New You 2.0 (New New You?)

coandco

Given that the author of the NewYou quest script seems to have gone MIA, I've forked the script and made several updates to it. Here's the command to check out my version of the script:

Code:
svn checkout https://github.com/coandco/mafia-NewYou/trunk/

The major change I made to the script was to add the option to use BatBrain to handle olfacting the correct monster and using the required skill. As such, if you want to run the script with "useBatBrain" set to true, the script now requires a BatBrain-aware CCS to work -- I recommend WHAM.ash.

I also made the script parse the quest log, rather than looking for the most recent eudora kmail. This increases its reliability a bit.

Changelog:
7/7/2017
9df99e3 Add conditionals for Ninja Snowmen and The Icy Peak.

6/27/2017
b5cb650 Fixed repo validation.
bf9cf3a Re-add old code so NewYou doesn't have to depend on BatBrain.

6/25/2017
2815ea6 Add the ability to specify a maximum number of saws you wish to sharpen.
a27c9a6 Rename global variables to include-friendly names.
f63035c Switch to use the BatBrain method for handling olfaction and skills.
80aadab Remove unused CCS function.
68c8103 Rename global variables to better (searchable) convention.
8660901 Manually use Olfaction first when fighting NewYou monsters.
25c6248 Add "the" to the list of allowed articles for correspondence matching.
00673b6 Initial code commit, cloned from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/digitrev/code/NewYou

Last edited:

coandco

Oh, and you'll need to remove digitrev's version first before using mine:
Code:
svn delete digitrev-NewYou

coandco

There's currently a bug that prevents NewYou from detecting when it's finished. I'm attempting to work with zarqon to figure out what's going wrong.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What are the chances that the BatBrain dependency will be removed when KoLmafia supports the tracking?

(The last time I used SmartStasis/WHAM with the character most likely to use this script, I was getting way too many 29 round combats followed by a one shot kill. I am sure that made sense in the KoL economy but it tripled my wall clock run time and I am willing to give up the in KoL benefits to recover that time. If you are not likely to remove the dependency then I'll either suck it up and figure out how to tune SS/WHAM or just maintain a local copy. Thanks.)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
What are the chances that the BatBrain dependency will be removed when KoLmafia supports the tracking?

I suppose that depends on when someone is going to add support to KoLmafia. It won't be me, since this is a quest that I actively never want to do again (since I very much don't want the title that would eventually result).

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Is it a fixed title? Or is it random crap?

I got the skill and stopped spending time doing this quest since I have all of the custom titles I want.

coandco

(The last time I used SmartStasis/WHAM with the character most likely to use this script, I was getting way too many 29 round combats followed by a one shot kill. I am sure that made sense in the KoL economy but it tripled my wall clock run time and I am willing to give up the in KoL benefits to recover that time. If you are not likely to remove the dependency then I'll either suck it up and figure out how to tune SS/WHAM or just maintain a local copy. Thanks.)

Fair enough. When I get some time, I'll look into having BatBrain-dependent and standalone options side-by-side.

Last edited:

coandco

Also, according to zarqon, the bug that was preventing BatBrain from detecting the quest end has been fixed as of BatBrain r107. Thanks zarqon!

Crowther

The last time I used SmartStasis/WHAM with the character most likely to use this script, I was getting way too many 29 round combats followed by a one shot kill. I am sure that made sense in the KoL economy but it tripled my wall clock run time and I am willing to give up the in KoL benefits to recover that time.

Wrong thread, I know, but this is exactly why WHAM_roundcost_ronin and WHAM_roundcost_aftercore were added. You simply let WHAM know how much meat you are willing to forgo to save a round and your combats can go much faster.

xKiv

Is it a fixed title? Or is it random crap?

I got the skill and stopped spending time doing this quest since I have all of the custom titles I want.

AIUI, random crap every 30 points (as in, the more points you have, the more titles you get - but I stopped at the first one).
All the ones I have seen look like standard "proceduraly generated" stuff, just like the eudora kmails themselves.

coandco

I've now pushed out an update that re-introduces the old non-BatBrain code. Now, when you run the script, it asks you if you want to use BatBrain or not, and chooses the appropriate run method based on that.

coandco

One definite downside to the BatBrain method: if there's another monster in the zone that BatBrain thinks should be olfacted and you encounter it first, that's what you're getting. In my case, I was adventuring in the Pandamonium Slums to find a G Imp, but BatBrain decided to olfact the Hellion I came across.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I've now pushed out an update that re-introduces the old non-BatBrain code. Now, when you run the script, it asks you if you want to use BatBrain or not, and chooses the appropriate run method based on that.

Works. Thank you. Now I just need to set up an alias/wrapper so I don't get asked :)

zarqon

One definite downside to the BatBrain method: if there's another monster in the zone that you have configured BatBrain to attract in your BatMan_attract setting and you encounter it first, that's what you're getting. In my case, I was adventuring in the Pandamonium Slums to find a G Imp, but BatBrain behaved as I had configured it to behave to olfact the Hellion I came across.

Fixed your post for you! :p

coandco

Fixed your post for you! :p

Fair enough. Would it be a reasonable course of action to have NewYou.ash temporarily set the BatMan_attract setting to null for the duration of the script, since we don't want any other olfacts overriding ours? I didn't mean to imply that the fault was with BatBrain.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Fair enough. Would it be a reasonable course of action to have NewYou.ash temporarily set the BatMan_attract setting to null for the duration of the script, since we don't want any other olfacts overriding ours? I didn't mean to imply that the fault was with BatBrain.

Actually under the circumstances my recommendation, as a systems integrator, would be to have NewYou save the BatBrain setting, replace it with NewYou olfaction setting and then NewYou restores BatBrain whenever NewYou exits. Doing this right is hard because NewYou has to restore after exits and aborts.

In general the world is a better place if user parameters I have set for any other script but NewYou remain unchanged after running NewYou.

This might be a reason to revert the Use BatBrain option, but we are dealing with my opinion which is not always as right as I think it is.

I don't have a dog in this fight since the character using NewYou isn't using batBrain and everyone else isn't using NewYou.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Did not recognize Ninja Snowman as a valid monster today.

You should focus on priority prioritizing today. Cast Weapon of the Pastalord, once per fight, against a Ninja Snowman 8 times (look in Lair of the Ninja Snowmen).

Using BatBrain, or not, made no difference.

Curiously when I did it manually there were monsters identified as "a Ninja Snowman" in the relay browser that were attacked with Weapon of the Pastalord but did not advance the saw counter, according to KoL.

The KoLmafia encyclopedia lists

• Ninja Snowman (Mask)
  • Ninja Snowman (Hilt)
  • Ninja Snowman (Chopsticks)
  • Ninja Snowman Janitor
  • Ninja Snowman Weaponmaster
  • ninja snowman assassin

with different monster IDs.

I'd guess the "Ninja Snowman" of the task is only one of the first three and what confused me in the relay browser was no obvious way to tell them apart.

I'd be OK if New You 2.0 just adventured in the area until the saw was sharp and olfacted nothing, but that might be suboptimal or wrong for other folks.