Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KoLmafia Version Check via SourceForge disabled,

Yes. I haven't had access to said script since it was moved to kolmafia.us years ago. If I were in a cranky mood I might mention that this is exactly the sort of thing I warned might happen when people wanted it to be moved. Fortunately I'm feeling great and not the least bit cranky, particularly now that we seem to have solved everything.

I seem to recall adding code to the price update script that checks that the user-agent is KoLmafia. Some of my other mafia-interactive server-side scripts do that.
    Originally Posted by zarqon View Post
    How does that interact with people like me who tell KoLmafia to use a specific User Agent which is NOT "KoLmafia"? I added that feature - and use it - as a (paranoid) defense against KoL deciding to throttle requests, say, from KoLmafia.

I haven't look at my HTTP headers recently to verify it's actually still working.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Developer

heeheehee - what did you do to capture the packets? My tool caught a size difference but your display made it clear User Agent was the difference?
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I also used wireshark, but I looked at the HTTP stream, since it seemed to be an error on that level -- you had reported an actual HTTP status code (403), which indicated that it wasn't a TCP issue.

How does that interact with people like me who tell KoLmafia to use a specific User Agent which is NOT "KoLmafia"? I added that feature - and use it - as a (paranoid) defense against KoL deciding to throttle requests, say, from KoLmafia.

I haven't look at my HTTP headers recently to verify it's actually still working.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    My understanding is that it should work just fine if you're just using a browser useragent -- everyone who tested in a browser was unable to reproduce.

Here's a current copy of the script.
    Attached Files

Veracity, if memory serves (can't view the attachment on my phone at the moment), other user agents will get either an error message or an empty page. So simply removing the agent check should be fine and would avoid similar problems in the future. At the time it seemed an easy way to filter out unwanted access. I believe it predated the ability to specify user agent from within KoLmafia, and was never changed to accommodate that ability after the fact.

And having just looked at it (thanks Fewyn), there's no user-agent check at all. Sorry for the red herring.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: Prefref Plus | One-Click Wossname | Om******t (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer********d (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

Developer

Yeah. Not that it really matters, but I can reproduce in chrome by spoofing my user agent:

https://i.imgur.com/sIo66tW.png

Yeah. Not that it really matters, but I can reproduce in chrome by spoofing my user agent:

https://i.imgur.com/sIo66tW.png
    Originally Posted by heeheehee View Post
    Haven't had my coffee yet but doesn't that mean it is the kolmafia.us server that cares about the User Agent and not the price update script?
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Ooo... that might be Cloudflare (to stop bots and such)? Let me check some settings and I'll get back to you guys.

Developer

Ooo... that might be Cloudflare (to stop bots and such)? Let me check some settings and I'll get back to you guys.
    Originally Posted by fewyn View Post
    Yeah, that was my gut reaction too. Doesn't really matter, since we already have a mitigation in place.