Bug - Fixed nomenclature messages for Miniature Sword & Martini Guy

AlbinoRhino

This is relatively minor and possibly not even worth fixing but I thought I would document it here anyway.

In the cli:

ash $familiar[miniat]

Mafia's response: Changing "miniat" to "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" would get rid of this message. ()
+ the proxy information.

In the cli:

ash $familiar[Miniature Sword & Martini Guy]

Mafia's response: Bad familiar value: "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" ()
Returned: void

In the cli:

ash $familiar[Miniature Sword & Martini Guy]

Mafia's response: Changing "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" to "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" would get rid of this message. ()
+ the proxy information

(I guess it does "get rid of this message"...by not recognizing the familiar name! lol)

Last edited:

Pazleysox

Mafia doesn't recognize Martini familiar in script

Mafia doesn't recognize the familiar name "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" in a script. I've had it confirmed, and reproduced by 2 others. I've tried multiple ways of putting the familiar name into my script, but putting anything beyond the "&" in "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy", causes the script to return "unknown familiar ...", but if I leave everything blank, or use "&" Mafia returns the following:

Changing "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" to "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" would get rid of this message.

I'm using Mafia 17.6 r(18189)

zarqon

Miniature sword & martini problem

> ash to_familiar(to_string($familiar[miniature sword & martini guy]))

Changing "miniature sword & martini guy" to "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy" would get rid of this message. (zlib.ash)
Returned: none

This reveals two problems:

1) There is no obvious way to specify this familiar in a script without generating the above message. Using an actual ampersand results in a "Bad familiar value" message, whereas using the HTML entity results in the message.

b) If you convert it to a string, the resultant string is not recognized as a familiar. I found this because when I set my is_100_run Zlib setting in the CLI to "miniature", ZLib normalized it to "Miniature Sword & Martini Guy", then when I ran the script again, ZLib re-normalized it to "none".

EDIT: I have found that the first part of this report is a duplicate. The latter part/consequence has not yet been reported though and is slightly less minor as it actually messed up my 100% run.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bumping. I poked around and discovered that we are storing "canonical" names for familiars but not for items, effects, etc.
That means that even though the "&" is a single character in the familiar name as presented by KoL, we store the character entity.

We don't have that issue for items - "black & tan" works fine.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm going to merge this into the other thread, since fixing FamiliarDatabase correctly will resolve all the ASH issues. I will test it all.

zarqon

We miss you, Darzil. :(

Yes we do! :( As an American living abroad, there's a lot of turnover in the foreigner/expat/immigrant communities, so every year I am accustomed to losing a batch of friends as their time in the country draws to a close. This is going to be a particularly bad year for me, as I'll be losing some of the mainstays of my time here. Darzil and Bale and others who I'd consider online friends here have hit me similarly in this community despite being online and primarily project-focused. Wherever they are, I hope they are doing well.

Also I just noticed this and it deserves recognition. :D