed to cast 10 Leash of Linguini: Not enough mana to cast Leash of Linguini."

Mana restore is set to auto, and I have plenty of mp restorers.
nvb_jW4sTLu5F37sZFF7pw.png

AlbinoRhino

I ran into some similar issues. It appears that Mafia believes it is Festival of Jarlsberg ( via ash holiday() ). Therefore, mp_cost() is returning smaller values than it should.

It seems like when I looked at the main page in the browser earlier today that it did indeed say it was FoJ (although I can't absolutely swear to it). However, when I look at the main page now, there is no longer a holiday notice.

Probably just a temporary glitch until tomorrow, I expect.

AlbinoRhino

I exited mafia then logged back in...

Done checking allowed items.
Session data refreshed.
Refreshing stash contents...
Stash list retrieved.
Requesting store inventory...
Store inventory request complete.
Updating display case...
Initializing chat interface...
Festival of Jarlsberg, Muscle bonus today and yesterday.
Using data override: data/mallprices.txt
6836 prices updated from http://kolmafia.us/scripts/updateprices.php?action=getmap

AlbinoRhino

I sure don't. Same as last year, I had scripts suddenly start failing, which I tracked down to incorrect returns for mp_cost(). And eventually realized that mafia thought it was FoJ while main.php did not.

It seems the simplest solution might be to eliminate mafia's belief that Jan. 2 is FoJ. At least that way, mp_cost() will be calculated in a manner where calculations for number of casts won't fail, but instead there will be unexpected MP left over (during the part of the day when FoJ is occurring). ?? I don't know.

On the other hand, it's a once-per-year glitch and is probably caused by some timing thing on KoL's end of things...so it may not be worth messing with at all.

I would think that more people would be reporting their mood triggers etc. not working as expected (as in the original post in this thread)...but so far that doesn't seem the case. Or they're just not reporting it. So, maybe it doesn't affect things enough to be noticed much?

ereinion

A lot of my scripts are failing today as well, which is a bit of a pain as I don't have a lot of time to play today, and I was hoping for the scripts to get my turns done quickly. I tried searching for a property to change to convince mafia it is not the festival of jarlsberg today, but it appears there is no such thing visible to a casual user at least. I suppose the quickest fix I can come up with is setting the restore levels for mp ~10% higher than usual today, and hope that will fix it, so that it burns mp roughly to the usual level. Have you created some workaround for your scripts?

AlbinoRhino

Just a bump here as a reminder that this issue may reappear for people tomorrow.

My main page is currently showing that it is FoJ today ( though it's still before midnight here, on the real clock...today_to_string() = 20210101 already). Also, maybe this post will encourage more people to take notice of when exactly FoJ appears/disappears tomorrow....if it does. And we can finally determine what is actually happening.

AlbinoRhino

Well....appears I missed this...or forgot it.

Code:
Revision 19918 by veracity0 2020-03-25 20:06:09
Since Festival of Jarlsberg has now appeared 2 years in a row on January 1, after many years on January 2,
perhaps KoL has fixed a bug and it will always appear on January 1 henceforth. We'll see in 2021...
/src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/persistence/HolidayDatabase.java  (view) (diff)

So...all's well.