Mafia requires oil pan for Elemental Saucesphere?

anachronda

I've been using mafia for awhile for some of my other characters. Recently I created a new Sauceror, and ran into a rather annoying error.

If I go to the skill casting page and try to cast Elemental Saucesphere (probably the others, too) I get the error:

"You are out of ronin and need a oil pan to cast that. Check item retrieval settings"

I thought maybe it was because my 5-alarm saucepan was equipped, so I bought a regular saucepan. No dice, I still get this error. I am able to cast the spell in the in-game chat interface as well as the gCli. Looking in the latter, I can also see that mafia is for some reason trying (and failing) to create an oil pan:

Code:
Verifying ingredients for oil pan (1)...
You need 11 more bubblin' crude to continue.
You are out of Ronin and need a oil pan to cast that. Check item retrieval settings.

BTW the skill casting page is also doing strange things. Even with autorecovery off, if I tell it to cast a spell more times than I have enough mana to cast, recovery items - most expensive first! - are used to get the mana needed to cast that.

I am currently using version 17.6 build 18210. I tried a later build and could not even log in (I would just get a message "requests complete" on the login dialog. I also tried moving ~/.kolmafia so a new directory was created, just to see if manye something got corrupted. That didn't change this behaviour. Any ideas?

xKiv

Get a better saucepan.

5-alarm is considered "too weak", it would cause you to spend too much MP, and thus do too many requests for MP restoration.
Oil pan is slightly better, and a one-time investment (2.5k meat?)
You could also get a saucepanic (15 turn buffs, 3k meat in the mall)
and eventually a frying brainpan from dreadsylvania (20 turn buffs, don't bother buying it).

anachronda

All of that is fine, but I do still question why the error is there. Incidentally, when I checked the settings as suggested, I saw that "pull items from storage as needed" (when out of ronin) was checked. Unchecking that, I could cast elemental saucesphere as required.

This character is completely new, so he can't really afford to buy stuff like that, anyhow.

*EDIT* I stand corrected on one thing. Looks like if I bought crude it would cost almost as much as you say, but some kind souls are selling oil pans in the mall for 300 meat.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This character is completely new, so he can't really afford to buy stuff like that, anyhow.

Inconveniencing you by making you get a better saucepan (a one-time cost) is considered better than inconveniencing Jick with more server hits that cost a little bit of money.

anachronda

Inconveniencing you by making you get a better saucepan (a one-time cost) is considered better than inconveniencing Jick with more server hits that cost a little bit of money.

Now *that* makes a load of sense. I definitely wouldn't want to cause more grief for Jick. Anyway thank you for the information.