Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: loginScript - set Global rather than character pref

Exclamation loginScript - set Global rather than character pref

When setting a loginScript for a character under Preferences -> Automation, the loginScript value is set under GLOBAL_prefs rather than [character]_pref. Other Automation options such as Pre-Adventure, Post-Adventure, and Recovery set the value under [character]_pref. I haven't tested any other Automation option.

If I set the LoginScript via CLI it puts it in [character]_pref. I've tested this with builds 18182 -> 18186 on the latest Linux Mint release.

-- EDIT --
    Setting LoginScript via CLI does put this in [character]_pref but it doesn't actually do anything when logging in. So it doesn't actually work but it's interesting that it still writes to [character]_prefer with this approach. FYI - I removed the global LoginScript before testing this.
    Last edited by General_Herpes; 08-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.

If I set the LoginScript via CLI it puts it in [character]_pref. I've tested this with builds 18182 -> 18186 on the latest Linux Mint release.
    Originally Posted by General_Herpes View Post
    If there's a bug, then this is it. It's specified as a global setting, so it should be impossible to save it as a character setting. I can't reproduce this though.

Is there a reason this is a global setting rather than character setting?

You may be right on setting the value over CLI. I saw it added to my character_pref but it may not have actually worked.
    Last edited by General_Herpes; 08-15-2017 at 09:51 PM.

I think it makes more sense to put preference automation into global when defined prior to login. If defined during login, store the value in character pref.

I think it makes more sense to put preference automation into global when defined prior to login. If defined during login, store the value in character pref.
    A setting can only go in one or the other. Since it can be defined before login, I expect that's why it was made global.

A setting can only go in one or the other. Since it can be defined before login, I expect that's why it was made global.
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    That is my recollection as well and the reason why it is unlikely to be changed. Perhaps allowing the user to think they are setting it via the gCLI is a bug but I'm not sure it is worth the effort to try and fix.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Perhaps allowing the user to think they are setting it via the gCLI is a bug but I'm not sure it is worth the effort to try and fix.
    Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    It is being set in the gCLI, but it's still a global setting.

It is being set in the gCLI, but it's still a global setting.
    It wasn't clear that the original comment described something that had not been reproduced. Never mind. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Thanks for all the responses. Why is it this value can be set before login but not others. I don't understand the logic behind that.

-- EDIT --
    I tested setting LoginScript through CLI again and I do still see it populating in [character]_pref rather than global_pref but it doesn't actually do anything. Using build v17.6 r18188. I removed LoginScript from global_pref before testing this.
    Last edited by General_Herpes; 08-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.

I suspect it can be set before login so that it happens on, you know, login