Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Spacegate access badge

Please make it known to the other devs that there may be a bug in the current coordinate system that precludes exotic plants and animals. We probably don't want to mess with the coordinates again, but perhaps CDM could make the animal and plant encounters exotic 10% of the time?

Code:
    --------------------
    9426	complex alien zoological sample	537135662	dna.gif	none	d	25
    # Item complex alien zoological sample: Worth 10 pages of Spacegate Research
    --------------------

April 14
    Would you believe there was ANOTHER power supply at the Spacegate Facility? Sorry. This one was Jick's fault.
    That probably restores the missing enemies.

Yea! Except for the re-spading needed to find desirable planets for various of the quests.
    But getting anomalous/exotic plants and animals again will make it all worth it, IMO.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Revision 17995 parses the Spacegate Terminal when you visit and saves settings recording the details of your current plant.

I used Smelltastic's settings - and started with his regexps, although I tweaked/improved them (to my eye).

Code:
    user	_spacegateAnimalLife
    user	_spacegateCoordinates
    user	_spacegateHazards
    user	_spacegateIntelligentLife
    user	_spacegateMurderbot	false
    user	_spacegatePlanetName
    user	_spacegatePlantLife
    user	_spacegateRuins	false
    user	_spacegateSpant	false
    user	_spacegateTurnsLeft	0
    When you dial a planet, it also records the settings to your session log.
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Revision 17998 adds _spacegatePlanetIndex - number from 0-25 - which is used in the scale formulas for Spacegate monsters.

We are close to finishing this, I think. There seem to get a number of primitive alien trade goods which we don't have yet.

I've been pondering the ongoing spading.

- A planet with alien ruins has one of 9 choice adventures: 3 each for 3 languages
    - A planet with Spants has either the noncombat (eggs), drones, or drones+soldiers
    - A planet with Murderbots has either the noncombat (data cores), drones, or drones+soldiers
    - A planet with peaceful aliens always offers the same trade good - and the spreadsheet gives multiple prices for the same good
    - A planet can have hostile aliens
    - A planet can have no, simple, complex, or anomalous animals
    - A planet can have no, simple, complex, or anomalous plants
    - A planet can have environmental hazards

I noticed that when I went to a particular planet with anomalous plants, I always got the same image. Yet, there are 3 different images possible.

If this is true of all life forms:

simple animals and plants - 20 images each
    complex animals and plants - 10 images each
    exotic animals and plants - 3 images each
    hostile aliens (sgalienb) - 10 images
    - and peaceful aliens (sgaliena) - 10 images

(are there pseudo-monsters, with image cycles, for non-hostile animals and plants?)

In any case, if it is true that a given planet always has the same image for plants, animals, aliens - and different planets have different images - this says that the number of bits to record animals, for example, is more than [0-3] = none, simple, complex, exotic; [1] = peaceful, hostile, since the TYPE (i.e. image) is also saved.

I wonder if each trade good (X kinds) has a different price depending which of the 10 peaceful aliens sells it.

The spreadsheet is not saving enough information; it is not saving the image file name of animals, plants, and aliens.
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

7 letters. That is 8,031,810,176 different planets. That's a little less than 33 bits worth of information.

The first determines the difficulty.
    - How monsters scale
    - Higher difficulty = more hazards

A-E = 1 environmental
    F-I = 1 environmental, 1 elemental
    J-O = 2 environmental, 1 elemental
    P-S = 2 environmental, 2 elemental
    T-Z = 3 environmental, 2 elemental
    Z = 3 environmental, 3 elemental

Setting aside the first letter, which does not, by itself, provide any bits to determine what is on the planet (I posit), 6 letters provides 308,915,776. That's about 28.5 bits of information.

Environmental hazards: 5 bits (of which 1-3 willl be set)
    Elemental Hazards: 5 bits (of which 1-3 will be set)
    plants: none, simple, complex, anomalous = 2 bits; peaceful/hostile = 1 bit; image (1-20) = 5 bits
    animals: none, simple, complex, anomalous = 2 bits; peaceful/hostile = 1 bit; image (1-20) = 5 bits
    aliens: no, yes = 1 bit; peaceful/hostile = 1 bit; image (1-10) = 4 bits; trade good (1-8?) = 3 bits
    spants: no, yes = 1 bit; nc/combat = 1 bit
    murderbots: no, yes = 1 bit; nc/combat = 1 bit
    ruins: no,yes = 1 bit; which one of 9 possible = 4 bits

There is obviously more information than available bits. I expect that some things - like monster images - are simply derived via "mod", say, rather than being a bit field. The price modifier for trade goods likely has some such factor, as well. Heck, the particular trade good could be, as well - especially if there are 9 of them (items 9432-9440). Perhaps 9440 is a spant egg or something. Ditto for the ruins; there are 9, which cries out "mod" rather than "bit field".

I expect it will be quite a while before we know how to decode a set of coordinates and predict exactly what will be there. And then, the more interesting (or useful, at least) calculation of taking a set of planet parameters and generating coordinates to find such a planet.
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

It is possible to not get any spant/murdebot related combats or non-combats on planets where the signals and/or signatures are detected, even if you go to the same planet repeatedly. The RNG is definitely at play to some extent, regarding them.

Sure. But a particular planet with spants or murderbots will be either all combat or all non-combat - and that is procedurally generated from the coordinates; if you find spant soldiers or drones, you will never see Here there be no Spants, or vice versa.

How many of which combat or non-combat a planet has is affected by the RNG. That's a whole different axis of spading.

Personally, I'd like to be able to say "I want hostile exotic plants, hostile exotic animals, peaceful aliens selling X for Y, and Space Pirate Ruin #3", for example.

hostile exotic plants
    hostile exotic animals
    peaceful aliens
    alien ruins

- are all, probably, bit fields.

Space Pirate Choice #3, the trade good and its price are probably modulos of the configuration bits and therefore might not necessarily be possible, given other specified things.

And the hazards are likely not to be bitfields per se. Instead, a particular difficulty will have:

(5 take 1) = 5 environmental hazards
    (5 take 2) = 10 possible pairs of environmental hazards
    (5 take 3) = 10 possible triples of environmental hazards

depending on planet difficulty, and

0 elemental hazards
    (5 take 1) = 5 elemental hazards
    (5 take 2) = 10 possible pairs of elemental hazards
    (5 take 3) = 10 possible triples of elemental hazards

which are likely modulos of configuration bits. Which is to say, which set of 2 elemental hazards - cold + hot, cold + sleaze, etc. - is determined by a (mod 10) somewhere.

But who knows what, exactly, Jick did. I am confident we will be able to reverse engineer it, eventually.
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.