Bug - Waiting for Info Not updating EasyFax list

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
You probably would want to restart Mafia.

I saw the JCE unlimited strength link, but I hesitate to recommend that as the solution to "Mafia doesn't work with sourceforge". Ideally we'd be able to make some sort of code change that transparently solves this issue for the end users.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
That does work.

It's a shame that sourceforge insists on using non-exportable security.

Well, the shame is that the US cracked down on the export of crypto back in the 90s. And that Sun (and later Oracle) never bothered to update their code to take into account the relaxation of the relevant laws.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I saw the JCE unlimited strength link, but I hesitate to recommend that as the solution to "Mafia doesn't work with sourceforge". Ideally we'd be able to make some sort of code change that transparently solves this issue for the end users.
I agree that if we cannot make a change to our code, pointing to that link and claiming this is "Fixed" is wrong.

In the best of all worlds, Oracle would fix it - although users with older Java versions would still not be able to fetch Easyfax's configuration.

Just as good for this situation - and more plausible - would be for sourceforge to allow fetching files via SVN via weaker crypto.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Well... in this case, we're technically not fetching the file via svn; we're fetching a file through Sourceforge's web view of a svn repository.

Speaking of which, nobody's reported errors with svn, right? SSL Labs suggests that svn.code.sf.net allows for 128-bit cipher suites. This may or may not change in the future, though...

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=svn.code.sf.net

Temporary hotfix may be to change faxbot.txt to specify https://svn.code.sf.net/p/easyfax/code/Easyfax.xml.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I submitted a trouble ticket with Sourceforge. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say.
I will try out your suggestion, although I already installed the relaxed security files. ;)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I deleted the old saved config file and KoLmafia successfully fetched the file from the URL you suggested.
Hopefully that will fix this issue for now without requiring KoLmafia users needing to do anything.
Revision 18024

xKiv

Well, the shame is that the US cracked down on the export of crypto back in the 90s. And that Sun (and later Oracle) never bothered to update their code to take into account the relaxation of the relevant laws.

IIRC, they can't, because there are like four countries left in the export ban, and a normal "international" product must be legal for all countries, or something like that?
BIANAL.