Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpen Your Saw & Become a New You

Default Sharpen Your Saw & Become a New You

Want to become a better and Newer You? Want to do without any thought whatsoever? Then try NewYou.ash, and watch your saw sharpen itself. Just install the following package.
    Code:
    svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/digitrev/code/NewYou
    Then, call it from the CLI with
    Code:
    NewYou
    or pick it from the Script dropdown menu.

Self-help gibberish aside, this will:
    • check to see if you have the appropriate Eudora set
    • parse out your most recent correspondence into:
      • which skill to cast
      • against which monster
      • how many times
      • in which location
    • try to Olfact the monster of interest (uneffecting On the Trail if necessary)
    • fight an appropriate number of monsters, casting the appropriate skill before running your usual combat script

Please let me know if there are any problems.

As advised by bmaher & others, I will investigate what to do if the monster cannot be parsed out uniquely. I have added code to abort if a monster cannot be found, but until I get a good testing opportunity, there's not much I can do.

Code:
            if (my_inebriety() >= inebriety_limit())
    I believe that should just be greater than.

EDIT:

After than change it ran fairly well. There was a harmless error message at each non-combat. I see you tried to use adventure() and opted to directly hit the URL. Hopefully that can be fixed, because none of my between battle type stuff worked. Still, I was very happy not to have to do this manually.
    Last edited by Crowther; 05-08-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Should try to fire between battle stuff and properly check inebriety. Can you send me the error you got after non-combats? I'll see what I can do about those.

Can you send me the error you got after non-combats? I'll see what I can do about those.
    Originally Posted by digitrev View Post
    Drat, that didn't get saved into my session log. It was something like "You don't have a skill called 1 clobber". Looking at your code, I think this is because you test for a choice adventure and this non-combat had no choice, so use_skill() was called outside of combat.

Updated to check for Combat & not choice.php.

Thanks for creating this time saver. Would it be feasible to check for banishers and then use them against unwanted monsters in the zone?

I haven't seen it myself, but there is another corner case. If you cast a skill that doesn't advance the round, it doesn't sharpen your saw. Saucy salve for example. It looks like that could cause this script to spend all your turns without sharpening, so like any new script keep an eye on it.

Any chance you could add functionality to have it end combat by itself? I usually just set a combat macro to autoattack in kol, and have my ccs in mafia set to abort in case I have forgotten to do the previous, or if something fails at some point :P I could switch ccs for this script, but more automation is better >_>