Bug - Waiting for Info KoLmafia showing erratic behaviour

Potato23

I've...just been having troubles using the program for a while ever since Windows botched an update and I had to roll back my computer. I get a few issues:

Hangs at logging in, usually at campground or closet
Automated scripts don't work after a few steps, my KGB script has failed miserably to the point where I learnt to do it by hand. Leaflet script gives up on looking for treasure.
Relay browser loads but is extremely unresponsive. Occasionally after maintaining moods none of the combat links work and I can only travel to different areas, not spend adventures. In this state somehow the mini browser is able to work.
Scripts like Guide don't update properly cause of all the things the relay browser is skipping
Battles get stuck a lot, usually end up in the "You're not in an adventure!" screen
Modifier maximizer gives up after a while, everything ends up greyed out. Gets stuck switching gear.

I'm very sure that the issue is something to do on my end but I just can't figure out what the issue is...I update KoLmafia regularly hoping the issue goes away but until it does...the program is basically too difficult to use and I don't know what to do. Using build 18271 at the moment, and I've tried JRE8 and now running the latest Java 9.01, updated. I've uploaded the debug logs printed from the last 4 days if it helps the troubleshooting. Connection should be fine, I can play the game just fine on its own website.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• DEBUG_20171125.txt
    90 KB · Views: 36
  • DEBUG_20171126.txt
    11.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DEBUG_20171127.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 33
  • DEBUG_20171128.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 39

Potato23

That phrase breaks my brain.

As far as your problem, I'd guess some file (like preferences) got corrupted. Have you tried a clean mafia install?

Mmhmm. Each time there's an update I put it in a new folder and let it recreate all the folders, just in case something goes wrong. I keep scripts updated with svn update, too. No luck so far.

It sounds to me like connection issues. How well does KoL play without using mafia?

Zero issues at all. No connection difficulty (past the very rare lag spike). Definitely not struggling to log in like mafia is. I'm using a wired connection, too. So I'm not dropping any packets across the connection as far as I know. I'm just using the website to play for now, but I've gotten too used to all that mafia offers x) Completely different game experience.

Edit: List of troubleshooting things I have attempted -

Fresh windows 10 install
Fresh mafia/script installs
Fresh Java installs
Rebooting before booting KoLmafia (works on rare occasion for a little bit)
Network issues (I bought a brand new powerline for a hundred bucks cause I thought the connection was wonky x_x)
Running mafia with no scripts (doesn't solve login failures)
Just leaving mafia alone through the lag phases (still looking at campground overnight, when I tried!)
Swapping default browsers (edge, firefox, chrome)
Disabling windows defender/firewall

I appreciate the suggestions very much and I'm almost certain the problem is on my end. I just can't fathom what it is :(

Last edited:

Crowther

This one really catches my eye. I'd run a memory test. Most computers have built in diagnostics you can select when you boot up. If not, I'd recommend memtest86.

goldenlumber

I seem to have a similar problem, and keep getting stuck on login. I usually get in by killing the process and retrying till it succeeds. Furthermore, scripts usually can't run as they get stuck. This problem seems to only happen at home, which leads me to believe its a network issue only for mafia. Anyone have any ideas on what router settings might be blocking java programs?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I was wondering if having a chat window that opened initially was contributing to a similar problem. Recently I opened the GCLI before logging in and just happened to notice that there was an IO exception, presumably because of a network issue. Perhaps you could try that? At least you could tell the last thing mafia tried or reported on...

Edit: List of troubleshooting things I have attempted -

Fresh windows 10 install
Fresh mafia/script installs
Fresh Java installs
Network issues (I bought a brand new powerline for a hundred bucks cause I thought the connection was wonky x_x)
Running mafia with no scripts (doesn't solve login failures)
Just leaving mafia alone through the lag phases (still looking at campground overnight, when I tried!)
Swapping default browsers (edge, firefox, chrome)
Disabling windows defender/firewall

I appreciate the suggestions very much and I'm almost certain the problem is on my end. I just can't fathom what it is :(

I have the same issue.

The symptoms
1. Stuck at login. Tends to be at the loading campground, quests, and storage
Frequency: 95% of the the logins

2. Scripts run halfway and starts to pause for about 2 minutes before continuing
Frequency: everytime a script runs

3. Relay browser lags. Upon clicking a button the page will not load the new page, but registers the click. E.g if I click tobuy an item, no message will appear that I bought it, but KOL's server will register that I have already bought it, and if I go to my inventory it will already be there.
Frequency: 10% of the the clicks

Possible solutions that I have tried to eliminate possible causes:
- Directly connect KOL (w/o kolmafia). Network connectivity issue is eliminated because no lag with direct connection
- Reinstalled Java on my macbook air 13'. Using Java 8 Update 161.
- Regularly use latest build. For now, using r18460
- Checked before adventure scripts, after adventure scripts, moods, and recovery scripts. I removed all of them - same issue. Even used fresh kolmafia, same issue.

Manual Workarounds:
To get rid of the long login time, I tend to leave kolmafia open all the time. If I press the "Refresh Status" button (bottom left of the kolmafia screen). The loading of quests, character etc, all happens super quickly. Less than 30seconds and it's done!
The downside to this is that the refresh does not work on daily deeds (and those that are dependent on rollover), I need to manually log out and reopen kolmafia again for kolmafia to register on their end that it is a new rollover and my daily deed buttons are refreshed. It would be great if someone knows how to force a daily deed refresh and refresh those that are dependent on rollover without having to re-login.

Last edited:
In terms of memory usage the bar at the top right, tends to hover around 90,000KB to 200,000KB. But at times, it would suddenly spike to 600,000 KB to 700,000 KB out of 1,864,192KB.

Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to reduce it's memory usage?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
In terms of memory usage the bar at the top right, tends to hover around 90,000KB to 200,000KB. But at times, it would suddenly spike to 600,000 KB to 700,000 KB out of 1,864,192KB.

Is this normal? Any suggestions on how to reduce it's memory usage?

Memory management is the kind of thing a dev worries about and usually only if there is a problem that allowing the system to "garbage collect" does not solve. So my knee jerk reaction is that, while it might not be "normal" it is easily explained by user activity. I seem to recall, for example, that some operations dealing with all Items or a loaded display case will spike observed usage. So the suggestion would be, "relax, don't worry about it". The reason devs ask is because if KoLmafia needs more memory than your system can provide that may introduce errors that are not expected and thus be responsible for anomalous behavior. The other factor is that there are coding choices that can make it so memory cannot be garbage collected. If that is happening it should be fixed by a dev and the usual symptom is that memory usage rises and falls but the "lows" tend to increase the longer mafia has been running.

Just an update on my situation, basically I realised my home's wifi network which I have been using Kolmafia on all this time could be the source of the problem.

For the first time, I started tethering my phone's 4G network and use it to play kolmafia, suddenly all the problems disappeared, I can login with ease, and the scripts run flawlessly without hanging at all.

This to me is very bizzare because while using my home's wifi apart from Kolmafia has lagging/hanging (be it stuck at login or running scripts and hanging midway), I never had any issue surfing the web, streaming videos, etc. So I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. Just putting what I observed here.

adwriter

The meat in my closet isn't showing up in Meat Manager. The meat is there, but showing up as '0'. And while transfers between closet and inventory works (and vice versa), it returns a Transfer failed for Meat Gained: xxx and Transfer failed for xxx meat.

Last edited:
I noticed that after turning on "forcibly timeout laggy requests" option, kolmafia still gets stuck, but after a few minutes, it manages to resume the script.

Is it possible to make it forcibly timeout laggy requests faster so that it takes less time?

Last edited: