Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Thread: The latest Daily Build

I guess I'll address this here.

5MB is tiny. 10MB is.. also tiny. Going from the size of 1 .mp3 to 2 .mp3s does not bother me as a user in the slightest.

From a programmer's perspective, yes, I wish I could pare down the size of pulling in the svnkit library. It's possible that I may do so in the future. If I'm not able to, I will lose exactly zero sleep over it. I consider this feature easily important enough to justify increasing the .jar by that much or more.

If you're curious, half of the size comes from precompiled libraries - one to allow java to run native code, one to allow java to interface with SQL databases, one to handle SSH, etc. Altogether I refute the claim, though, that mafia only uses a "fraction" of what svnkit provides - just svn update is probably capable of accessing 25-30% of the codebase alone, maybe more. It doesn't normally, sure, but people can do a lot of advanced things to their working copies and svn needs to be able to handle all of those things. I am happily already using the feature of it merging my local modifications into repo updates, for example. I think it is fantastic that I do not need to write any additional code to support this or any of the more esoteric svn features; they just work.

Not looking to start a flamewar or anything but I'm really just curious: I love the functionality this provides, though why did you choose SVN for this over other (and some more modern) version control systems?

We all understand SVN; KoLmafia's sources itself are maintained with that VCS.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

though why did you choose SVN for this over other (and some more modern) version control systems?
    Originally Posted by bsander View Post
    Few reasons actually:

- We use it for mafia's source, like V said, so people are used to it
    - Centralized VC makes the most sense for this distribution model (one script -> many people)
    - I've used git on other projects and more-or-less despise it. That's a bit too strong of a word but it was unintuitive to me for a long time.
    - "Newer" also means that the available Java libraries for it are less mature. Or too low-level, alternately. Example. This is a big deal - I was not interested in spending loads of development time figuring out how to do basic high-level tasks.

There's some other bullet points I could add, but they all condense down to: I looked at the options available, and discarded all of them except svnkit. That includes the other svn solutions as well.

Altogether I refute the claim, though, that mafia only uses a "fraction" of what svnkit provides - just svn update is probably capable of accessing 25-30% of the codebase alone, maybe more.
    Originally Posted by roippi View Post
    1/4 is also a fraction! So is 1/1. And 2/1.

Yeah...sorry if I sounded whiny or something, because that wasn't my intent. If it was suddenly 100MB, on my crappy connection that'd be pretty annoying; but an extra 5 to have an extremely useful feature isn't a problem. Heck, I already posted a script that uses it. It's just that I'd probably lose my mind if I had to write hundreds of thousands of lines to do something that intuitively seems simple (though apparently it isn't simple). Which, of course, is why you stuck the existing java code for SVN in there instead of writing or modifying it yourself; I'd have done the same thing.

Few reasons actually:
    - Centralized VC makes the most sense for this distribution model (one script -> many people)
    Originally Posted by roippi View Post
    I understand most of your points though I'm not sure I agree with that one. Sure a central repo is preferred for updating users, but I could imagine the whole forking and sharing system of a distributed VCS could make it easier for others to contribute to a script. Oh well.

Another slightly related question: I used to have some kind of structure going on within my scripts/ path and that's kinda getting messed up since all scripts that use the svn stuff just put themselves in the script root. Is there any way I can specify a prefix or something to check them out (while not touching any other things they do in relay/ or data/ for instance)?

There are plans to introduce a way to handle the scripts-menu much like the bookmarks in say Firefox, but that is a very mature feature and will come when the rest is finished. See further the SVN-discusson thread.
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit
    Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Scripts maintained by me:
    Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:
    Wife: Honey, please go to the market and buy 1 bottle of milk. If they have eggs, bring 6.
    The man came back with 6 bottles of milk.
    Wife: Why did you buy 6 bottles of milk.
    Man: Because they had eggs...

The 6 Stages of Debugging: 1 )That can't happen. 2) That shouldn't happen. 3) Hmmm, weird. 4) Why does that happen? 5) Oh, I see. 6 )How did that ever work?

All programs can be optimized, and all programs have bugs; therefore all programs can be optimized to one line that doesn’t work. /Bob Fitch, Blizzard

Not looking to start a flamewar or anything but I'm really just curious: I love the functionality this provides, though why did you choose SVN for this over other (and some more modern) version control systems?
    Originally Posted by bsander View Post
    I meant to reply several days ago but couldn't find this post.

About a year ago there was a discussion about version control for scripts. At that time I suggested SVN because it was a tool I had used as a developer, a tool I had administered as a configuration manager and SVNKit existed which meant that integrating SVN into mafia might be easier than other approaches such as wrapping a command line tool that accessed something else.

So, given that various people have different perspectives on history and their own place in it, I focused on SVN because it was the tool I knew best. That said, I did not implement anything at the time and roippi continued with SVN for reasons already stated.

So blame SVN on me ;-)
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards