Bug - Not A Bug loginScript - set Global rather than character pref

General_Herpes

When setting a loginScript for a character under Preferences -> Automation, the loginScript value is set under GLOBAL_prefs rather than [character]_pref. Other Automation options such as Pre-Adventure, Post-Adventure, and Recovery set the value under [character]_pref. I haven't tested any other Automation option.

If I set the LoginScript via CLI it puts it in [character]_pref. I've tested this with builds 18182 -> 18186 on the latest Linux Mint release.

-- EDIT --
Setting LoginScript via CLI does put this in [character]_pref but it doesn't actually do anything when logging in. So it doesn't actually work but it's interesting that it still writes to [character]_prefer with this approach. FYI - I removed the global LoginScript before testing this.

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If I set the LoginScript via CLI it puts it in [character]_pref. I've tested this with builds 18182 -> 18186 on the latest Linux Mint release.

If there's a bug, then this is it. It's specified as a global setting, so it should be impossible to save it as a character setting. I can't reproduce this though.

General_Herpes

Is there a reason this is a global setting rather than character setting?

You may be right on setting the value over CLI. I saw it added to my character_pref but it may not have actually worked.

Last edited:

General_Herpes

I think it makes more sense to put preference automation into global when defined prior to login. If defined during login, store the value in character pref.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think it makes more sense to put preference automation into global when defined prior to login. If defined during login, store the value in character pref.

A setting can only go in one or the other. Since it can be defined before login, I expect that's why it was made global.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
A setting can only go in one or the other. Since it can be defined before login, I expect that's why it was made global.

That is my recollection as well and the reason why it is unlikely to be changed. Perhaps allowing the user to think they are setting it via the gCLI is a bug but I'm not sure it is worth the effort to try and fix.

General_Herpes

Thanks for all the responses. Why is it this value can be set before login but not others. I don't understand the logic behind that.

-- EDIT --
I tested setting LoginScript through CLI again and I do still see it populating in [character]_pref rather than global_pref but it doesn't actually do anything. Using build v17.6 r18188. I removed LoginScript from global_pref before testing this.

Last edited:

Theraze

I suppose a question which may be obvious, but...
set loginScript = hermit;

loginScript => hermit;
So, when I set loginScript through the CLI, it doesn't say it's saving to character_pref. Where are you seeing that? We've had repeated comments about what you see, but not your CLI quotes to show us what you're typing or actually seeing.

If it's through non-native support such as through a script, then it's a script bug not a mafia bug.

Edit: Unless the issue is precisely the difference between your title and your comments. You're setting LoginScript in the CLI, which is not a mafia setting and so is legitimately a character preference, and the frame sets loginScript, which is the proper name of a global setting.

Capitalization matters.

Last edited:

General_Herpes

I was using set loginScript = scripts/foo.ash through the CLI

I tested it again on my Windows machine and it goes to global_pref on a new and older build. My previous testing was on linux. Hmm...I'll follow up on it next week.