Thread: KoLmafia showing erratic behaviour

Unhappy KoLmafia showing erratic behaviour

I've...just been having troubles using the program for a while ever since Windows botched an update and I had to roll back my computer. I get a few issues:

Hangs at logging in, usually at campground or closet
    Automated scripts don't work after a few steps, my KGB script has failed miserably to the point where I learnt to do it by hand. Leaflet script gives up on looking for treasure.
    Relay browser loads but is extremely unresponsive. Occasionally after maintaining moods none of the combat links work and I can only travel to different areas, not spend adventures. In this state somehow the mini browser is able to work.
    Scripts like Guide don't update properly cause of all the things the relay browser is skipping
    Battles get stuck a lot, usually end up in the "You're not in an adventure!" screen
    Modifier maximizer gives up after a while, everything ends up greyed out. Gets stuck switching gear.

I'm very sure that the issue is something to do on my end but I just can't figure out what the issue is...I update KoLmafia regularly hoping the issue goes away but until it does...the program is basically too difficult to use and I don't know what to do. Using build 18271 at the moment, and I've tried JRE8 and now running the latest Java 9.01, updated. I've uploaded the debug logs printed from the last 4 days if it helps the troubleshooting. Connection should be fine, I can play the game just fine on its own website.

Thanks for reading!
    Attached Files

extremely unresponsive
    Originally Posted by Potato23 View Post
    That phrase breaks my brain.

As far as your problem, I'd guess some file (like preferences) got corrupted. Have you tried a clean mafia install?

It sounds to me like connection issues. How well does KoL play without using mafia?

That phrase breaks my brain.

As far as your problem, I'd guess some file (like preferences) got corrupted. Have you tried a clean mafia install?
    Originally Posted by Crowther View Post
    Mmhmm. Each time there's an update I put it in a new folder and let it recreate all the folders, just in case something goes wrong. I keep scripts updated with svn update, too. No luck so far.

It sounds to me like connection issues. How well does KoL play without using mafia?
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    Zero issues at all. No connection difficulty (past the very rare lag spike). Definitely not struggling to log in like mafia is. I'm using a wired connection, too. So I'm not dropping any packets across the connection as far as I know. I'm just using the website to play for now, but I've gotten too used to all that mafia offers x) Completely different game experience.

Edit: List of troubleshooting things I have attempted -

Fresh windows 10 install
    Fresh mafia/script installs
    Fresh Java installs
    Rebooting before booting KoLmafia (works on rare occasion for a little bit)
    Network issues (I bought a brand new powerline for a hundred bucks cause I thought the connection was wonky x_x)
    Running mafia with no scripts (doesn't solve login failures)
    Just leaving mafia alone through the lag phases (still looking at campground overnight, when I tried!)
    Swapping default browsers (edge, firefox, chrome)
    Disabling windows defender/firewall

I appreciate the suggestions very much and I'm almost certain the problem is on my end. I just can't fathom what it is
    Last edited by Potato23; 12-01-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Rebooting before booting KoLmafia (works on rare occasion for a little bit)
    Originally Posted by Potato23 View Post
    This one really catches my eye. I'd run a memory test. Most computers have built in diagnostics you can select when you boot up. If not, I'd recommend memtest86.