A request for additional topmenu links in Relay Browser

Cams

Basically this is me asking (begging) that you skilled folks out there would write an override script or downright modify the Relay Browser itself so that a number of additional links to several locations would appear in the topmenu. Mr. Script (a Greasemonkey script) had this feature. It allowed the user to create custom links in the topmenu. However, ever since I upgraded to Firefox 3.5, Greasemonkey or its scripts have caused constant freezes (all updated to the latest shiniest version).

I was wondering if similar customizability could be achieved with Mafia. An override script seems like a logical choice since the file can be easily edited. This would allow the user to add his own links. I personally loved having direct links to Bountyhunter, Wrongside, Rightside, Hagnk's, DC, multiuse, mallsearch, storemanage... just to name a few.

Especially the direct links to Wrong and Right Side of the Tracks cut down the unnecessary steps in navigating. Oh... also, the split Inventory link was awesome, you could directly access different sections of inventory just by clicking the correct part of the 'inventory' link in topmenu: 'inv' for consumables, 'ent' for equipment and 'ory' for misc.

Mr. Script also featured two pages for these custom links, possibly to avoid bloated topmenu. It added a link titled 'more' and clicking it opened the second set of custom links. It was sort of a switch been set 1 and set 2. If this can be done, then why not add a few (theoretically infinite) more sets, so that clicking 'more' would cycle through them.

Here's an old screenshot (from the era when things worked out for me) to illustrate the idea: http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4366/customlinks.gif

wrong = town_wrong.php
right = town_right.php
annoy = canadia.php?place=machine

and so on. So... please? :)

Cams

Err... off-topic, really. But here goes...

New profile, Firefox uninstall, reinstall and retinkering everything from scratch... you name it, I've done it. Firefox just stops responding and as far as I can pinpoint this it's the latest version of Greasemonkey (0.8.20090123.1). January 2009, I assume. I've tried it before with the previous version of FF, had the same issue back then, immediately switched back to earlier version of GM and the problem went away. In fact, it's enough just to have the latest GM installed and turned on without any scripts installed, and FF will stop responding within an hour. Turn GM off, and no freezes in several hours. Easy math. And naturally, the only version of GM that's compatible with FF 3.5 is that p.o.s. January release <.<

Now... what was it I was saying... ah yes, custom links to Relay Browser. Or Firefox 3.5 gets it. *holds gun to FF 3.5's head*

Spiny

Hi Cams,

Just a note, Mr. Script still works for me with firefox 3.0.10. My Mr. Script topbar offers choices as this image shows: http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k392/krazieddagger/KoL/mrscripttop.png The link to the fruit stand got cut off in my screen shot .... only the bottom 2 lines of links shift when you click more.

However, I'm aware that on the account page, there's an option to change/add custom links which may be where your right and wrong side of tracks options came from.

As for the Inv Ent Ory... that may actually be from Zarqon's topmenu.ash script. I haven't used it so I am not certain, but that may be it.

I am not a coder, so I can't help you directly I'm afraid. Oh, I AM using that version of greasemonkey you posted.

-Spiny

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If you want to use an old version of addons, go to about:config and set extensions.checkCompatibility to false (you may have to create this boolean).

Cams

I take back what I said about GM rendering FF unresponsive. I blame... idk what to blame anymore. All I know is that things actually worked (didn't freeze) before I installed FF 3.5 and the latest GM. As for Mr. Script, it was last updated around Oct 2008, which makes it the oldest of the three (FF, GM and Mr. Script). Someone needs to apprehend that Lukifer guy and force him to keep working on Mr. Script. It's too good script to lose. It's a drug, really.

@lostcalpolydude
Awesome. I will look into that.

EDIT: Well... I managed to install older version of GM on FF 3.5 and whaddya know, I got through an entire day with no freezes. There really is something with the latest GM and my system that just don't mix. However, I still think custom topmenu links in Relay Browser should be an option in Mafia :D

Last edited: