Bug - Not A Bug Unusual characters in faxbot monster names cause problems

Malibu Stacey

Running v17.5 r17543 & still seeing this when I try to open the "Request a fax" dialog

Code:
Configuring faxable monsters.
Could not load easyfax configuration from "https://sourceforge.net/p/easyfax/code/HEAD/tree/Easyfax.xml?format=raw"
The entity "trade" was referenced, but not declared.

Crowther

This is (hopefully) unrelated, but Easyfax was down when I got home from work. I had lots internet connectivity issues today, which was likely the cause.

Thanks very much, Crowther, Veracity, xkiv, and anyone else I'm missing, for the fix/improvement!

Easyfax is a daily staple for me, and I've come to rely on it just as much as many internal Mafia features.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Note that for future compatibility, you should also replace any < with < and > with > ; I don't think you will need to escape " or ' - that's only necessary within element attributes, not inside text nodes.
Yes. There are actually monsters with < and > in them.

C<i>bzzt</i>er the Grisly Bear
<s>Killer</s> Festive Arc-Welding Elfbot
<s>Killer</s> Festive Decal-Applying Elfbot
<s>Killer</s> Festive Laser-Calibrating Elfbot
<s>Killer</s> Festive Weapons-Assembly Elfbot

Those last 4 were overwritten with Elfborgs the following Crimbo, we believe.

Interestingly, I don't think the Grisly Bear has character entities in its name, when KoL show him to us on a Fight page. Our monsters.txt agrees with Manuel, and we have raw < and > characters.

If you entity encode monsters before you put them into the XML file, you'll be fine, since he will have < and > in place of < and >, and you will then turn the & into & and it should be handled like any other entity.

zarqon

All this encoding and unencoding of entities makes my head spin a little. Anyway, doesn't look like everything's quite sorted yet, as I just got this with r17547:

Configuring faxable monsters.
Could not load easyfax configuration from "https://sourceforge.net/p/easyfax/code/HEAD/tree/Easyfax.xml?format=raw"
The entity "ccedil" was referenced, but not declared.

Guessing that's for French Francis.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Oops. I submitted debugging code which didn't actually download a new configuration when it configures a faxbot, instead, relying on whatever one you had saved.

Revision 17550.