How can I migrate my settings from a Linux machine to a Windows machine?

anachronda

I have been using mafia for awhile on a Lubuntu (same as Ubuntu but some lighter stuff on) linux machine that is very very old. I have a newer laptop I was recently able to get going. Unfortunately I had no luck getting Linux on it so I ended up using Windows 10 there. Since mafia is a java application, that's not a big deal, but the problem is I have all that customization, settings, aliases, and scripts going on on the linux machine. I looked at the wiki, which somewhat tells where things live on windows, but I am not sure how to translate between the two.

I did try copying ~/.kolmafia to my cygwin home directory and starting mafia from the cygwin bash shell but it did not pick up the settings.

I know I could also ssh into the linux machine and redirect x11 to an x server on the windows machine, but I am hoping to take advantage of the extra power this way newer box has.

Is there a way to migrate settings or am I stuck doing this manually?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
On Windows, setting go in the same folder that you run mafia from, so that's where you need to copy all the stuff from ~/.kolmafia to.

anachronda

(If you have a USB stick lying around, I'm sure you can install a Lubuntu LiveCD onto it and dual-boot...)

Unfortunately I couldn't get that to work. I tried a lot of live distributions. At first none of them had a kernel capable of dealing with the video properly. A year or two later that got fixed, but none of the live distributions supported the wifi and they all used the open source nvidia driver which kept hanging. I finally managed to replace the drive, but when I tried to install Ubuntu the installer kept crashing. My travails therewith are complex, but off topic.

Back to the mafia thing - I realized how silly I was not to look at that more closely. The wiki made it sound like the directory structure laid down on the windows machine was different to what was in ~/.kolmafia .. looks like that's not the case. So the first answer is definitely the correct one. I did get it to work and that is awesome.