Bug - Fixed Failure to cast Ancestral Recall not detected

A failed cast causes the counter to increment:

Code:
> /cast ancestral recall

Casting Ancestral Recall.

Setting: _ancestralRecallCasts: 1
Setting: nextAdventure: Generic Summer Holiday Swimming!

Failed attempt at: Generic Summer Holiday Swimming!

> /pull blue mana

Pulling 1 blue mana.

> /cast ancestral recall

Casting Ancestral Recall.

You gain 3 Adventures
Setting: _ancestralRecallCasts: 2

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I have never in my life used "/cast". That makes a chat request to KoLmafia which redirects to the actual URL which uses the skill.

Instead, I just say "cast ancestral recall", which is less typing, one fewer server hit, and will automatically pull the blue mana for you before making that request, and will therefore not fail.

Perhaps I will think to check what actually happens if the cast fails.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I split this off of the "can't multicast Ancestral Recall" thread since it has nothing to do with that. It is its own bug.

I closeted my blue mana and used chat to cast Ancestral Recall. Here is an extract from the DEBUG log:

Code:
Requesting: https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/runskillz.php?whichskill=140&pwd&quantity=1&ajax=1&targetplayer=121572
Retrieved: https://www.kingdomofloathing.com/runskillz.php?whichskill=140&pwd&quantity=1&ajax=1&targetplayer=121572

Retrieving server reply
ResponseText has 597 characters.
<script type="text/javascript">top.charpane.location.href="charpane.php";</script><script type="text/javascript">if (window.updateInv) updateInv([])</script><script type="text/javascript">if (!window.updateInv && parent.mainpane.updateInv) parent.mainpane.updateInv([])</script><center><table  width=95%  cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td style="color: white;" align=center bgcolor=blue><b>Results:</b></td></tr><tr><td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid blue;"><center><table><tr><td>You can't use that skill.</td></tr></table></center></td></tr><tr><td height=4></td></tr></table></center>

Processing results...
Processing result: blue mana (-1)
Processing result:  MP: 0
As you can see, KoL reported "You can't use that skill", but we apparently assumed it just work.

I wonder if there is a different message for when you have the mana but have already cast it 10 times per day? In the latter situation, we usually just set the "times used today" setting to the max.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
With blue mana available after casting 10 times:

You've already recalled a lot of ancestral memories lately. You should probably give your ancestors the rest of the day off.

Sweet.