Bug - Not A Bug Tracking paranormal activity broke

After months of everything being in order, Mafia stopped being able to correctly track paranormal activities. The script puts on the proton pack, as it should, but then the proton pack's report doesn't get saved to ghostLocation. Hitting up the quest log sets ghostLocation up appropriately, but after disposing of the ghost nextParanormalActivity remains unchanged.

This showed up today morning in r18210 with no warning, after months of everything running smoothly. I upgraded to r18312 just in case that would help, it did not. Some assistance please? Maybe something got borked in Mafia's back end and it's having trouble updating things? But digitized monster tracking and re-digitizing, similarly based on set properties, is still working flawlessly...

Actually, this is probably related to a shift in proton pack messages reported in GD, sometimes with some extra numbers, sometimes just coming to life. Suggested workaround - if spotting a proton pack message, hit up the quest log to parse out the location and update nextParanormalActivity to go along with it?

Darzil

Developer
Suggested fix - post the html of the new messages in this thread and we'll update the quest tracking.

Magus_Prime

Sigh. I realized too late that the quest log doesn't have the "extra" text that shows up in the encounter results. Maybe next time.

Darzil

Developer
Could be a KoL bug, certainly I've just reported one, as the text in fight.php was :

The walkie-talkie on your proton accelerator crackles to life: ""

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I noticed this yesterday myself. Here's the patter we currently use:

Code:
	private static final Pattern PARANORMAL_PATTERN = Pattern.compile( ""Paranormal disturbance reported (.*?)."" );
I'll see if I can get a DEBUG log with the change and adjust.

For future reference, if a KoLmafia feature "stops working" because of a KoL change, that does not equate to a KoLMafia bug.

Darzil

Developer
For future reference, if a KoLmafia feature "stops working" because of a KoL change, that does not equate to a KoLMafia bug.
I think in this case the issue is more that we aren't reading the text between the quotes because there isn't any, due to a KoL bug, rather than an intended KoL change.
Whilst we could work around it by visiting quest log when we see "The walkie-talkie on your proton accelerator crackles to life", and setting the timer at this point, KoL is likely to get fixed pretty soon after this is reported (which I have).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Actually, I misunderstood Darzil's report. That text we are looking for is what used to be in the quotes. KoL is no longer filling it in.

That's clearly a KoL bug.

Since this is bugging me, too, I'll put in a hack to fetch the location from the quest log if it is not deducible from the message.

Edit: Heh. Ninja'd.

I'll put in a hack to read the quest log only if we don't get the message normally. So, no change in behavior for the normal case, and will get us by until they fix it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This is not a KoLmafia bug - and I'm changing it to reflect that - but Revision 18316 works around the KoL bug

At the time when I tossed the OP up I thought it was Mafia-side, hence the "bug" tag, sorry. Once I went on GD and saw what was going on I made the follow-up post, but I failed to find a way to edit the tag away from bug. Thanks for the hotfix!

Malibu Stacey

This is not a KoLmafia bug - and I'm changing it to reflect that - but Revision 18316 works around the KoL bug

Confirm this works in r18317. I just got

Code:
You win the fight!

The walkie-talkie on your proton accelerator crackles to life: ""

But Guide updated with the details as previously.