Currencies

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This script is intended to help folks who have non-meat currencies and want to buy something with them and then sell it for meat.

In the image below, we are looking at BACON. The columns are Item, which is the Item that can be purchased and then sold, Price, which is the Mall Price, Volume which is the quantity of that Item sold over the last week according to ColdFront, the Currency used (in case the display is not filtered) and finally Meat per Currency, the value in meat of one of the Currency.

Capture.PNG

In this image it is clear that if you have BACON you are better off purchasing the internet point, viral video and meme generator with meat. If you can afford it, you will get the most meat for your BACON by buying the First Post shirt package, but since none were sold in the past week, plus one or a gallon of milk are more likely candidates for income.

The script reads coinmasters.txt (thanks to assistance from veracity) and process everything it can. Things that are available from a Coinmaster but cannot be bought and sold in the Mall will not be listed. The script then reads a list of items, "currencies" and cost in that currency. This can be user edited if desirable. The distributed version of CUR_Aux.txt includes skeletons as a currency, even though they are not a Coinmaster because the "bang for the buck" calculation is similar. It also includes two tradeable "day pass" items because they can be obtained by using an untradeable item.

The work is done by two scripts. Currencies.ash builds the data file CUR.txt. That will be of interest to people who don't like my primitive HTML skills or wish to take some automated action based on the data. relay_Currencies.ash displays the file in the relay browser. The user can pick a single currency, press "refresh" and see only that currency displayed.

It is currently in svn. Use the following to command to fetch it.

Code:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/kolmafiascripts/currencies/code

If there is interest I will make a file for Bale and petition that it be added to the KoLmafia SVN Scripts but that will be a future task.

The easiest way to use this is to check it out and then use the menu in the relay browser to start it.

Issues and Potential Future Work
  • The first run in a session takes a notable amount of time. Reducing that should be explored.
  • Filtering based upon which Coinmasters are actually available to the player would probably be helpful.
  • A tabular display that allowed for filtering and sorting would be much better.
  • Consider extending to items such as BRICKOS where the exchange actually involves two or more "currencies"
  • Add htmlform as a dependency

Because it is using mall prices I am unlikely to extend this to actually automate the exchange. I don't need complaints when the fifth lowest price is 10,000 but the lowest price is 1,000 and someone burned through their filthy lucre.

I tested the SVN install but one test doesn't mean it really behaves as expected :)