Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Revamping the KoLmafia Toolbar

Default Revamping the KoLmafia Toolbar

I really want a Synthesize Candy button on the mafia toolbar. I'm calling it up all the time, but I don't want to have to add it as one of my default tabs either. I think it's a great candidate for the toolbar so it will always be within easy one click access like the coinmaster.

However there are already many other buttons. I think it's time to reconsider which buttons belong on the main mafia interface's toolbar. Some of those are never used by me and I suspect never used by anyone else.

There are two approaches. We could make the toolbar user configurable. If a dev actually wants to do that... awesome! Otherwise let's consider the current buttons...

Buttons that need to remain are Browser, gCLI and Preferences. Everything else is optional.

Buttons of dubious use: Council, Clan, Mushrooms, Radio KoL and Alamanc. Do people use them? At least the Almanac has value, but I've bookmarked this calendar and use it exclusively.

I'm also curious how many people use mafia mail and the buff frame. I never do, but perhaps someone else's experience is different? The familiar trainer is useful, but I use it so rarely that it seems a waste to have a toolbar button instead of just being in the drop-down menu with other tools.

While we're at it, another super-common tool people would want in the toolbar is the Maximizer. Seriously. I bet that is the single most clicked on tool in the menu.
    If people like my scripts, please send me stuffed Hodgmen.
    Universal Recovery, OCD Inventory Control, CounterChecker, newLife, ChIT.

I use Clan all the time. Never use Council, Mushrooms, Radio KoL, or Almanac.

I mean, I use the Almanac now and then, but I didn't even know there was a button for it.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Radio KoL seems to load a dead page, and no one reported that it stopped working, so that one can clearly go.

Council, Mushrooms, and Almanac seem fine to remove. Familiar Trainer probably gets used more by Veracity than anyone else.

Do people use KoLmafia's mail?

I mean, I use the Almanac now and then, but I didn't even know there was a button for it.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Exactly! There's no reason for a button that you'd only click rarely. For that it people can just go into the menu. Exactly why I created this thread to discuss the matter.

Familiar Trainer probably gets used more by Veracity than anyone else.
    Originally Posted by lostcalpolydude View Post
    A low priority button if its a priority for only one person.
    Last edited by Bale; 01-09-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    If people like my scripts, please send me stuffed Hodgmen.
    Universal Recovery, OCD Inventory Control, CounterChecker, newLife, ChIT.

I use Clan. I don't recall ever using Mail. I may augment my comments later.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

We used to have a built-in Mail client. Hola turned it into "open Mail in the Relay Browser" soon after we added the Relay Browser.

Ironic, since Mail is now available via api.php, specifically to support non-Browser Mail clients, we assume.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

The only button I ever use is the button that opens the relay browser. I have also thought from time to time when using KoLmafia on devices with small screens that being able to completely hide the toolbar would be nice.
    Sig by JakAtk
    My scripts: One-Click Wossname | Om******* (??) | Psychose-a-Matic | RandBot
    Combat suite: Best Between Battle | Mer******** (?!) | SmartStasis | BatMan | BatMan RE
    For script authors: ASH Wiki | ZLib | BatBrain | CLI Links | CanAdv | Script Registry | Map Manager | About Bats
    If you appreciate my work, help me become BAT KING OF THE WORLD! Thanks to all donators!

I don't use the toolbar, just the menus.

But I would probably turn it back on, if it got updated to be more useful. Seems that was the reason I turned it off in the first place.

Edit: Thinking on this further, I think that the panels I use most frequently are the ones that I have open as tabs. The toolbar buttons that would be most useful to me would be the ones I use regularly but less frequently. Which lead me to the thought that the toolbar should be user-configurable. For instance, I would never use a maximizer button, if it were in the toolbar, because I have it open as a tab when I start mafia. Though I definitely agree the maximizer should be one of the pre-defined starting buttons.
    Last edited by AlbinoRhino; 01-09-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Clan Manager, Almanac and Preferences are the only ones I can recall using. I too have everything I use often open in Tabs. If every button had an equivalent menu item then I could could easily give up the Toolbar.

I could make a case for User Configuration although I am not sure how I would get from "here" to "there". I think I would make everything have a spot in drop-down menu. Then I would allow items from the drop-down to be optionally displayed in either a tab or as a Toolbar icon. I'll think harder.

If anyone else does look at this, pay attention to the button icons. Before I gave up on making KoLmafia behave better in a high DPI display environment, one of the unsolved issues was that the icons seemed to be of a fixed size and nothing I could figure out made them scale.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    I agree with frono.
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Button I use regularly:
    Item manager, Store manager, Purchase Buffs, Preferences

Buttons I never use:
    Read Kolmail, Chat, Familiar Trainer, Mushroom plot, Radio KoL, Almanac

Buttons I wish existed:
    Modifier Maximizer