Bug - Cannot Reproduce Mafia runs slower over the last ~1 week

Running r18059 and a variety of previous revisions, my copy of Mafia has become much slower at running turns over the last week or so. It's most pronounced during combat - with a notable delay (maybe half a second) between each round - but I don't think the issue is combat-specific, just that it's more noticeable then, since there are multiple client-server interactions with no user interruption. Even things like skill-casting or inventory manipulation seem to be significantly slower than before. Switching from a combat script to a simple Custom Combat suite (eg. 1. attack) doesn't make much of a difference (assuming that the fight still takes the same number of rounds). I also tried disabling my pre-adventure and post-adventure scripts, but no luck there, either.

The issue does not seem to occur when playing outside of Mafia. I replicated my same simple combat strategy as a Combat Macro, and it runs eg. 10 rounds in <1 second, where Mafia might take ~5 seconds to do the same thing.

Is there a good way to debug what Mafia is taking so long to process? Debug logs don't seem to provide enough granularity of timestamping.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Finding the build where it suddenly got slower would probably be helpful. That probably requires trying lots of builds until you get two consecutive ones where it changes.

Well, that's weird(er).

I jumped back about 50 revisions, and started binary-searching my way forward. Made it all the way back to 18058, then 18059 (ie. current), and the problem has fixed itself.

So, whatever was going wrong, apparently it was fixed by running one of the earlier versions. Which doesn't seem to make much sense. But I guess I shouldn't look a gift bugfix in the <body part>.

Thanks for the good suggestion!

Last edited:

Boesbert

Based on my moaning to slaw about this, I first experienced this on or slightly before May 23rd. I keep my builds very current (at the very least daily).

This was in conjunction with having run cc_ascend the last part of an ascension of mine.